Rangers share plans to build new car park at Ibrox stadium

BlueMeanie

Rangers have now submitted plans to Glasgow City Council for a new car parking facility in the shadow of Ibrox just north of Edmiston House.

0_JS201602938.jpg

General view of Edmiston House Ibrox Stadium where Rangers Football club have applied for planning permission to demolish old conference centre and ticket office for new commercial facilities 18.12.19 Pic Ross Turpie (Image: Reach)

Rangers have revealed plans to build a new car park next to Ibrox Stadium.
The Light Blues want to create 93 spaces on an area of ground on the east side of the stadium.
It comes after residents reacted with anger when the club applied to slash the number of spaces they provide at their Albion car park.

Last year they were given the green-light to build a fan zone and museum on the Edmiston House site and hope to have work finished for the club's 150th anniversary.

As part of the planning permission, they had to provide 900 spaces but have applied to slash the allocation to 450 spaces prompting an angry response from some locals.
Rangers have now submitted plans to Glasgow City Council for a new car parking facility in the shadow of Ibrox just north of Edmiston House.

The club did not previously have control of the ground but following a change in ownership officials believe it could solve part of their parking issue.

"Principally, a proposed residential development at land encompassing the Albion car park, to the south west of Ibrox stadium, requires an amendment to a planning application which requires Rangers FC to provide 900 parking spaces on that site.
"An application to modify this planning obligation has been submitted seeking to redistribute these spaces by introducing parking to existing areas of accessible hardstanding around Ibrox stadium.
"The existing hardstanding car park to the north of the former Edmiston House, which was not previously under the control of Rangers FC but now is, has been identified as an area which can contribute parking spaces towards meeting that obligation.

"This area has historically been used as parking for Rangers staff on non-match days and match day parking."

Council planners are expected to make a decision in due course.
A separate application to build 160 flats on another part of the Albion car park also remains outstanding with city planners.

So is this the bit of land coming into the old Edmiston House off Harrison Drive and also the parking areas the other side of the wall at Carinlea Drive?

Read the story a few times and still none the wiser! We have purchased new land to try to solve a parking problem but we previously used the land for staff on match days.

I'm guessing the 'journalist' is getting mixed up - frightening that people are paid to right this mumbo jumbo

Reads to me like it’s the old Car Park for Edmiston House, not up at the Copland Stand level but at the lower level to the North and East of the (former) building.

God only knows what's happening after reading that article but I do know that one of the problems to extending the stadium capacity has always been the lack of car parking availability.

I had hoped that this would allow for even the extra few thousand previously mentioned but looks like we're still in the dark.

Multi storey should have been built on Albion and top tear used for car park for airport that bears could leave their cars there and get rangers buses to airport. Generate revenue and pay for the building of said car park over time. Just a humble opinion by someone who drives to Ibrox and finds the parking a nightmare! If you don’t have season ticket for Albion car park.

Would they not be better making it a multi-storey car park?
Neighbouring properties would be a factor with the height.

You’d probably need quite a few levels to make it worthwhile with the spaces you lose for ramps up each level.

As already said above, getting out would be some laugh :))

Just keep the Albion car park and problem solved.

Once it's sold and they build flats on it we're never getting it back. It's gone forever.

We should not be selling any of our land around the stadium!
I don't know what the cost or situation is with it but surely if they want to sell it an organisation such as Club 1872 could purchase it and invest the funds into youth.

Is that a far fetched idea?

Once it's sold and they build flats on it we're never getting it back. It's gone forever.

The sale of half the albion was mooted as part of the funding for edmiston house was it not?

Its funding the redevelopment, would you prefer selling a player instead of part of a car park?

Was there not some talk about the club buying some land in scheme behind govan stand behind the factories

Was there not some talk about the club buying some land in scheme behind govan stand behind the factories
Is we could get all the industrial estates behind the Govan we would be set for the future

Euro millions donation I think would be needed though

Its funding the redevelopment, would you prefer selling a player instead of part of a car park?
The redevelopment of what?

We're selling an asset that we've had for decades. If we can't afford the redevelopment then maybe we should be doing it over a longer period.

I take it from this news that the plans about a memorial garden are definitely ruled out?

Apologies as I have obviously missed the notification to shelve it.

Think it was shortsighted not at least costing long term parking passes for the Albion.

5 and 10 year passes with allocated spaces fronts the money up for the club and retains the land for the future.

My sums might be well out but you’d have to think there was some middle ground to meet.

They really need to buy the waste land next to the Ibrox complex.

Turn part of it into a Car park for the Disabled.

Is we could get all the industrial estates behind the Govan we would be set for the future

Euro millions donation I think would be needed though
Next blocks down are vacant fair area unused at this time . Has been homes but well forgotten .

I take it from this news that the plans about a memorial garden are definitely ruled out?

Last I heard, we were heading to court over £1m that we owed the company who were building it.

The redevelopment of what?

We're selling an asset that we've had for decades. If we can't afford the redevelopment then maybe we should be doing it over a longer period.
Ok so leave Edmiston house as a building site so we can keep a bit of car park that we make no money from rather than sell the non profitable land and use it to create a 2000k capacity multi purpose arena, fan zone and Copland Way?

You seem very attached to a run down car park.

I think the memorial garden idea has been binned mate . Someone in work told me the plans included a John Grieg statue leaning over and giving visitors a high 5 which Grieg himself was utterly appalled by rightly so and the whole idea was pulled . Haven’t heard much since mind you I just assumed it had been patched .

Ok so leave Edmiston house as a building site so we can keep a bit of car park that we make no money from rather than sell the non profitable land and use it to create a 2000k capacity multi purpose arena, fan zone and Copland Way?

I use the car park for every home game and it obviously makes money.

However that's not the point. It may be a car park today but who knows what it could be used for in 50 years time. Only the directors and fans in the future will be denied the opportunity to use it due to the short sightedness of the current board in selling one of our assets.

You obviously disagree, which is fine but I firmly believe we should not be selling any land in the vicinity of the stadium. We missed the opportunity with Hinshelwood and shouldn't be compounding the mistake by selling off what local land we do have.

I use the car park for every home game and it obviously makes money.

However that's not the point. It may be a car park today but who knows what it could be used for in 50 years time. Only the directors and fans in the future will be denied the opportunity to use it due to the short sightedness of the current board in selling one of our assets.

You obviously disagree, which is fine but I firmly believe we should not be selling any land in the vicinity of the stadium. We missed the opportunity with Hinshelwood and shouldn't be compounding the mistake by selling off what local land we do have.
Fair enough, but I believe the costs of the carpark operation, admin and upkeep negate the income from people using it.

Maybe thats where he goes dogging :D

Basically parking is going to be distributed all over the shot once the Albion gets swallowed up by new flats.

We should build a multistory somewhere.

I reckon public transport use is going to take a tumble for years to come now. If people have access to a car they will take it over using public transport after covid.

Can already see the traffic getting bad again and we’re not even fully out of the restrictions.

Back