Official Rangers Women - Season 23-24

Lovenkrands26

Time for a new thread for the women’s team, contributions were brilliant last season so thanks to all.

New manager - Jo Potter

Malky obviously moved sideways and a couple of backroom staff moved on so would expect Jo to bring a couple in.

Players who have left - Maddie Nolf, Sam Kerr, Colette Cavanagh

Players in - Nobody confirmed yet, but I believe we’re due to announce a defender.

New contracts - Jenna Fife

Obviously huge expectations this season with missing out on the SWPL title.

Other points of note - Montrose promoted to SWPL1, Scottish Power new title sponsor of SWPL1.

Will update when friendlies etc are confirmed. Fixtures will be released soon.

Congratulations to Kayla McCoy who has been named in the Jamaica squad for the women’s World Cup.

I have assumed that there will be additions to the squad but would wait until the new coach was appointed. I wonder if the appointment of Jo Potter will mean we will shop in the English market particularly as the standard is much higher and so, you would think, we can strengthen from there.

We also have the appeal of being a club that will challenge for honours and, moving forward, be regularly competing in the women's Champions League so, aside from those at the elite clubs like Chelsea, City, Arsenal and Man Utd, we would be an attractive proposition for players with the other clubs in the English league.

Let’s hope for a more fruitful season. Perhaps a new face will give the players a new lease of life.

Thankfully, our academy players coming from a more professional set up at grass roots level look like they can contribute.

@Lovenkrands26 you ever hear if there was a fee involved for Sam Kerr?

We lacked energy this season, in the big games anyway. Hopefully that's something that is sorted out
Sign a striker, losing Ross and Mccoy was what cost us last season imo.

For all our possession last year I thought we were really poor at creating chances against the rats and Glasgow City. The points we dropped against Hearts are what killed us in the league ironically.

The cup final performance was woeful.

Hoping a fresh start will revitalise us and a few signings will freshen up the team.

Hers hoping the men and women get back to winning ways this season.

Huge changes needed, players fitness was woeful last season compared to the season before in my opinion, time for new tactics,formations and new faces. Here is to a wonderful season for the ladies.

Sign a goalkeeper who is not afraid to come for a cross and an imposing centre half who won't allow the Tims ,especially, bully us at every corner and free kick put into the box.
Kerr needs replacing with a physical, box to box midfielder.
Not asking for much but imo that's the minimum we'll need to get our title back.

Seemingly the new boss has a reputation for building relationships with players, gaining their trust and getting them to play to their best more regularly.

I reckon the relatability aspect will probably help too.

I also didn't realise that in the women's game that you are only allowed 1 loan per season which makes it tougher. Makes it tough for the girls in the smaller teams who are only getting 1 year deals.

We need to bring in a couple of big defenders who won’t get bullied off the ball like last season. We could also do with adding more attack minded in midfield and new firepower up front. I know Jenna has signed a new contract but I think we could still do better in that department.

I also didn't realise that in the women's game that you are only allowed 1 loan per season which makes it tougher. Makes it tough for the girls in the smaller teams who are only getting 1 year deals.

Team’s generally get round players being on ‘loan’ because they don’t actually have contracts at their clubs their registration just moves across to another team with a ‘mutual agreement’ that they’ll go back at a certain point,

Partick Thistle had multiple ‘loans’ last season.

The problem with signing Chinchilla, or anyone from Glasgow City is the prospects are so similar I'm not sure what the incentive is for her to move aside from money. And you can be sure City would think about that in a transfer fee as well.

Rabbi Matondo's wage probably covers the entire set up for the season.
I was thinking about that actually. The reported number for costs is 1-2 million. I was wondering with the small increase in sponsors and cl money from last season how close the team got to being profitable on its own merits.

Who’s in overall charge ?
Probably Amy McDonald, until we get a DOF.

Not sure if the plan going forward is for her to have total control, and the women’s team become bit more detached from the ‘one club’ ethos.

Sure there was talk about separate boards and finance etc.

Looking forward to the season ahead. A different playing style would be my preferred option as I just don’t think it suited the players we had. However I think it’s fair to say that wasn’t the only reason we had a poor season overall though. Although Malky was responsible for setting up the Team and is ultimately responsible for results he was unlucky with injuries to key players which didn’t help. He handled himself the Rangers way at all times though but the time was right for change.

A message to those who criticise the standard from the mens game v the ladies. Don’t click on this thread and feel the need to tell us all how poor everything about it is and that your boys under 10’s would wipe the floor with our women. Please ignore the thread and leave us who appreciate it for what it is to have a bit of banter and debate.

Looking forward to the season ahead. A different playing style would be my preferred option as I just don’t think it suited the players we had. However I think it’s fair to say that wasn’t the only reason we had a poor season overall though. Although Malky was responsible for setting up the Team and is ultimately responsible for results he was unlucky with injuries to key players which didn’t help. He handled himself the Rangers way at all times though but the time was right for change.

A message to those who criticise the standard from the mens game v the ladies. Don’t click on this thread and feel the need to tell us all how poor everything about it is and that your boys under 10’s would wipe the floor with our women. Please ignore the thread and leave us who appreciate it for what it is to have a bit of banter and debate.
I'll never know what the downer is for some with the Women's football, we've only been pro for a couple of years now, it will get better and will pay for itself eventually, it's a long haul game for everyone

I see Colette Cavanagh signed for the manky mob. I thought she was a good player that wasn’t given a chance last season, hope she doesn’t come back to haunt us.

I see Colette Cavanagh signed for the manky mob. I thought she was a good player that wasn’t given a chance last season, hope she doesn’t come back to haunt us.
She was one of those players who always seemed to have a cracking game against us for Hibs, but as you said wasn't given a chance here for some reason.

Cant really blame her as she has to do what's best for herself as we didn't want her anymore, just shows all the badge stuffs just for the fans and just for show, wish her well but just not with them :)
Fe-RUTPXEAASa1t

Back