Rangers response to Mark Daly's Gordon Neely article

So after reading the article this sensationalism is based upon non record of the report from the Police and an article in the Rangers News. Why would Rangers print anything in the Rangers News detailing such acts and how can it be relied upon 100% from the police that the report was never made. We should have the lawyers in to confront this head on and get an investigation internally to set a tone on how to deal with such events. Its beyond a joke how certain sections will look to smear us to settle the balance. Fucking boke!

BBC Scotland have not covered this story again this morning on 6.25 Scottish bulletin so I wonder if clubs lawyers have got involved

We should take them all the way this time

Daly and co need to taken to court for that report last night
Think you are bang on the money here, someone has closed threm down the 06.55 slot had nothing

I think this reeks of "we can't accuse celtic of stuff without also throwing something at Rangers"

it wouldn't surprise me if this story is a pre-cursor to soften the way for the big story coming out about those scumbags across the city.

This isn’t a PR issue for Rangers.

We need to present the facts. Simple as that. Souness and Smith need to speak up publicly about the events they witnessed, as do any directors then involved and still living. All those still alive need to clear this up.

After that, I’d permanently ban BBC Scotland. Absolute tramps with the clearest possible anti Rangers agenda

I get what you mean. Sacked and we don’t dignify the cretin with any mention. Not sure it matters, Daily and the BBC were hell bent on dragging us into it. The story is totally sensationalised, which the BBC have absolutely no mandate for doing, they left pretty vital and important facts out of it, such as the lads father was a serving police officer and as far as I can see made no attempt to contact people who were actually at the meeting. A total hatchet job!

For sure it is! The BBC have an agenda against us and that is very clear; however the best response to that is an independent inquiry that gets all the facts out on the table. If it vindicates us then you can tell them ram their rumours up their pipes and go after them for libel.

Just shouting "It's not true, the BBC have an agenda" allows that doubt to exist.

Truthfully it would hurt a lot to hear our club had not done the correct thing in regards to Neely but if it has happened then the truth should be sought. Arguing any differently while wanting the scum to be hammered for their horrific past is duplicitous.

The problem with this case is that the boy's father would be heavily involved in how it was dealt with. He is now dead.

Maybe he just wanted Souness to give Neely a rollicking and force his resignation.

From a legal perspective, would any allegation of a criminal act not have to come from the boy (and/or his father if the boy was still a child)?

This is where the story seems to come unstuck.

Yes, we did the responsible thing via the meeting with the serving policeman father and the son. He was the serving copper with his duty as both a parent and policeman to report this to take it down a legal route. We did report it to the police as he was a serving officer at the time and it was his call to take this even further

For sure it is! The BBC have an agenda against us and that is very clear; however the best response to that is an independent inquiry that gets all the facts out on the table. If it vindicates us then you can tell them ram their rumours up their pipes and go after them for libel.

Just shouting "It's not true, the BBC have an agenda" allows that doubt to exist.

Truthfully it would hurt a lot to hear our club had not done the correct thing in regards to Neely but if it has happened then the truth should be sought. Arguing any differently while wanting the scum to be hammered for their horrific past is duplicitous.

i hope this happens now

The problem with this case is that the boy's father would be heavily involved in how it was dealt with. He is now dead.

Maybe he just wanted Souness to give Neely a rollicking and force his resignation.

From a legal perspective, would any allegation of a criminal act not have to come from the boy (and/or his father if the boy was still a child)?

This is where the story seems to come unstuck.

I think the club needed to challenge the inference that Neely had been abusing before the incident with the policeman's son.

We should have demanded a retraction of that paragraph and an apology for its inclusion. Perhaps this is something we're pursuing today?

On the whole though it appears we are probably dealing with the same solitary incident that's been reported in the past but rehashed this time to make it look like we didn't pursue it via the correct channels and questioning why that was.

We're being dragged into something over nothing really, but it would be dangerous of us to feel last night's statement is all that's required to dismiss the desperation to bind us to Celtic's years of abuse.

Unless I have read this wrong, there are three main points here.

"The investigation uncovered an article in the club’s newspaper marking his departure, which made no mention of abuse concerns and wished him “every success in the future”.

1)The whole story is about an article in the Rangers news, not about any abuse claims.

2)This has been worked by the BBC into this whole furore, by describing it as a cover-up.

3)By doing so they have attempted to put us on a par with the convicted paedophiles of Celtic.

If ever an organisation needed a visit from our legal team it is this publicly funded one who continually breaches their own regulations. We should be actively asking for a root and branch inquiry into all aspects of child abuse in this country. Not the watered-down version ran by the SNP that omits sports clubs and faith-based groups.

