Rapid Vienna 0 Rangers 2 European Cup, December 1964

MrStruth

A similar performance and scoreline in October when we meet them again would be just perfect.

An aside to the match above, it seemed even back then we were cursed with injury with Jim Baxter breaking his leg in the final minute.

It was considered to be one of his finest games for the club and the injury ruled him out of the Quarter final tie against Inter Milan which we lost by a goal.

A sting in the tail. Baxter took the p1ss once too often and a hammer thrower broke his leg - virtually ending our chance of winning the competition. Many argue baxter never fully recovered.

We were dreadful in the League that season, even before Baxter got injured.
And that was after winning a treble.

Before my time, does anyone old enough remember what went wrong?

Wonder what the banner said :D
15ojygn.jpg

2h5iumq.jpg

The memory of walking home from school that afternoon and hearing the news about Baxter is still etched in my mind.
I had a radio which I switched on coming out of school just in time for the commentator to be praising the performance of the team and particularly Baxter, then he reported the horrible tackle and injury. It just took all the air out of the result. Like you I've never forgotten that moment, etched is a good description.
A lot changed in that moment.

We were dreadful in the League that season, even before Baxter got injured.
And that was after winning a treble.

Before my time, does anyone old enough remember what went wrong?

We had actually won SIX domestic Trophies on the trot at that time, 2 League Cups, 2 Scottish Cups, 2 League Titles.
With regards to what happened in the League that 64-65 season, most people will tell you it was down to the loss of Jim Baxter, but that is simply not true, it is a myth.

Over the course of the season, we did only lose 1 League match in Baxter's absence (12 Games).
With Baxter in the side, we lost 7 League Games (in 22 appearances), and lost the only Scottish Cup tie he played in
(this being our only Domestic Cup defeat in two and half years/36 Cup Ties).

Despite finishing a lowly 5th place in the League, Jim Forrest scored 30 Goals in 30 League Games,
and a season total of 57 Goal in 50 Games!

The Rapid chairman said that Baxter proved he was the best player in Europe in his position tonight.Could have wept when I heard he had broken his leg ,he was never the same player again .Tragic

This season's games are a bit of a dilemma for the scum as they don't like Rapid Vienna too much either lol.

We had actually won SIX domestic Trophies on the trot at that time, 2 League Cups, 2 Scottish Cups, 2 League Titles.
With regards to what happened in the League that 64-65 season, most people will tell you it was down to the loss of Jim Baxter, but that is simply not true, it is a myth.

Over the course of the season, we did only lose 1 League match in Baxter's absence (12 Games).
With Baxter in the side, we lost 7 League Games (in 22 appearances), and lost the only Scottish Cup tie he played in
(this being our only Domestic Cup defeat in two and half years/36 Cup Ties).

Despite finishing a lowly 5th place in the League, Jim Forrest scored 30 Goals in 30 League Games,
and a season total of 57 Goal in 50 Games!

It was a really weird season, coming off the back of a treble just a few months earlier. We were scoring for fun in the League Cup and played well in the European Cup, yet it took till the 5th match of the season to get a win in the league (2 draws and 2 defeats in the first 4), then we went on a good run in the autumn, only to fall away in the spring. Three defeats to Hibs in the league and Scottish Cup were sore to take and it was a poor season all-in.

It's the only season in Scottish football where both the Big Two were out of the top 3 (we were 5th and the scum 8th).

It was a really weird season, coming off the back of a treble just a few months earlier. We were scoring for fun in the League Cup and played well in the European Cup, yet it took till the 5th match of the season to get a win in the league (2 draws and 2 defeats in the first 4), then we went on a good run in the autumn, only to fall away in the spring. Three defeats to Hibs in the league and Scottish Cup were sore to take and it was a poor season all-in.

It's the only season in Scottish football where both the Big Two were out of the top 3 (we were 5th and the scum 8th).
It's actually beyond belief

Reactions: ao2
Back