Rangers set to sign Sporting Lisbon kid Umaro Balde on two year deal

KGR98

RANGERS are set to clinch the signing of highly-rated Sporting Lisbon midfielder Umaro Balde.
The Light Blues have enjoyed a successful campaign at youth level after winning honours at a number of age groups and Balde will now look to take the next step in his career by completing a move to Glasgow.
Rangers won the Reserve League at Under-20s level, lifted the Under-18 League and Youth Cup double and also won the Al Kass Cup in Qatar.
Balde will now commit his future to Rangers as the Portuguese youth international prepares to put pen-to-paper on a two-year deal.
Boss Steven Gerrard has involved a number of his up-and-coming kids with the first team throughout the campaign and handed 17-year-old Dapo Mebude his debut in the final game of the Premiership campaign against Kilmarnock on Sunday.
The striker replaced Daniel Candeias for the last half an hour of the game as Rangers suffered a 2-1 defeat at Rugby Park and Gerrard will take a handful of youth players with his Light Blues squad on their pre-season training camp next month.
Balde is now poised to join the ranks at the Hummel Training Centre as he looks to progress after rising through the levels in a Sporting setup that has produced a string of international stars in recent years.
The Bissau-born holding midfielder has impressed Academy staff after travelling to Glasgow for a trial and Rangers won't need to pay a fee to conclude a deal this summer.
Rangers have invested significantly in their youth structure in recent years in an attempt to produce players capable of moving into the first team and it is believed that Albanian prospect Albert Rachi, who joined Tottenham Hotspur last year, is also on their radar for next season.
The Gers are also interested in Kilmarnock kid Liam Smith and are amongst a host of clubs - including English Treble winners Manchester City - to have scouted the Rugby Park striker in recent months.

In a couple years I believe the squad will be similar to Ajax’s with lots of young talented players alongside experienced players. The amount of trophies the youth team has won this year has been phenomenal. I would like to see the likes of McPake and Mebude more next season. By buying young players and breaking them into the first team is the way forward and also allows the club to cash in greatly when these players move on.

Last edited:
Knew you’d like it

We’ve had loads of youth lads in on trials recently, Portuguese, American etc - nice to see us casting the net for these lads
It’s good to see that a future is being thought about by picking up raw young talent to turn them into first team players in years to come without having to spend millions every year, hopefully we uncover a few diamonds

Everything looks so positive. We are doing the right thing and being noticed on a worldwide scale to further attract.

Need to find a way to now introduce. Middleton playing a big part with mebude and mcpake getting 30/60/90 every few games. Need to show lads they get chance!

Watching NFL (random pished) the rookies get a chance and take. It’s pressure but handle and you have a star.
Our game fragile or what’s stopping giving young lads a go and grasping as not top standard.

I’m sure ID10 told us this earlier I’m another thread.

Think it was the Daniel candeias intstagram one.

Has the situation at Lisbon stabalised somewhat? I was under the impression that a lot of their senior players had f**ked-off after their Ultras got down on them.

Let's be honest with ourselves, none of us have a damned clue as to why he is leaving Sporting Lisbon and coming here. I can think of a number of potential reasons, some good, some less good.

Is he a prodigy wonder kid with a sad back story, and has many clubs including the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, PSG etc. Interested who we beat off to sign which makes it a total coup? :)):)) nah only the mhanks sign those players.

Last edited:
It's really promising that our young players are doing so well and so important for our future.
I think it's Craig Mulholland that said he likes to test the young players by playing them against age groups that are a couple of years older?
I believe the most of the lads that won the Alkass Cup can play in it again next year and some for the next couple?
The future is looking very good and exciting.

Let's be honest with ourselves, none of us have a damned clue as to why he is leaving Sporting Lisbon and coming here. I can think of a number of potential reasons, some good, some less good.
Of course that’s true. However the fact he has been at us on loan suggests our coaching staff think he is better than what we already have at that level which has to be a good thing.

Doing this type of thing is what we should have prioritised from 2012, however better late than never, we really do appear to be on the right track in every area of the club now.

We’re going to have more Balde’s than a Kojak convention.

I didn’t notice what age he was, what age group will he playing in?

Rangers have got this model up and running and I’m hopeful it will produce for us.

Is he not a " wonderkid " Why do WE never sign " wonderkids "
That was exactly my thought. I can only surmise that it is because he signing for the Rangers who deal in normality not exaggeration and certainly not in “Dembele dollars”.

Having watched some the youth games on YouTube I can see why the Club are picking up a reputation for developing youth players. All that is needed is for some of these players to become first team regulars.

Is he not a " wonderkid " Why do WE never sign " wonderkids "

Our youth set up seems to be producing good 'teams' but when are we going to see youngsters breaking through into the first team? After all that's the whole point of it.

I am aware of McCrorie but even his involvement seems limited.

That was exactly my thought. I can only surmise that it is because he signing for the Rangers who deal in normality not exaggeration and certainly not in “Dembele dollars”.

Having watched some the youth games on YouTube I can see why the Club are picking up a reputation for developing youth players. All that is needed is for some of these players to become first team regulars.

My thoughts too.

Why’s he leaving Sporting Lisbon to come to us?
I think we underestimate the pull of Steven Gerrard.

I also think that Sporting Lisbon are the third team in Portugal and are very rarely successful. If he was leaving Benfica then I could understand questioning it but I don't think Sporting are much bigger or better.

Back