Rangers red card argument torpedoed by former Premier League referee as he backs up Jon McLaughlin decision

Yellow card. Balogun was on the cover
That's irrelevant. There is no such thing as "last man", never has been. It's always about they denying of a clear goalscoring opportunity. If you go round the keeper in the centre of the goal it will always be classed as such

A few seasons ago McLaughlin would have, rightly, walked for the penalty incident on Saturday. Now with the way the rules are he was correctly cautioned.

Personally, don't see what will the fuss is about, other than a)Rangers are seen to be beneficiaries and b) too many in Scottish football have no idea how to interpret the laws of the game.

Just seen a clip of Allison McConnell on PLZ saying it should’ve been a red. Scum fans in the media genuinely must ignore the rules to suit themselves. Beyond parody!

That's irrelevant. There is no such thing as "last man", never has been. It's always about they denying of a clear goalscoring opportunity. If you go round the keeper in the centre of the goal it will always be classed as such

A few seasons ago McLaughlin would have, rightly, walked for the penalty incident on Saturday. Now with the way the rules are he was correctly cautioned.

Personally, don't see what will the fuss is about, other than a)Rangers are seen to be beneficiaries and b) too many in Scottish football have no idea how to interpret the laws of the game.
I think the point is he knocked it past McLaughlin and wasn’t getting the ball therefore there was no clear goalscoring opportunity.

Just seen a clip of Allison McConnell on PLZ saying it should’ve been a red. Scum fans in the media genuinely must ignore the rules to suit themselves. Beyond parody!
I remember Boyd pulled them up live on Sky last season (don't recall the exact incident)
He says d something like, I don't care what you say, what you think, what you want done or what 'used' to happen...The RULES are x,y,z and you are wrong you Rangers hating bigots

I think the point is he knocked it past McLaughlin and wasn’t getting the ball therefore there was no clear goalscoring opportunity.
It's not relevant if the referee deems that that keeper has made an attempt to play the ball.

Dermot was a great referee.
However, he is a self-confessed Celtc supporting nut.
Given all of the many fantastic referees that have been produced in England over the years, it is tantamount to trolling the Rangers support that Dermot is given the gig to comment on Scottish football by Sky.
Scottish football is unique in its bipartisan set-up and by Sky ignoring this almost always in a determining favour of one particular side of that set-up tells us much.
It is a rotten organisation for us to give our money to and the sooner we can find successful methods of withholding our dough from it, the better.
I don't think it crossed Sky's mind when selecting Gallagher. High profile ex referee. Is it only Scotland where every supporter thinks refs are bent ?

I don't think it crossed Sky's mind when selecting Gallagher. High profile ex referee. Is it only Scotland where every supporter thinks refs are bent ?
I wish I had your faith.
It also isn't about whether a man is bent or not.
Rather it is about perception.
Organisations like Sky have to present balance and they must be aware of how people perceive that presentation and how balanced it appears.
I don't believe they are unaware of Gallagher's background nor his proclivities in the world of football.
I would suggest that they just don't care.
Some might see this as just another GIRFUY from Sky.

Yellow card. Balogun was on the cover
Last man and cover is irrelevant mate, the rule is if its classed as a clear goalscoring opportunity. Plus as DD said if an attempt to play the ball is made and a penalty awarded then you cant send the man off.

Doesn’t have to be “last man”!
There is no “last man” rule!
I know the rule but you more or less have to be the last man for it to be invoked.

My point was that McPake used the last man argument to justify his red card claim.

I'm suggesting that it was a moot point.

Dermot Gallagher agreed with Bobby Madden's call to award a penalty to Dundee but stop short of a sending off in Saturday's Premiership clash.

Former English Premier League referee Dermot Gallagher insists Bobby Madden was correct not to dismiss Jon McLaughlin in Rangers' 1-0 win over Dundee.
McLaughlin took out Paul McMullan in the Gers box and gave away the spot-kick – before then stopping Jason Cummings' attempt with his legs.
Crucially, despite being the last man, Madden did not send the keeper off.

And with Joe Aribo's goal proving the difference, Rangers would hold on at Dens Park for a vital 1-0 win while rivals Celtic dropped more points the following day.
Dee boss James McPake was furious at full time and even earned a red card after the match from referee Bobby Madden.

But Gallagher, who spent 15 years officiating at the top level in English football, insists the SFA man was spot on.

Speaking on Sky Sports News, he said: "I think it's a penalty and I think it's a yellow card.
"He's tried to get the ball, that's what the double jeopardy is about.
"He'd have been very, very unlucky to go in with his feet and be sent off.
"If he's gone to grab the player around the waist then there's more of a case."
Who said it should’ve been a red card? Someone who doesn’t know the laws of the game obviously.

Given all of the many fantastic referees that have been produced in England over the years, it is tantamount to trolling the Rangers support that Dermot is given the gig to comment on Scottish football by Sky.
Scottish football is unique in its bipartisan set-up and by Sky ignoring this almost always in a determining favour of one particular side of that set-up tells us much.
It is a rotten organisation for us to give our money to and the sooner we can find successful methods of withholding our dough from it, the better.

In all the Rangers/Celtic incidents that Gallagher has been asked to look at down the years I have always been of the opinion he has given an honest opinion, with no hint of bias towards the Scum.

His “gig” isn’t about Scottish football though,
His slot is about commenting on refereeing decisions and occasionally one concerning Rangers comes up.
From memory, I’m sure he’s “ruled in our favour” more often than not.
Tell me, would you rather a Scottish referee was used for this slot?

His “gig” isn’t about Scottish football though,
His slot is about commenting on refereeing decisions and occasionally one concerning Rangers comes up.
From memory, I’m sure he’s “ruled in our favour” more often than not.
Tell me, would you rather a Scottish referee was used for this slot?
No.
Just a top retired English referee with no emotional investment in Scottish football.
I am sure there will be one or two.

In all the Rangers/Celtic incidents that Gallagher has been asked to look at down the years I have always been of the opinion he has given an honest opinion, with no hint of bias towards the Scum.
I admit I haven't kept count.
But that isn't the point.

Only in Scotland do absolute idiots want to ignore a simple (albeit relatively new) rule like this one.

It's not difficult - if the player goes for the ball and a penalty is awarded, it's not a red card.

Only in Scotland do absolute idiots want to ignore a simple (albeit relatively new) rule like this one.

It's not difficult - if the player goes for the ball and a penalty is awarded, it's not a red card.
“What I think, if you look at Balogun….”

No one cares what you think, Shawlands last line is the rule and is all that matters. ;)

Back