BBC are a disgrace, never used the phrase 'cover up' once with everything at celtic and they come up with this based of a Rangers News article from 30 years ago.

Sadly for them nobody down here (London) is paying it any notice and celtic's past is still well known by the football fans I work with.

Yes, we did the responsible thing via the meeting with the serving policeman father and the son. He was the serving copper with his duty as both a parent and policeman to report this to take it down a legal route. We did report it to the police as he was a serving officer at the time and it was his call to take this even further

Daly hasn't asked the obvious question - why did you and your father not make the allegation to the police?

This drivel is designed simply to draw a false parallel between Rangers and Celtic and appeal to the hard-of-thinking.

it’s not.

You are needing to pin the posts you did yesterday on the subject that explained everything about the case as posters just seem to be ignoring the good information in them.
Then when the same questions are asked a thousand times we can just point to the pinned posts stops all the misinformation we are seeing now.

The statement's good, but not hard-hiting enough.

It's time for Rangers to stand up and go to war with the BBC. Our Legal team should be all over this like a nasty rash. Heads need to roll!

A blind man on a galloping horse can see what's happening here!

The BBC need to be called out for using the term " Cover up " and forced to substantiate or withdraw that statement.

The Club is now under attack like never before, and that statement doesn't come close to dealing with it.

Shit just got real.

I'm not going to claim I know the ins and outs of what happened that night it was reported (or not) to the police. I just know that it's unbelievable biased reporting from the BBC. I don't see any articles on the known abuse that took place in the East End of Glasgow.

And the fact it's reported based on Police Scotland not having a record of something? That doesn't mean it didn't happen. This is the same organisation who lost the evidence of the hanging effigies! Have they never heard of Google Images?

What else you expecting at this stage ?

Nothing seems to satisfy you about our club.

Things will going on behind the scenes.

You want all the hands dealt early ?

We've heard all this for years, it's no more than fore-lock touching and wishful thinking. 'All the hands'? Can you be specific or is it just more deflection? And what would exactly be wrong in this case with all the hands being dealt early?
Our statement should have called for an immediate and open, independent, in-depth investigation into abuse in Scottish Football and stated that the club would do all it could to bring this about and then facilitate it.
The club needs a CEO who will robustly champion its interests on and off the pitch.
Stop listening to snakes like Traynor and McLelland, Mr. King. Give us a day-to-day leader.

Daly hasn't asked the obvious question - why did you and your father not make the allegation to the police?

This drivel is designed simply to draw a false parallel between Rangers and Celtic and appeal to the hard-of-thinking.

Because that didn't fit in with the agenda.

Also, the "tone" of the actors' voice in that clip was designed to incriminate Rangers.

This is an absolute stitch-up and Rangers need to call Daly and the BBC out.

Reading the comments on here and thinking about it I really can’t believe the hatchet job here. Even by BBC standards! They assert a cover up based on a tiny article, fail to mention the lads father was an active police officer, fail to ask why his parents did not take it further with the police (as a father I would not be relying on any third party to report it, I’d be doing it and I’m not knocking the guys parents, his father is a police officer he maybe knew the chance of conviction was low and didn’t want his son put through that or something, but we know Rangers reported it), did not seek comment from Smith or Souness as far as I can see, and most importantly in my opinion is he never questioned Hibs as to why they covered Neely up and did not inform Rangers he was a beast, as if they did this was entirely avoidable. They have questions to answer, not this hatchet job trying to draw us in to that mob in the east end!

We've heard all this for years, it's no more than fore-lock touching and wishful thinking. 'All the hands'? Can you be specific or is it just more deflection? And what would exactly be wrong in this case with all the hands being dealt early?
Our statement should have called for an immediate and open, independent, in-depth investigation into abuse in Scottish Football and stated that the club would do all it could to bring this about and then facilitate it.
The club needs a CEO who will robustly champion its interests on and off the pitch.
Stop listening to snakes like Traynor and McLelland, Mr. King. Give us a day-to-day leader.

Post of the thread!

" Neely would carry on abusing at Rangers until a complaint was made in 1991, which led to his dismissal. " This deliberately misleading phrase in that scandalous article infers that Neely had a free rein at Ibrox to abuse at will. It is disgraceful journalism.

Its propaganda and its working.

We're tainted and it doesnt matter what we do now. The failure to act over the years has led us to the point where we are classed as cheats, sectarian bigots, racists and now paedo's engaged in a cover up. I dont think they can do any more damage.

So much for "keep our own house in order and they cant touch us".

Dunno if it's been raised but the part about us basing previous descriptions on accounts of persons present at that time is extremely weak.

We either reported it to the Police or we did not.

The omission leads me to believe that we didn't, which is shameful.

