Rangers response to Mark Daly's Gordon Neely article

I read it once and 1st thought was not near strong enough a response. I hoped for a strong affirmation from the club that we did indeed contact the police at the time and that we stand by that. We should also have used this as a platform to demand a full enquiry into any and all abuse within Scottish football.

Last edited:
Good statement from the club. And I firmly believe this will not be the last you hear of this. The allegation made is highly libellous and could potentially ruin our brand. For those looking for more, the club can't deal all their hands at once, there will be further comment made when appropriate

Good response but feel could have expanded on to Hibs...no mention per se but a comment along this would not have happened had a fellow club who were aware of his crimes had contacted us.
Put the heat on the Spoonburners and see if they call out the Dhims in defence.

No need to mention hibs, though I agree they are at fault here, if we do that it looks as if we are shifting the blame.

Rangers response to Mark Daly's Gordon Neely article

‘BBC Scotland’s reporting on these horrific incidents and, in particular, its sensationalist and unfair accusation of a cover up by Rangers is disgraceful.

'Rangers based its prior description as to what occurred on trusted first-hand accounts from those with personal knowledge of what took place and the appropriate steps taken at that time. To suggest, as BBC Scotland’s Mark Daly has done, that these are invalidated by a short, filler piece in the Rangers News written almost 30 years ago by someone who clearly had no knowledge of the events, or the reasons for Neely’s sacking is nonsense. Indeed, it is shameful.

'BBC Scotland has a history of inaccurate reporting when commenting on Rangers and a string of apologies given to Rangers by BBC Scotland in recent times is clear evidence of this. However, on a matter of such gravity we do not think it is unreasonable to expect better than Mr Daly’s report.

'The important people here are the victims of abuse and we owe it to them to deal sensitively and supportively with the issues they raise.

'Rangers will do all it can to assist in offering support and counselling to anyone affected. Their wellbeing should be at the centre of every right thinking person’s concern.

'Ridiculous claims of a cover up against those seeking to deal with such matters in a sensitive manner suggests sensationalism and in this instance point to a desire to attack Rangers as being more important to those reporting these horrific incidents than looking after the victims of abuse.’
Well Done Rangers we don't need a fvcking secret 2 year investigation

Good response but feel could have expanded on to Hibs...no mention per se but a comment along this would not have happened had a fellow club who were aware of his crimes had contacted us.
Put the heat on the Spoonburners and see if they call out the Dhims in defence.

We should just go beyond the 'fellow club' and lay it bare.

Nothing surprises me with these cûnts.

We absolutely should pursue Daly after this disgraceful episode.

We most likely will and we’ll most likely win and he’ll have his careers in tatters

Good I hear you cry, but then what?

What other journalists have “investigated” Shame FC at all over this?

None. Zip. Zero. Nada.

We’ll destroy the only person exposing them and their scummery.

Qui bono?

We should, for once, be grateful to the BBC for this piece.

It has now presented the perfect justification for a full, independent enquiry into historical child abuse within Scottish Football.

Rangers should now use this as an opportunity to champion this cause.

We’ve nothing to hide & it’s time the truth came out.

I reckon a few arses in the media will be twitching overnight over what has just happened.

Poke a bear too much .......

Thus far we've done nothing more than complain.
I wonder what our reaction will be to tomorrows sensationalist headlines that will drag our club straight into the sewer.

bbc scotland know exactly what they are doing is nothing more than an attack on Rangers and nothing to do with support or help for any victims. Sensationalism helps no one. Especially unfounded and unproven stories.But it's the bbc scotland way with us.

Incase anyone has missed the added final paragraph.

'Ridiculous claims of a cover up against those seeking to deal with such matters in a sensitive manner suggests sensationalism and in this instance point to a desire to attack Rangers as being more important to those reporting these horrific incidents than looking after the victims of abuse.’

make the BBC apologise , horrible, they must have something on celtic but before they can report on them , they are trying to soften the blow by reporting on us

It will be interesting to see if this does materialise over the next week or so.

This won’t be the end of this

Rangers did need to put out a quick response, but we should now be gathering evidence that rebuts all of Daly’s libellous claims and then taking it to the press complaints office, the BBC Trust and the courts
Absolutely. This now has to be the watershed moment whereby we do not take anymore from this organisation and meet them head on in the courts. We need to litigate against these people as this is scandalous.

With such dreadful subject matter, to stoop so low as to come out with this, when we know of the systematic abhorrent behaviour elsewhere which they chose to report in the lightest of terms. They believe they are untouchable and can say and do as they please.

I really hope the Rangers hierarchy take these bastards on.

We should, for once, be grateful to the BBC for this piece.

It has now presented the perfect justification for a full, independent enquiry into child abuse within Scottish Football.

Rangers should now use this as an opportunity to champion this cause.

We’ve nothing to hide & it’s time the truth came out.

The situation screams to me (I’m on holiday and only have the online highlights not seen BBC news)

1. Mark Daly desperately wants his original handywork, partly exposing Celtic to come to a head while theres still a chance it can. Why a more elaborate expose, piecing together a network, a jigsaw hasnt arrived, is maybe for another discussion.

2. Other people within Scottish society in key positions are desperate to minimise reputational damage to Celtic. That is to say, confirmed undeniable, forever etched in history that all the convictions happened in Celtics name, as long term enablers and facilitators. Is not a preferred outcome. Particularly with no other clubs ruined alongside.

3. He’s got gleeful permission from BBC to take the punt on bringing Rangers into it, somehow, anyhow, to help points 1 and 2. When it’s not even in the same sphere as the confirmed prolonged repeated (and linked ?) outrages that see people currently in jail. To qualify that, a man was referred to Rangers as a strong candidate by Hibernian (who should not have done so) his mask slipped in a horrific move on 1 child and he was removed, terminated, reported. Done.

It is a ridiculous leap by Daly, but given his employer and likely frustration at point 1, a News of the World level ridiculous move isnt that big a loss if it goes wrong.

Good response from the club, no need to be threatening in a response to gutter press; just state the facts available and focus the attention where it should be, on getting justice for victims of child abuse.

Back