Ray Wilkins last game for Rangers

One of the worlds most under rated players of his time. On his day he could turn opponents into the ground. A hard bastard as well, which sometimes got the better of his skill and could change his game, but when he was on it, my god, what a joy to watch.
Came across as a throughly likeable person as well, as long as you agreed with him
Not many could fill his boots nowadays.

vs Dunfermline in 1989.

Can remember standing the East Enclosure frozen to my bones that day unable to get a view of Wilkins pre match due to all the photographers.

That PASS to Mo Johnston for the first goal as well!

Remember it well. First season ticket in 1988 so also first time I was really aware of players leaving. There was a lot of sadness on seeing him go and can remember loads of the adults around me wondering when the game would be abandoned.

Was there that day. Yes, very foggy towards the end of the game. Emotional send off.

What a gentleman he was.

He was back up on the night of the EC Leeds game at Ibrox and I had a chat with him on Edmiston Drive. He correctly predicted that we would do them over the two legs.

Proud to have had him at our club and associated with it after he left.

Taken far too early.

He left us after two years but we never left him.
We found out who our friends were in our moment of need and he was a good friend.
Legend.

Archie mentioning Butchers stubble just after he scored. Good old presbyterian standards.

Copland front (red section).
As others have said, phucking freezing but a good send off for Butch.

A few years after he left us I saw him playing in a pre-season friendly for QPR at Hibs.

Pre-game he was walking up the sideline and some Hibs fans were giving him stick for being baldy, he stopped in front of them, ran his fingers through his thinning hair then flicked the v's at them.

My other memories of the game are Danny Dichio being the worst professional footballer I'd seen, and the QPR fans singing "I'd rather be a paki than a jock".

I wonder if he ever regretted leaving; it wasn't as if the club were wanting him to leave.

I was at the game, the fog was getting ridiculous. It’s been a while now so I can’t remember if it’s this game or another one that the fog was bad but it had cleared as soon as we got up towards Newton Mearns on the A77. And the driver of the car had been wanting to leave early in case we couldn’t make the boat. Once I started driving myself I kinda knew how he’d have felt, but that day I thought he was nuts.

Ray was a class act, on and off the pitch, and I feel privileged to have seen his last Rangers game. Here for too short a time, but never forgotten.

Wilkins remains the best long range passer I’ve seen at Ibrox. He was to long range passes what wee see Borna as for pinpoint crosses imo.

Ironically, he was nicknamed “the crab” prior to joining us, because it was asserted he only ever passed sideways. He certainly knocked that rumour out the park.

Sadly missed.

For a younger bear why did Wilkins leave at that time.
He wanted to go home after being in Manchester, Italy, France and Scotland.

Also Souness wanted Trevor Steven more central.

Spackman coming in was a different type of player too.

What a player. Thought the game was going to get called off with the fog.
My memory of Butch was a testimonial that he returned to play in and he was near the half way line and the ball was punted towards him. He took a step towards the ball with his back towards the opposition goal and back heeled rhe ball in the volley and it went about 25 yards and was a perfect pass for McCoist to run on to. A sublime piece of skill.
Sorely missed.

The first game my dad took me to, I was 8 at the time. Was up the back of the main stand singing along to “Super Ally” when my Dad pointed out it was “Super Ray” for his last game.

I have fond memories of Ray I was only 13/14 at the time but what a player and what a gentleman.

The quintessential footballer.

Was in the main stand. I was 11 and didn’t really appreciate what was going on. Wasn’t until many years later I understood. RW is a proper football legend.

Can remember who foggy it was and also being in tears when Ray went off.

Sadly missed

vs Dunfermline in 1989.

Can remember standing the East Enclosure frozen to my bones that day unable to get a view of Wilkins pre match due to all the photographers.

That PASS to Mo Johnston for the first goal as well!

People talk about “Rolls Royce of a player” well, he was that, the original, Genuinely.

I’d played for my school team away at Knightswood Secondary in the morning, got home and was heading out to play for my afternoon team when I got a phonecall to say that my game was off because of the fog.

Quick change of clothes and off to Ibrox - picked up a West Enclosure ticket outside the subway. Genuinely sad that Wilkins was leaving as he’d been superb. We could have won by more that day but the fog was getting really bad towards the end and it was freezing.

I remember heading to the game against Hearts and it came on the radio that we'd signed him. His first touch of the game was poor and the guy behind me shouted "You've done f@ck all since you came here!"

Back