Rangers TV Cast option

Themaruso

Trying to get the videos to play through my TV but it's not finding either the smart TV or Sky Q.. Tested by watching a youtube video and that casted no bother

Any suggestions?

I'm the same so I'm just going to run a HDMI cable from laptop to TV cant figure out a way for phone. Out of curiosity what time does the pre match show start

Trying to get the videos to play through my TV but it's not finding either the smart TV or Sky Q.. Tested by watching a youtube video and that casted no bother

Any suggestions?

Device? From RangersTV FAQ:

Yes, you will be able to cast to a smart TV via:

• Desktop browsers: Chromecast (Chrome) and AirPlay (Safari)
  • Mobile browsers: Chromecast (Chrome) and AirPlay (Safari)

I'm the same so I'm just going to run a HDMI cable from laptop to TV cant figure out a way for phone. Out of curiosity what time does the pre match show start

Advertised as 45 minutes before. Not clear if that is when the placeholders will appear or the moving pictures. 'Normal' RangersTV is about 30 minutes before kick-off for moving pictures at a home match. Today is new territory for us all though.

if youre using a firestick, download an app called Airplay and itll then allow you to cast from chrome (not sure about RTV app, havent tried it) - My experience with it is that it doesnt work too well, quality ends up pretty poor

Any suggestions?
If you have a smart tv

open your browser on the tv and log in or am I missing something?

Got to feel for older season ticket holders because there will be quite a few that will struggle and in all probability will end up missing out. Only way my dad will be able to watch is because I'll set it up for him or he wouldn't have a clue tbh. But there will be some who maybe don't have people close at hand to sort it out.

Got it on the smart tv when you press play it just shows you Rangers v Aberdeen is that a test screen?

Got it on the smart tv when you press play it just shows you Rangers v Aberdeen is that a test screen?

Yup, if you see the Rangers/Aberdeen crests its playing the stream but has reached the end and doesn't restart. You can try dragging the slider at the bottom backwards to the half way point, waiting a few seconds and it might start playing the match. Its flaky though and might take a few attempts. Main this is seeing the crests.

SmartTV not the best device to view on tbh.

Just tried casting from RTV app on my iPad to Sony smart TV and it worked with no problem, but the movement of the ball was a little bit jerky, and that's with a 350 mb/s broadband wifi connection. So I'll use laptop to HDMI which is usually smooth.

Got to feel for older season ticket holders because there will be quite a few that will struggle and in all probability will end up missing out. Only way my dad will be able to watch is because I'll set it up for him or he wouldn't have a clue tbh. But there will be some who maybe don't have people close at hand to sort it out.
Deleted

Just tried casting from RTV app on my iPad to Sony smart TV and it worked with no problem, but the movement of the ball was a little bit jerky, and that's with a 350 mb/s broadband wifi connection. So I'll use laptop to HDMI which is usually smooth.

Precisely why I gave up on casting. Wires are better, its as simple as that.

Today's tuppenceworth from me!

As ValleyBluenose will perhaps recall, I was having a hellish time before trying to get the live.rangers link to work on Opera on a Sony Bravia Smart TV.

Today I downloaded the RTV app. Went to the live game, started the video, hit the chrome cast button and it worked smooth as silk. This was from an iPhone 11 max pro.

I "think" I previously, some months ago, had downloaded an app onto my tv to enable me to chrome cast from apple devices. I can try to dig back into the apps on the tv and find out what it's called if anyone would find that helpful. However I didn't see another app on my tv start up when I started casting just now. It just seemed to click straight on, so I'm thinking it's perhaps running natively.

Fingers crossed it continues to work. Just got the placeholder wit the two crests for now.

(as an aside, I was using a MacBook pro with an HDMI cable at the start of the last game, but I binned it, it was really stuttery / buffering a lot. Which was weird given that type of connection. The same cable / input works fine for an xbox running 4k stuff, so I've no idea why there was a problem. However the RTV App - fingers crossed - seems to be the answer for me. Hope that helps someone else).

Last edited:
Using silk with my dad's firestick and when I press on to live game it's not loading. Worked fine on my firestick with sanr browser.

Please don’t get annoyed with my post, I have registered with RTV my package status shows season ticket access until July 2021 but when I click on the game it asks me to pay. Will this just apear 45 mins before kick off.

Again apologies if this has been covered a million times before I just don’t want to get caught out as I have another code that I can redeem for my sons account.

Using silk with my dad's firestick and when ai press on to live game it's not loading. Worked fine on my firestick with sanr browser.

Few reports today of issues with Silk on Firestick. Maybe try an alternative browser. Edge, Chrome or Firefox if available to download.

