Rangers signing Glen Kamara for £50k is 'biggest steal of the Century' insists Scott Arfield

BlueMeanie

The Finland star has been a revelation since moving to Ibrox in January from Dundee.

Mark McDougall
  • UPDATED13:22, 7 MAY 2019

Scott Arfield has heaped praise on Glen Kamara and admits Rangers pulled off the "steal of the Century" in landing him for just £50,000.
The midfielder joined the Ibrox side in January from Dundee after he had previously signed a pre-contract with the club.
The Finland star has quickly become a fan's favourite since breaking into the Rangers team and Arfield is delighted to see him make a name for himself.
Kamara's introduction has freed the Canada captain to move further forward into a more attacking role that has seen him score four goals in his last five games, leading to the April player of the month award.

But it was the former Arsenal youth player that he wanted to lavish praise on as he admitted competition for places in the middle of the park is pushing everyone forward.
He told Ladbrokes: "Glen for 50k is the biggest steal of the century. He's come in and he's took to life. In terms of coming from Dundee with no expectation on him but in terms of how he plays the expectation arises because he's such a good footballer and he's kept that going.

"You've got Jacko (Ryan Jack) in there, Doc (Greg Docherty) down at Shrewsbury and coming back with a good rep, (Jordan) Rossiter has been the same, (Ross) McCrorie, (Graham) Dorrans coming back so in terms of the whole package it's fantastic to see.

"It's exactly what you want, competition for places but when you're in there you've got to take the opportunity and keep it."
Fellow midfielder Steven Davis has also been impressed by Kamara after admitting he had no idea what to expect when he joined the club.
He added: "I didn't know much about Glen before I seen him up close but he's very comfortable on the ball. He can take the ball in tight situations, he's got good game intelligence as well and in his first game you could see the quality he's got and I think he's only going to get better."

Good signing and looking forward to seeing him after a full pre season.

Midfield has looked better recently with him Davis and Jack but still missing that creative spark in there ,if we find a quality no10 type with a couple others coming back we will be in a very strong position for next season

and kenny miller said he would be a good squad player he has been in the team for a while now i dont think kenny was giving him much of a complement, but on sunday he was passing the ball back too much when it should have gone forward

Bargain.

Im really hoping we sign just 1 absolute baller of a midfielder in the summer. I think strength in depth wise we're ok.

The way he demands the ball and retains possession underlines his Arsenal education.

The fluidity and speed with which our midfield now move the ball (Sunday aside) has been remarkable since we set up with Davies-Jack-Kamara-Arfield. Each of them has played a part in that but, as the 'baby' of the group, much credit goes to Kamara.

Had a poor game against the Sheep at Ibrox after his error gave away the early goal but, other than that, he's ranged from a 7 to a 9 in every game.

Great signing in my eyes.

An absolute steal, intelligent player who is very comfortable on the ball .

If I had to be hyper critical he could be a little bit more positive at times .

But the boy can play the game ,no doubt about that.

He's been very impressive. I don't think we need Jack and him in the 6 and 8 role going forward into next season though, they are both too similar. Both good, tidy players but more comfortable recycling possession. With Davis in there also, we don't need 3 players like that. We need to find an Armstrong/McGregor type player to compliment 2 or the other 3 imo.

That's being a bit harsh as they have all been great recently but we need at least one of our midfielders to be a threat coming late into the box imo.

The way he creates space for himself with his movement at times is unbelievable. I'd love to see him drive forward more when it opens up in front of him. Not a criticism in any way I just think he's got that in his game.

Thought he had his worst game in a blue jersey on Sunday, but mostly because of the high standards that he has set.
I would start him on sunday without a doubt.

I thought Kamara was fine against Hibs, couple of slack passes, Jack was the weak link for Me, Gerrard said he was a doubt with a sore throat, looked of pace last two weeks.

Beat me to it shows that big knob for what he is.
Mate.
Embarrassing how completely wrong he was with that verbal pish he was spouting.
Kamara now looks like one of the midfielders in Scotland.
Can't wait to see him with a Gerrard pre season under his belt Me

I was disappointed with him on Sunday and wasn’t surprised he was Subbed. In the game he very rarely put a forward pass in, with going to the usual cross or back pass. Whether he wasn’t up to the mark, I don’t know, but not the usual charging forward looking for that pass! As for value, makes a change, getting a good player from a Scottish Club and not being held to ransom, and Yes play him against the Scum. The

Question is does he play on Sunday?
Think it was his first game against Dundee at Ibrox where he was a standout and really impressed me, but noticed he gave the ball away a couple of times in dangerous situations in front our defence. Didn't matter in that game but on Sunday there may be times he just needs to play safe.

