Realistic targets you'd like to see come in summer

cav

Following on from the thread of who we'd like to keep,which many lists are understandably short-thought i'd start a thread to try and scrape some sort of optimism for next season,maybe even if we get Stevie G in which should,you would hope at least-attract some better players.
I expect pelters after yesterday and trying to start a positive thread tbh,so get it off your chest bears if you like as well.
I'll kick us off with these:

Skrtel
Solanke(loan)
Onouha
Yiadom
Naismith(Jason)
Kanon
Prevljak
Lasogga
Holtby
Davis

I put a team in a couple of threads I thought was fairly achievable. There's options as well for players ie if no Sktrtel Gareth Macauley. It's fairly unimaginative but just shows it could be done for a decent budget. If more funds available then the choice of player can improve further.

Mcgregor

Tav
Sktrtel
Kipre
John

Mulumbu
Davis
Kamara
Mcarthur
Arfield

Ings (loan)

Add McBurnie as well for another option.

I put a team in a couple of threads I thought was fairly achievable. There's options as well for players ie if no Sktrtel Gareth Macauley. It's fairly unimaginative but just shows it could be done for a decent budget. If more funds available then the choice of player can improve further.

Mcgregor

Tav
Sktrtel
Kipre
John

Mulumbu
Davis
Kamara
Mcarthur
Arfield

Ings (loan)

That would be some Midfield, only 1 winner here in old firm games!

Mcgregor

Tav
Sktrtel
Kipre
John

Mulumbu
Davis
Kamara
Mcarthur
Arfield

Ings (loan)

I have my doubts about a few of those tbh mate,more so Kipre for his clumsiness and Mulumbu for fitness and stepping up to do it for a bigger club on a regular basis.Add Kamara to that as well.
McArthur isn't going to happen unfortunately.

Delighted with Shagger and Arfield though so far,and McBurnie,Davis or Ings on loan would be fantastic if at all possible.Good thing is there will be funds available at least.

Jensen from Rosenborg
yacob on a free from west brom- nasty centre mid

scout eastern europe for technical midfielders
Jensen sounds excellent,albeit I have only seen the usual youtube clip tbh.
I like Yacob,but he would be sent off every other week up here :D

I have my doubts about a few of those tbh mate,more so Kipre for his clumsiness and Mulumbu for fitness and stepping up to do it for a bigger club on a regular basis.Add Kamara to that as well.
McArthur isn't going to happen unfortunately.

Delighted with Shagger and Arfield though so far,and McBurnie,Davis or Ings on loan would be fantastic if at all possible.Good thing is there will be funds available at least.

There are other options, if we get funds perhaps McNair or Bartley instead of Kipre. Mcarthur like you say looks a bit too much but Dorrans could perhaps fit in there and look better than he is currently.

Mulumbu and Kamara, again are gambles, but they have shown against them (and us) that that aren't overawed playing against the big teams, like ours seem to be.

Reactions: cav
Jensen sounds excellent,albeit I have only seen the usual youtube clip tbh.
I like Yacob,but he would be sent off every other week up here :D
he played them over 2 legs and he was different class just a pitty his teammates didnt help much, he is 30 now and a Danish international, ha ha i know but Yacob would provide some steel

I would hope we replace our RB, yesterday was the final straw. I want every one of Warburtons signings moved on.

Would be delighted with Skrtel in defence and Lasogga upfront. Absolutely fed up with seeing us getting bullied.

Mcgregor

Tav
Sktrtel
Kipre
John

Mulumbu
Davis
Kamara
Mcarthur
Arfield

Ings (loan)

Decent stab bud. Was posted on another thread though that McArthur's on 48k a week and is about to sign a 60k a week deal to stay at palace.

Think he fancies another season or 2 before looking north

Huth
Anya
Rhodes
Cathcart
Rolando
Fraser
Kone
Fraser looks tremendous but we've no chance as a result sadly.Cathcart has had a torrid time with injury,if he's truly over that I'd like him with us absolutely.Don't know Rolando at all?
I'm afraid Huth,Kone and Anya's best days are over.

Of that list Rhodes is a cracking shout imo,knows where the net is if you give him the chances which we tend to do.I'd love to see him at Ibrox.

We'd probably have to push the boat out financially but Tom Cairney & Ryan Fredericks are both out of contract at Fulham in the summer.

If we're to mount any sort of challenge next season then this is the level of player we should be looking at imo.

We'd probably have to push the boat out financially but Tom Cairney & Ryan Fredericks are both out of contract at Fulham in the summer.

