Rangers Open Transfer Talks With West Ham RB Ben Johnson

Thought he said he wanted to stay where he was
It was a bit of a puff peice with not much substance when that came out. It wasn’t any direct quotes from him, it was the club president basically saying they want to keep him, but at the same time they also can’t afford him and are trying to make a deal with his parent club. He said something along the lines of the player has been sold on the idea or similar, but I’d take it with a massive pinch of salt.

Especially when Fluminese can take an (apparently) already agreed straightforward fee from us, or have to bargain and work around a deal with the loan team he’s with.

Everything seems to be revolving around a massive wage demand here (£50k per week or more) which makes me think this is a no-go and agent blather as we run up to silly season. Tav would need to be leaving as well and there’s no genuine signs of that happening.

The only way we could make it work in a way we could compete is (for example) with a big signing on fee, a good but not EPL level wage and a gain share on a sale to be brokered after (say) 2 years.

Everything seems to be revolving around a massive wage demand here (£50k per week or more) which makes me think this is a no-go and agent blather as we run up to silly season. Tav would need to be leaving as well and there’s no genuine signs of that happening.

The only way we could make it work in a way we could compete is (for example) with a big signing on fee, a good but not EPL level wage and a gain share on a sale to be brokered after (say) 2 years.
on the face of it I agree, 50 grand a week maybe too rich for us, but we'll have some high waged players leaving, Roofe, and maybe Tav, Goldson and Borna

Agree. I'm a little surprised with the revamped recruitment, Koppen + Clement that we're going into this market.

In order to attract them to Scotland, we end up offering long-term contracts on significant wages... and are then unable to move them on.

Johnson has been linked with Eredivisie clubs recently too. Feyenoord in particular have been linked. Seems like it's not just British sides who are keeping tabs on him.

Really, really fed up reading awful takes like this on here and elsewhere. Where do you even begin pointing out the inaccuracies?

In what way is it awful… Lawrence, Dowell + Davies, for example, are likely costing us over 60k per week.

Players from the Championship and Premiership are generally on a downward trajectory and yet we indulge them with significant contracts in order to attract them to Scotland.

It’s an inflated and over-hyped market.

Our successes have come from League 1 & youth level.

Butland is an exception, thus far.

In what way is it awful… Lawrence, Dowell + Davies, for example, are likely costing us over 60k per week.

Players from the Championship and Premiership are generally on a downward trajectory and yet we indulge them with significant contracts in order to attract them to Scotland.

It’s an inflated and over-hyped market.

Our successes have come from League 1 & youth level.

Butland is an exception, thus far.
A Michael Beale signing in Dowell and Lawrence is one that I feel does no harm to take a punt on but clearly hasn’t worked out.

Even Klopp’s Liverpool grabbed Davies so I can’t really blame us for assessing a cost benefit analysis that indicated he may also have been worth a shot.

The longer list of your Bassey, Goldson, Kent, Aribo, Arfield, Butland, Defoe, resigning Davis, Tav, Sterling, Cantwell clearly shows the merits of the largest and strongest football league system in Europe. I’m not saying they all have to be EPL but there is a shunning of any business south of the border prevailing that is really illogical

I'd be more than happy to see Tav leave, Johnson at right back and Sterling in midfield.

With regards to Tav, as a club with only one title since we came back up there can be no room for sentiment, no matter which player is to leave.

I care more about winning league titles than I do about sentimental stuff on players.

Changes are required all over.

I'd be more than happy to see Tav leave, Johnson at right back and Sterling in midfield.

With regards to Tav, as a club with only one title since we came back up there can be no room for sentiment, no matter which player is to leave.

I care more about winning league titles than I do about sentimental stuff on players.

Changes are required all over.
I can’t understand why people are so fearful of this. It’s as though we’ll fall apart if we replace him. That OF surely had to be the last straw for any sane fan.

A bit strange imo when we have Sterling as a back RB if required

Maybe there are legs in the Tavernier rumours
It’s not that strange when we frequently deploy Sterling as a left back, midfielder, winger and kit man.

He’s also in the strange position of his position to trade not being where we’re most likely to use him. Long term, I’d expect Sterling to settle down into a midfield role who can cover all over.

Wish all these rumours and noise about our players future would happen after these last remaining games. You can see the effect of the Turkey move on borna and lundstram. Goldson and Tav have been off it for a while too, last year Kamara almost took an allergic reaction to pulling on our shirt. Even silva not being renewed will have an impact on these key games. It all creates instability and reduces our teams focus and resolve.

Wouldn’t surprise me if some of this is initiated by the pr team at Celtic or the usual client journalists spinning utter shit. It’s not helpful.

That said so many out of contract players at the one time is also a total administrative miscalculation on our part.

If we win the league and have CL money anything can happen
We are not going to be paying him more than 50k he's obviously looking for. He we will end up with Palace. We can't compete with established PL teams, CL money or not.

We are not going to be paying him more than 50k he's obviously looking for. He we will end up with Palace. We can't compete with established PL teams, CL money or not.
Youre probably right, maybe hell accept less to play in the CL

Not sure I really welcome us looking at players being released by English clubs.

We need to move away from that market..it's lazy and it's not served us particularly well recently.
Define " recently " .....

Calvin Bassey

I see this as end of season paper talk , the guy seems to be a decent player with a few options, in order for us to sign anyone the deadwood needs to be cleared so we know how much we have to spend.

Would love this to be true as he’s a very good player but I can’t see it unfortunately

Would love to be wrong

It does but we seem to always dip into thay market and get it wrong. We have a bit of the "they play in England so must be great" about our recruitment.

Obviously we've had exceptions like Butland.
Correct, so why can’t this lad be another exception?
If there is a footballing reason not to sign the lad, that’s different but ruling out a whole market cannot be wise.
It’s not as if we’re paying an EPL fee for him.

Can’t see this happening tbh. Would imagine he will have plenty of other offers and if there is Prem interest in Crystal Palace his wage demands will be beyond what we would offer.

Would be a pleasant surprise if we land him and probably means Tav is leaving.

Interesting summer ahead I feel

I highly doubt we’ll be offering anything close to £50k a week. Maybe £30k if Tav was to leave, but I’d be surprised if Johnson accepted that with the rumours of other EPL interest.

Back