Archive Rangers Women Season 22/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helanders Beard

Since the players began to report back for pre-season today, I thought it would be worth starting this season's thread.

Fixtures

Notable ties

First game - Glasgow Women (H) 7th Aug
Glasgow City - 20th Nov (A), 29th Jan (H)
Celtic - 27th Nov (H), 26th Feb (A)
Last game pre split - Hamilton (H) 12th Mar

All fixtures -
UWCL

Drawn to play Ferencvaros with the winners facing PAOK or Swansea, all ties will be in Greece on 18th and 21st August

Friendlies

Hearts (A) - 13th July
Spartans (A) - 17th July
Celtic (A) - 24th July

Departures Confirmed

Brianna Westrup
Kirsten Reilly
Chantelle Swaby
Emma Brownlie (Hearts)
Ciara Grant (Hearts)
Megan Cunningham (Partick Thistle)

Signing's Confirmed

Kathryn Hill - Defender - Durham (Undisclosed Fee)
Dina Orschmann - Forward - Turbine Potsdam
Victoria Essen - Goakeeper - SC Sand
Colette Cavanagh - Midfielder - Hibs

Squad Updates

Sam Kerr - New Contract
Brogan Hay - New Contract
Lizzie Arnot - New Contract
Jenna Fife - New Contract
Rachel McLauchlan - New Contract
Tessel Middag - New Contract
Chelsea Corner - New Contract
Emma Watson - Signed first pro contract

Last edited:
Some 'big' departures there, including the Captain. You'd have to imagine we have some new signings lined up. Is now the time to strip Glasgow City to the bone - or are we looking further afield/down South I wonder?

Last edited:
I’m sure someone, might have been yourself op said that Megan Cunningham was retiring from football after last season due to a long term issue she had.

RANGERS WOMEN: SQUAD UPDATE

Departures of Swaby, Reilly and Westrup. Bit surprised at these three, then again, who knows what they had been offered elsewhere.

Big thanks for delivering the first league title.

Some 'big' departures there, including the Captain. You'd have to imagine we have some new signings lined up. Is now the time to strip Glasgow City to the bone - or are we looking further afield/down South I wonder?

There's a couple at City who are worth a look for sure.

I'd imagine we'll target a couple of signings from down south.

Even from the likes of the Championship / 2nd Tier, there's talent that would improve us.

While the Super League has the team names from the established men's game who're ploughing a lot of money in to their woman's teams, there's the likes of Durham who are performing well as a club in the 2nd tier and they're competing against the likes of Liverpool and Leicester in that league.

There's a couple at City who are worth a look for sure.

I'd imagine we'll target a couple of signings from down south.

Even from the likes of the Championship / 2nd Tier, there's talent that would improve us.

While the Super League has the team names from the established men's game who're ploughing a lot of money in to their woman's teams, there's the likes of Durham who are performing well as a club in the 2nd tier and they're competing against the likes of Liverpool and Leicester in that league.
Chinchilla and Clark are the only two from City I’d really be interested in, I don’t think the others would strengthen us. City are already considerably weaker as well with the departures they’ve had.

I’ll miss big Chantelle Swaby
Her Rangers career started poorly and she struggled to cope, getting caught out repeatedly. However, last season she came on in leaps and bounds and, I thought, was one of our best and most consistent players. I was surprised to see her move on and assume it was her choice rather than being bombed out.

Kirsty McLean, Emma Watson and Jodi Macleary confirmed as stepping up to full-time first team football next season, from the Academy.

Three really incredible talents. Probably explains Kirsten Reilly's departure.

Kirsty McLean, Emma Watson and Jodi Macleary confirmed as stepping up to full-time first team football next season, from the Academy.

I think we need a bit of perspective here - they’ve shown promise playing for a dominant team against amateurs in a pretty poor league. They’re not quite in the ‘incredible talent’ bracket just yet.

I think we need a bit of perspective here - they’ve shown promise playing for a dominant team against amateurs in a pretty poor league. They’re not quite in the ‘incredible talent’ bracket just yet.

Nonsense. Extremely gifted footballers - 2 of them in particular - who have been consistent stand outs 'playing up' several age groups for a number of years, including internationals.

Anybody who can spot an incredible talent will understand why the big teams in England are coveting them.

Hearts will be a decent side next season, Grant was a cracking wee player.
I think they will shortly overtake City too and be the 3rd force.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Reilly move there as she still lives in Edinburgh.

Watson looks the best of the three but thought they all look good and good to see them feature more in the first team.

Watson looks the best of the three but thought they all look good and good to see them feature more in the first team.

