Rangers news magazine

The last one we did was Rangers Monthly and that stopped with admin in 2012.

Not sure when Rangers News the weekly mag stopped, was definitely into early 00’s they did a big ‘oranje’ special for the 00 cup final

Not sure when Rangers News the weekly mag stopped, was definitely into early 00’s they did a big ‘oranje’ special for the 00 cup final

Fu.ckin admin :(

Not sure when it stopped however I've read somewhere they first came out in 1971 for 5p, I only sprouted in 77 so someone familiar with the 70s will know better, around 87 I started buying it, was 50p and still the old Newspaper style, didn't like them it went changed to the more programme style. Loved the posters, not an inch of horrific 70s wallpaper could be seen in my bedroom.

Not sure when it stopped however I've read somewhere they first came out in 1971 for 5p, I only sprouted in 77 so someone familiar with the 70s will know better, around 87 I started buying it, was 50p and still the old Newspaper style, didn't like them it went changed to the more programme style. Loved the posters, not an inch of horrific 70s wallpaper could be seen in my bedroom.

Same as you but I was 73.

50p and fantastic value, essential when growing up.

Mates were the same, posters even on the roof!

1971 sounds about right, i recall it coming out around our pre season games with Everton on the Friday and Spurs on the Monday

Rangers News

Launched in August 1971 and until to middle of December 1991 it was large paper format than changed to A4 magazine size in December 1991 until end of 1997/98 changed back to large paper at the start of 1998/99 until end of 2000/01 back to A4 size magazine until end of 2010/11

Rangers Monthly
1998-2001

After 2010/11 a monthly magazine was relaunched in July 2011 until admin stopped it

Yeah ive got the full collection

Our local news agent in carlisle stocked them but im sure I remember getting them in the post on subscription

Was a really good read and well done
Emma Dodds was at the Rangers News at the time.she did stuff for the programme as well.she interviewed me about the Dublin loyal shortly after we formed for the programme

I remember buying the first Rangers Monthly. IIRC it had McCoist on the front. For me, around this time was when it should've naturally stopped anyway. Everyone was getting their news from the internet anyway. There's no place for a Rangers News magazine now

I had a paper round in '71 recall it from its first week, bought it religiously from the outset. Moved into an apartment 3 years ago and had to throw loads out I had in the attic, as well as FF.

Loved the poster on here who said everytime he was in the supermarket with his wife he'd hide the septic views behind the Rangers news.

It was a great read back in the day, the supporters clubs notices were brilliant too.

My handsome features have graced the magazine in photo form :))

I still have quite a few Rangers Monthly magazines in a box somewhere.

I won a Rangers Gold video in a competition. :))

My Auntie used to be a photographer for the News. Made it into the publication a few times as a result :)

Used to absolutely love it. Taught lots about the youth teams too, as much as I used to follow a lot of their careers when they left the club. Dad used to get it delivered with the papers on a Weds.

Rangers News

Launched in August 1971 and until to middle of December 1991 it was large paper format than changed to A4 magazine size in December 1991 until end of 1997/98 changed back to large paper at the start of 1998/99 until end of 2000/01 back to A4 size magazine until end of 2010/11

Rangers Monthly
1998-2001

After 2010/11 a monthly magazine was relaunched in July 2011 until admin stopped it
Some of the stuff that got printed in the Rangers Monthly between 1998-2001 was eye opening at the time let alone now.

It was like straight out of a Lads mag of that era like FHM or Loaded.

I used to get the Rangers News every Saturday with my pocket money and I remember one time around 1994 my dad running into the newsagents to get me it and coming back into the car and handing me a magazine with Take That on the front cover.

At first I was thinking WTF is this shit he's picked up, Smash Hits or some nonsense. Turned out Take That had visited Ibrox and were given a tour and the Rangers News featured it. The images of it still appear on here now and then.

Some of the editorials in it were hilarious.

"Thommo Gun" with Stevie Thompson dressed as a New York gangster in the '50s, complete with gattling gun, is one that stands out.

Some of the stuff that got printed in the Rangers Monthly between 1998-2001 was eye opening at the time let alone now.

It was like straight out of a Lads mag of that era like FHM or Loaded.
I remember in one of them they had a feature with Neil McCann and had a sub section of other famous Neils and a short sentence about their careers. It was guys like Neil Morrissey, Neil Diamond etc. It also included Leicester City midfielder Neil Lennon.

Oops.

I remember in one of them they had a feature with Neil McCann and had a sub section of other famous Neils and a short sentence about their careers. It was guys like Neil Morrissey, Neil Diamond etc. It also included Leicester City midfielder Neil Lennon.

Oops.
Haha yeah all their articles they used to have wee boxes like that.

The one I vividly remember is one of the staff writers saying they wanted to have a romp with the sisters from The Corrs and that they would let the brother in too as he was good looking :oops:

It was such an odd magazine at times. They had serious football articles and then it would be filled with stuff about Britney Spears and Kylie Minogue, and CD and PS1 game reviews.

Haha yeah all their articles they used to have wee boxes like that.

The one I vividly remember is one of the staff writers saying they wanted to have a romp with the sisters from The Corrs and that they would let the brother in too as he was good looking :oops:

It was such an odd magazine at times. They had serious football articles and then it would be filled with stuff about Britney Spears and Kylie Minogue, and CD and PS1 game reviews.

Hahaha, wit! I don't remember that at all. Anyone able to scan some of these up?

:p My Auntie used to be a photographer for the News. Made it into the publication a few times as a result :)
I remember cutting out pictures of all the team in different situations and sticking them all together and putting them on my wall. Willie Mathieson only ever seemed to be the same picture whenever he was in it. Loads to choose from Greig,Johnstone etc but not WIllie

Hahaha, wit! I don't remember that at all. Anyone able to scan some of these up?
Mine are all in storage so I can't but hopefully someone else can.

They also once had Michael Mols painted up as Darth Maul on the cover for no real reason.

s-l640.jpg

I mind in the late 70’s getting sent to the corner shop for it

And on the banner at the top
It’s said Britain’s biggest selling football newspaper

I've got them all as well

They're sitting in my brothers loft as I ran out of space in my own loft to store them and my other stuff!!

I’ve just been asked to sell a massive collection of rangers news going back to the 70’s there is hundreds of them , don’t fancy using eBay , any suggestions ???

One of my memories is that they did a feature profiling the youth team. And all I remember is Bob Malcolm had hair.

Still have the issue from the week we lost Coop, it’s a treasured possession.

And remember before it was all colour and glossy the old newspaper style weekly had a feature on Lovely Aimi MacDonald back in the early 80s. Her da was a surgeon from Glasgow and a big Rangers fan and she was pictured in full kit. It was a favourite for teenage me!

Still have the issue from the week we lost Coop, it’s a treasured possession.

And remember before it was all colour and glossy the old newspaper style weekly had a feature on Lovely Aimi MacDonald back in the early 80s. Her da was a surgeon from Glasgow and a big Rangers fan and she was pictured in full kit. It was a favourite for teenage me!
Fond memories of Miss Rangers news when they did that as well :)

Fond memories of Miss Rangers news when they did that as well :)
I've got a picture of my Dad with Miss Rangers News and the Scottish Cup, think from 1981, somewhere.

Think it was taken inside the old Rangers store on the Copland corner.

Back