Rare occasions when Rangers players score with a header.

I think you might be right about wee Tam.
Against Fortuna Dusseldorf at Ibrox ?
Not 100% sure myself.
Yes wee Tam unmarked header at the back post v Fortunate, maybe 6 yards out. If memory serves it was a Bobby Russell cross which somehow missed DJ and wee Tam sneaked in. I was in the Centenary Stand that night. It was a ECWC match in September 1979, Gers won 2-1. Crowd only 36k as the Copland Road end was being rebuilt.

A know he scored loads of headers but mccoists last goal against the poets in the SC semi at the peado dome is one of my favourite rangers goals

Brian Laudrup did it once, but it was quite a forgettable goal to be fair to the OP.
I wasn't at Tannadice so only have memories from the telly. (it was the day before my final uni exam so the sensible voice in my head won) That goal is great but jock brown actually adds to the moment by going "and it's Hate......Laudrup with the header"

Didn't Waghorn score our 50th goal one season with the first headed goal. Think Warburton was following Cloughies philosophy of playing football on the floor.

From an era when the cross into the box was a regular source of chances for strikers, I can’t remember many Mo Johnston headed goals for Rangers.... except for the first one against Aberdeen from a Trevor Steven cross.

Most of the goals I can remember him scoring for Rangers were from passing moves with Ally McCoist in particular, or a through ball that he ran on to and took the goalie on with.

Slightly changing the subject but another thing that you rarely saw was Alan McLaren diving into a tackle. The big man was the master at marshalling a forward out of the danger zone and off to the sidelines.

I have a very vague recollection of Tommy McLean scoring with a header, can anyone confirm ? Alex Macdonald had one or two (again IIRC). Unusual for the wee men, esp in a team built around big CF's like DJ and Parlane.
Wee Tam scoring from a header is as likely as me pumping Rachel Riley.

Doddie scoring from a header? An altogether different thing. How many times did we see him either drifting in at the back post or attacking a ball with his napper in the middle of the box? Then again, I am an unashamed Doddie fanboy.

Wee Tam scoring from a header is as likely as me pumping Rachel Riley.

Doddie scoring from a header? An altogether different thing. How many times did we see him either drifting in at the back post or attacking a ball with his napper in the middle of the box? Then again, I am an unashamed Doddie fanboy.
McLean scored headers v Aberdeen in 1974 and Fortuna Duseldorf in 1979

I think I remember Davie Cooper heading the ball about twice in his career.

Once was heading wide of a completely open goal from about 10 yards and the other was a looping header at the scumhut which crept in at the far post.

Jorg Albertz
Jim Bett.
Cooper also scored headed goals v Morton, Motherwell and Kilmarnock

Have a look at the goals scored in the treble winning seasons 75/76 and 77/78.
We seemed to score more headers than shots at goal.

McCoist v Leeds
McCoist v Celtic then running up the touchline
McCoist v Celtic last 1 diving header sat there in tears in front of the massive away support.

Alex Cleland vs the filth at the piggery. Set up by speedy Oleg Salenko I think.

Have half the people on this thread been on the sauce already?

arveladze diving header , done about 3 rolly pollys , 02/03 season cant remember who against

I think I remember Davie Cooper heading the ball about twice in his career.

Once was heading wide of a completely open goal from about 10 yards and the other was a looping header at the scumhut which crept in at the far post.

Jorg Albertz
Jim Bett.
Cooper scored with a header at Parkheid in the early 80s!

Back