Please don’t get annoyed with my post, I have registered with RTV my package status shows season ticket access until July 2021 but when I click on the game it asks me to pay. Will this just apear 45 mins before kick off.

Again apologies if this has been covered a million times before I just don’t want to get caught out as I have another code that I can redeem for my sons account.

If you are viewing as a virtual season ticket holder then you do NOT view it via the RangersTV website but via:

Some have struggled to get their heads around the 'two websites' concept. See the OP in this thread. Start about half way down where it talks of accessing the test stream and follow the pictorial guide.

Android mate

If you have a google chromecast, use that to cast from your phone. If you don't have one of those I highly recommend you buy one for future games. It's what i've been using for the live games and the quality and streaming has been seemless.

Back to today's game, the other method you could try is if you have a firestick there's 2 options:

1) Download firefox browser on firestick and watch the game through that. Again good quality.

2) Download Airplay casting app to firestick and cast straight from phone through that. I've not tried that so don't know how reliable it is or how good the quality is.

If you don't have firestick OR chromecast then I'm all out of ideas except that it's time to go fuckin shopping! :p

If you have a google chromecast, use that to cast from your phone. If you don't have one of those I highly recommend you buy one for future games. It's what i've been using for the live games and the quality and streaming has been seemless.

Back to today's game, the other method you could try is if you have a firestick there's 2 options:

1) Download firefox browser on firestick and watch the game through that. Again good quality.

2) Download Airplay casting app to firestick and cast straight from phone through that. I've not tried that so don't know how reliable it is or how good the quality is.

If you don't have firestick OR chromecast then I'm all out of ideas except that it's time to go fuckin shopping! :p

Use to have a chromecast but she got shot of it cos I never used it!!

You just need to go to https://live.rangers.co.uk

I have a newish Panasonic TV and press the Home button on the remote which brings up some options, one of them being 'screen mirroring'.

Select that then either on my Andrion phone or tablet, pull down the options menu from the top of the screen (where WiFi and blue tooth icons are) and select 'Smart view'

It then asks to link to the TV which is waiting for the connection then after a few sections, I can see my phone or tablet screen on the tele.

Hope this helps somebody because it can be a bit frustrating.

Incidentally, when using the Premier sports app that had a cast screen option, it never connected to the TV. I had to use the method above

Today's tuppenceworth from me!

As ValleyBluenose will perhaps recall, I was having a hellish time before trying to get the live.Rangers link to work on Opera on a Sony Bravia Smart TV.

Today I downloaded the RTV app. Went to the live game, started the video, hit the chrome cast button and it worked smooth as silk. This was from an iPhone 11 max pro.

I "think" I previously, some months ago, had downloaded an app onto my tv to enable me to chrome cast from apple devices. I can try to dig back into the apps on the tv and find out what it's called if anyone would find that helpful. However I didn't see another app on my tv start up when I started casting just now. It just seemed to click straight on, so I'm thinking it's perhaps running natively.

Fingers crossed it continues to work. Just got the placeholder wit the two crests for now.

(as an aside, I was using a MacBook pro with an HDMI cable at the start of the last game, but I binned it, it was really stuttery / buffering a lot. Which was weird given that type of connection. The same cable / input works fine for an xbox running 4k stuff, so I've no idea why there was a problem. However the RTV App - fingers crossed - seems to be the answer for me. Hope that helps someone else).
Thanks for this. I’ve struggled to get my dad set up to see it on his TV. gave up and told him he’ll have to watch this on the IPad. Just couldn’t get the IPad to talk to his Chromecast.
I wondered if the app might work but I didn’t want to try it so late and risk him locking his account.
Will try that before the next game cheers.

I have a computer which I have the game on.

Also put on a firestick and opened the amazon internet browser. Logged into RTV and I have the game screen on the tv with ease.

Assuming it’ll play ok on tv, I’ll watch it on that.

I’m assuming RTV have turned off the DRM they normally use that prevents you from using AirPlay to stream the video from iPad to Apple TV. It normally only allows you to AirPlay the Audio but I have the video working from the RTV App via AirPlay to Apple TV 4K no problem just now.

Thanks for this. I’ve struggled to get my dad set up to see it on his TV. gave up and told him he’ll have to watch this on the IPad. Just couldn’t get the IPad to talk to his Chromecast.
I wondered if the app might work but I didn’t want to try it so late and risk him locking his account.
Will try that before the next game cheers.
The app I installed was called AirPlay Mirror mate

but looking at it again that’s for Apple screen mirroring (rectangle with triangle icon).

I’m definitely chromecasting directly from my iPhone to my tv without that extra app just now.

good luck. Hope the old boy gets to see it.

Back