Great signing though.

Glad he is doing well and expect more to come from him. No way should he be dropped for the weekend, ball retention in the middle of the park will be key against them. His composure on the ball when surrounded by 3 opponents should be a lesson to all young aspiring midfielders.

I thought Kamara was fine against Hibs, couple of slack passes, Jack was the weak link for Me, Gerrard said he was a doubt with a sore throat, looked of pace last two weeks.

It's all about opinions, but i must disagree as i think he's played really well, not as an individual, but as a good team player

Think it was his first game against Dundee at Ibrox where he was a standout and really impressed me, but noticed he gave the ball away a couple of times in dangerous situations in front our defence. Didn't matter in that game but on Sunday there may be times he just needs to play safe.

Great signing though.
Glad he is doing well and expect more to come from him. No way should he be dropped for the weekend, ball retention in the middle of the park will be key against them. His composure on the ball when surrounded by 3 opponents should be a lesson to all young aspiring midfielders.

Anytime he's played against Broon, he showed no fear whatsoever, and held on ro the ball well.
I think he'll relish the challenge against them again.

Kamara has so much composure on the ball.

He's immaculate in possession, one of those guys who almost never loses the ball.

You can see he was in Arsenal's system for years.

It's all about opinions, but i must disagree as i think he's played really well, not as an individual, but as a good team player

Big fan of Ryan Jack but he is shadow of the Player he was before the New Year summer coming at the right time for him he needs to recharge.

Big fan of Ryan Jack but he is shadow of the Player he was before the New Year summer coming at the right time for him he needs to recharge.
I've said it before. Ryan jack is a good and competent midfielder.

However - if we want to step up a level and genuinely get in command position for 55, we need better in our midfield. It's the midfield which has been the weakest area of our team over the past couple of seasons and the area which has let us down. Jack has been part of that.

I like him. Nice guy and all that - but we have to be looking at an upgrade on Ryan Jack if we want to have a serious title challenge and and start wining trophies again.

I will be disappointed if he is a regular starter again next season.

Kamara on the other hand - at this stage, easily one of the first names on the team sheet. Exactly the kind of player we were needing.

If you mean moving forward quickly I agree to a certain extent, Ryan Jack has been superb this season, taking into account his injury and will only get better with a strong midfield around him.

He's one of us.

Delighted to be proved wrong.

Don;t think there was any poster on here that predicted the impact he has had on the team.

I've said it before. Ryan jack is a good and competent midfielder.

However - if we want to step up a level and genuinely get in command position for 55, we need better in our midfield. It's the midfield which has been the weakest area of our team over the past couple of seasons and the area which has let us down. Jack has been part of that.

I like him. Nice guy and all that - but we have to be looking at an upgrade on Ryan Jack if we want to have a serious title challenge and and start wining trophies again.

I will be disappointed if he is a regular starter again next season.

Kamara on the other hand - at this stage, easily one of the first names on the team sheet. Exactly the kind of player we were needing.

I think he is very good, his performance at Pittodrie up to when he was sent off for following through on Stevie May (which was a joke) he was phenomenal, he was excellent first part of the season, he retains and recycles the ball well, but his best in the position now given to Davis, he is not an attack minded Midfielder. Davis, Kamara and an new Attacking Mid for next season and Jack excellent cover. After all with 4 competitions we need 6 quality Mids.

He's been very impressive. I don't think we need Jack and him in the 6 and 8 role going forward into next season though, they are both too similar. Both good, tidy players but more comfortable recycling possession. With Davis in there also, we don't need 3 players like that. We need to find an Armstrong/McGregor type player to compliment 2 or the other 3 imo.

That's being a bit harsh as they have all been great recently but we need at least one of our midfielders to be a threat coming late into the box imo.

I’d rather we got an Ian Durant type

and kenny miller said he would be a good squad player he has been in the team for a while now i dont think kenny was giving him much of a complement, but on sunday he was passing the ball back too much when it should have gone forward
Neil McCann said once he’s in the team he will be hard to displace.

And he was absolutely right

Back