Press Conference Rangers v Kilmarnock - pre match conference - Goldson out for the rest of the season

What day did CG get injured ‘hurt his knee bad’ sounds significant. Sorry missed the detail it says Wednesday in tweet apologies

Last edited:
Ridvan still a ‘maybe’. The seriousness of his injury wasn’t shared initially.

I guess he’ll be back for the Euros like Jack…

This really emphasises to me the failing by the DoF of the past in not only resolving a critical problem at the club but in not having an appropriate grade of development player who can come into the top team .

Eg CD I don’t see King as adequate yet hes 5th in line and at LB we don’t have anything but it looks worse when you scan wider and ask yourself Which positions have we got an upcoming player for just goalkeeper ?

Really not good

So basically Silva, MacAusland, Sterling and Wright as our wide options between now and end of the season with a chance of maybe seeing Sima and Matondo off the bench at some point. It'll be some achievement if we did win the league from this position.
Makes you want to greet when you look at they options.

This really emphasises to me the failing by the DoF of the past in not only resolving a critical problem at the club but in not having an appropriate grade of development player who can come into the top team .

Eg CD I don’t see King as adequate yet hes 5th in line and at LB we don’t have anything but it looks worse when you scan wider and ask yourself Which positions have we got an upcoming player for just goalkeeper ?

Really not good
We had Mayo who is on the verge of a Scotland call up now and has been a stand out in the league for Killie. We do develop quite a few players but they rarely get any game time to see if they are good enough.

So basically Silva, MacAusland, Sterling and Wright as our wide options between now and end of the season with a chance of maybe seeing Sima and Matondo off the bench at some point. It'll be some achievement if we did win the league from this position.
I'd much rather see us go with Lawrence or Cantwell off the left and Dowell off the right than any of those 4 options, with Sterling central if Yilmaz is fit and Diomande being the attacking midfielder. Would make us far stronger physically out wide and centrally.

We had Mayo who is on the verge of a Scotland call up now and has been a stand out in the league for Killie. We do develop quite a few players but they rarely get any game time to see if they are good enough.
Yes he is a player we could rely upon in such circumstances but alas he got there after leaving us yet we kept people not as good the likes of Simpson and King just makes me wonder about someone’s judgement

I'd much rather see us go with Lawrence or Cantwell off the left and Dowell off the right than any of those 4 options, with Sterling central if Yilmaz is fit and Diomande being the attacking midfielder. Would make us far stronger physically out wide and centrally.
PC name checked Dowell as a wide right player a while back I do see the point there but have t seen the evidence

No-one likes someone wise after the fact.
It’s not really after the fact though is it? It was the exact same the last time he got injured and they were all falling over themselves begging for him to come back when they saw our defence without him.

PC name checked Dowell as a wide right player a while back I do see the point there but have t seen the evidence
He has played the vast majority of his career wide right, similarly Cantwell and Lawrence wide left. The main reason it won't happen is how few options we have available for centre midfield imo. The 4 originally quoted will share wide duties and Lawrence and Dowell will continue to be the central backups which aren't their natural position. If Clement can somehow swing a treble or even a cup double out what we actually have available then it should go down as one of the greatest achievements of all time given how tied his hands and limited the players are.

Yes he is a player we could rely upon in such circumstances but alas he got there after leaving us yet we kept people not as good the likes of Simpson and King just makes me wonder about someone’s judgement
Beale is no doubt a talented coach but giving him complete control of transfer business last summer was the board setting him up to fail. We have been needing a strong DoF for years now as since Warburton left none of our managers look to be interested in squad management and are more training ground head coaches.

I think King might end up a decent player but it will probably be at defensive midfield rather than centre back. He will probably need to go out on loan somewhere to get the regular game time though as with how big the squad is at the moment he will have 3 or 4 players always ahead of him unless there is big changes in the summer.

Cortes, Goldson Danilo out for season, Ridvan, Sima , Jack, Matondo might get some minutes B4 end of season then you look at the players who already know they are moving on such as Borna & Lundstram etc.
It will be a minor miracle if we beat them in any of the 2 games.

Interesting press conference.

Already mentioned, but the way he responded to the VAR question (saying that if anyone should feel aggrieved its us but we're 100% behind it) was a beautifully placed "for the papers tomorrow" answer.

Also the "apparently water is is too deep between two sides" reference regards Lundstram. Pretty easy to work out what he means there.

You wonder with Goldson out, if Lewis Mayo had stayed rather than go to Kilmarnock would he have been given a chance.
Obviously injuries are a nightmare, but I wonder if we have any reserves that could step up from the reserves and give us that wee bit of a special moment. Eg Lowry/ Lovelace. Or am I clutching at straws.

Back