I think Kirsty has everything in the locker too. A proper football brain with the ability to back it up. Could just do with getting a bit taller.

Nonsense. Extremely gifted footballers - 2 of them in particular - who have been consistent stand outs 'playing up' several age groups for a number of years, including internationals.

Anybody who can spot an incredible talent will understand why the big teams in England are coveting them.
Incredible : impossible to believe.

All 3 of them incredible ? You may be right. Will see.

Since the players began to report back for pre-season today, I thought it would be worth starting this season's thread.

Fixtures

Out at 10am on Thursday 30th June, SWPL season kicks off on Sunday 7th August

UWCL

Drawn to play Ferencvaros with the winners facing PAOK or Swansea, all ties will be in Greece on 18th and 21st August

Friendlies

No confirmed dates yet

Departures Confirmed

Brianna Westrup
Kirsten Reilly
Chantelle Swaby
Emma Brownlie (Hearts)
Ciara Grant (Hearts)

Signing's Confirmed

None so far

Squad Updates

Sam Kerr - New Contract
Brogan Hay - New Contract
Lizzie Arnot - New Contract
Jenna Fife - New Contract
Rachel McLauchlan - New Contract
Emma Watson - Signed first pro contract
We are playing Spartans in a friendly on the 17th of July away at their place. Confirmed by Spartans on twitter

It's been said that Kirsten Reilly was offered something big elsewhere. My guess is England or maybe home to her club in Hibs who have now gone semi-pro as far as I'm aware

I’ll miss big Chantelle Swaby
She's a big honey

OhriHEH.png

Chinchilla and Clark are the only two from City I’d really be interested in, I don’t think the others would strengthen us. City are already considerably weaker as well with the departures they’ve had.
I may have said earlier on the thread that Jenna Clark would be great alongside Swaby. Shame Swaby's gone though. But Clark would be an excellent signing.

so we are looking at a squad currently of:

GK - Fife / Cunningham (tho question over her future above) / Nicholson

DEF - Docherty / Arnth / McLauchlan (recovering from injury) / Vance (at Euros so might miss start of season)

MID - Kerr / Middag / Cornet (recovering from injury) / McLean / Watson / Ness (injured)

FWD - Bell (injured) / Ross / Arnott / Howatt / Hay / McCoy / McCleary

just under 6 weeks to the new season starts & less than 2 weeks later the CL starts
ridiculous current state of play for us

The
so we are looking at a squad currently of:

GK - Fife / Cunningham (tho question over her future above) / Nicholson

DEF - Docherty / Arnth / McLauchlan (recovering from injury) / Vance (at Euros so might miss start of season)

MID - Kerr / Middag / Cornet (recovering from injury) / McLean / Watson / Ness (injured)

FWD - Bell (injured) / Ross / Arnott / Howatt / Hay / McCoy / McCleary

just under 6 weeks to the new season starts & less than 2 weeks later the CL starts
ridiculous current state of play for us
There is people in, they just haven’t been unveiled. At least one defender.

Who are Glasgow Women? Surely not a need for another team from Glasgow?

Wonder if we'll hear about a signing today...

:shh:

Kathy is a superb signing. She was guest on episode 3 of 4lads podcast almost 2-3 years ago and her passion was never in doubt.

We’ve kept in touch since so I had that post ready quite a while. She’s a brilliant lady & ready to be home, I’m biased but a CB ready to fill the void now here

Delighted with this one

We've now spent more on transfer fees for the women's and kids teams this year than the first team:)

I didn't even know transfer fees were a thing in women's football until today.

Lot a time for Megan, she’s a cracking girl, I know she had hip issue’s and I’m sure she was hoping to Pursue a career in the fire service. Wish her all the best.
Agreed, have a lot of time for her as well and is pursuing a career in the fire service as you say.

Though, she was training with the squad at the weekend, maybe just to keep ticking over/help out if they only have one keeper just now.

Lot a time for Megan, she’s a cracking girl, I know she had hip issue’s and I’m sure she was hoping to Pursue a career in the fire service. Wish her all the best.
I have known Megan for years and she has always been a nice young lassie/lady and yes i found out at the weekend that she is indeed hoping for a career in the service but also found out that she might just carry on playing but just not at the level required for Rangers
Agreed, have a lot of time for her as well and is pursuing a career in the fire service as you say.

Though, she was training with the squad at the weekend, maybe just to keep ticking over/help out if they only have one keeper just now.
Yes she will probably help out but I've also heard something else that I wont go into in an open forum.

Any other info about the new signing? I’m not a massive advocate of having fans playing for us although appreciate the talent pool that are within our reach, especially considering the league we play in, is limited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back