Sorry but the statement is far from strong enough for my liking. If we were absolutely sure we had done the right thing then we should have publicly eviscerated the BBC and called for a full public enquiry to clear our name.
Aye no bother John paul.

according to the sun both Parents knew and went to the club about the alleged threat to spank their sons Bum and they did nothing about it, son comes out thirty years later and runs to the media calling himself John..
why would you hide behind a name when nothing physical actually happened
you wouldnt go the police if they were already informed of the alleged threat

not only calling the club liars the BBC are calling our two former Managers liars who dealt with it.

Ban the BBC from Ibrox and all use of our name

So the fact the boys father was a police officer meant the police already knew about it before the club did. I don’t understand where the ‘cover up’ was supposed to be. We couldn’t have even if the club wanted to.

None of the reports mention anyone other than Souness or Smith.

I'm struggling to see why they would be directly involved in a serious allegation against a youth coach. There were obvious potential repercussions in terms of the law and they had no relevant expertise.
Because they don’t like the song big jock knew.

they are looking for an equaliser against their euro cup winning manager kicking Torbett out and then letting him back. Expect a green brigade glee fest sullying Walter and souness very soon.

He’s an utter cant and has in a few sentences fucked up our good name , as they say shit sticks and he knows it. No chance of finding any old police record of this, if as originally reported only verbal abuse it’s unlikely it would be reported as a crime simply a note in a desk book. Having been in polis stations with the council many times I’ve seen old decommissioned rooms full of piles of old files just dumped. There would be little chance of finding this and this wee bastard knows it. Club need to call him out , it’s one thing to say there is no record of report to police quite an other to say it was not made .

Because they don’t like the song big jock knew.

they are looking for an equaliser against their euro cup winning manager kicking Torbett out and then letting him back. Expect a green brigade glee fest sullying Walter and souness very soon.

Got it in one. That's what they were after and one of their cult members, Mark Daly, has just delivered. He should get a ST for life.

So the fact the boys father was a police officer meant the police already knew about it before the club did. I don’t understand where the ‘cover up’ was supposed to be. We couldn’t have even if the club wanted to.
No, that's not true, not if it wasn't reported. Big difference between an individual cop knowing and it being officially reported.

Mr Souness and Mr Smith can put this to bed very quickly
Not really. They can of course tell their story and I hope they do, but it then just becomes their word against the alleged victims.

there’s probably no way to conclusively prove anything now which will just give the haters ammo to keep spouting this.

We need the best PR firm money can buy and we need it yesterday, if we can find cash for the Grezda deal and possibly Ojo on a permanent deal and if we had to then go for crowd funding, there is no point having players if the team and club are getting destroyed on an almost daily basis.
Every day I come on here and read the same "club can't stand for that" "somone needs to write to", We need the very best we can get starting yesterday. We need to go on the attack, I am not a wealthy dude but I will pledge £100 if anyone can help set up the crowd funding
KB

No, that's not true, not if it wasn't reported. Big difference between an individual cop knowing and it being officially reported.

Why didn’t the boy’s father report the incident to police?

Did the boy and his father want to become involved in a potential court case? Many abuse victims don’t.

I can see Rangers contacting police to raise a red flag over Neely and his work with children but I can’t see how the club could make a criminal allegation by itself.

True, but you'd expect a cop to report it officially if he knew.
That's fair comment as an outsider. But the cop would have known exactly what would happen to his son if he had gone official. I have no knowledge of this but perhaps the Dad put his boy's future first.

We need the best PR firm money can buy and we need it yesterday, if we can find cash for the Grezda deal and possibly Ojo on a permanent deal and if we had to then go for crowd funding, there is no point having players if the team and club are getting destroyed on an almost daily basis.
Every day I come on here and read the same "club can't stand for that" "somone needs to write to", We need the very best we can get starting yesterday. We need to go on the attack, I am not a wealthy dude but I will pledge £100 if anyone can help set up the crowd funding

according to the sun both Parents knew and went to the club about the alleged threat to spank their sons Bum and they did nothing about it, son comes out thirty years later and runs to the media calling himself John..
why would you hide behind a name when nothing physical actually happened
you wouldnt go the police if they were already informed of the alleged threat

not only calling the club liars the BBC are calling our two former Managers liars who dealt with it.

Ban the BBC from Ibrox and all use of our name

I think this guy smells money and that he knows nothing happened physically to him and that we did have the meeting with his then serving police officer father/so we did contact the police and covered nothing up.

He knows his dad is dead and that Alistair Hood is dead so can't contradict him and his version of events and then we are left with slurs an innuendo. he is for me attacking the memory of his own father as he is then saying his serving police officer father didn't his duty as both a father and policeman

Back