If we're to mount any sort of challenge next season then this is the level of player we should be looking at imo.
Can't see us affording them tbh mate,as much as I'd love to see it.Very good players that'll probably be playing in the EPL one way or another next season.

Decent stab bud. Was posted on another thread though that McArthur's on 48k a week and is about to sign a 60k a week deal to stay at palace.

Think he fancies another season or 2 before looking north

Yeah, him & Davis might be more difficult purely because of the wages. Still, take Mcarthur out, play Arfield in his place and play Murphy wide left is an option.

Like i said, I was just trying to do some players who we all know and might have a decent stab at, all within a reasonable net spend. Heck, punt Morelos and Windass and it might even break even.

Following on from the thread of who we'd like to keep,which many lists are understandably short-thought i'd start a thread to try and scrape some sort of optimism for next season,maybe even if we get Stevie G in which should,you would hope at least-attract some better players.
I expect pelters after yesterday and trying to start a positive thread tbh,so get it off your chest bears if you like as well.
I'll kick us off with these:

Skrtel
Solanke(loan)
Onouha
Yiadom
Naismith(Jason)
Kanon
Prevljak
Lasogga
Holtby
Davis

Sorry OP, I'm in disagreement with a fair few of those. We currently have a squad filled with dross from Norwich, Wigan and Bradford (other clubs alike). Filling it with more dross from Barnsley and QPR isn't going to help the situation at all.

I've also watched Leeds a fair amount this season and can honestly say Lasogga is useless. He's not bad at finishing on a good day, but generally he's slow, lazy and useless at any link up play.

Think Skrtel and Solanke would be good shouts if we could get them!

Sorry OP, I'm in disagreement with a fair few of those. We currently have a squad filled with dross from Norwich, Wigan and Bradford (other clubs alike). Filling it with more dross from Barnsley and QPR isn't going to help the situation at all.

I've also watched Leeds a fair amount this season and can honestly say Lasogga is useless. He's not bad at finishing on a good day, but generally he's slow, lazy and useless at any link up play.

Think Skrtel and Solanke would be good shouts if we could get them!
No worries mate,opinions and all that.I would argue it depends on the individual in the case of an Onouha for example(QPR Captain) but fair do's.

Skrtel and Bartley would be the dream for centre half.

Need a couple of centre mids.

Davis.

Controversial shouts:

Jack Rodwell and Daniel Sturridge.

Was looking at who he played with in L.A. Giovani Dos Santos played there with him and still only 28.....

Arfield and Greegsy already secured.

I think this is the type of quality we need if we seriously want to challenge next season.

Davis.

Controversial shouts:

Was looking at who he played with in L.A. Giovani Dos Santos played there with him and still only 28.....

I think this is the type of quality we need if we seriously want to challenge next season.

Jack Rodwell's a waste of air

Allan McGregor
Martin Skrtel
Jonny Evans
Wilfried Kanon
Barry Douglas
John McGinn
Scott Arfield
Oli McBurnie
Abel Hernandez
Danny Ward

About 3 of these are realistic but considering Gerrards meant to be getting 7 gazillion or whatever and everyone under the sun will want to play for him then they’re all getable.

Last edited:
Given how unrealistic our manager appointment seemed (I'm fully aboard the train) I have no idea what's a realistic player target now...An exciting summer on the horizon...hopefully

Jack Rodwell's a waste of air

He's an undoubted talent though who has made a bad career move and went right off the boil. He's a Scouser if anyone could motivate him to get himself playing again you'd think it would be Gerrard.

Rodwell is Sean Goss on steroids when he's anywhere near at it.

Fraser looks tremendous but we've no chance as a result sadly.Cathcart has had a torrid time with injury,if he's truly over that I'd like him with us absolutely.Don't know Rolando at all?
I'm afraid Huth,Kone and Anya's best days are over.

Of that list Rhodes is a cracking shout imo,knows where the net is if you give him the chances which we tend to do.I'd love to see him at Ibrox.

Cathcart is just turned 29 and is starting tonight for Watford in the EPL, probably on minimum 40k per week. We’ve no chance of signing him.

Davis.

Controversial shouts:

Is Dos Santos not a bit of a superstar over there mate?(I don't watch MLS tbh so just guessing tbh).
Rodwell and Sturridge would spend more time on the treatment table than anything else.
Skrtel,Bartley and Davis you would think would improve us dramatically if fit enough though.

Is Dos Santos not a bit of a superstar over there mate?(I don't watch MLS tbh so just guessing tbh).
Rodwell and Sturridge would spend more time on the treatment table than anything else.
Skrtel,Bartley and Davis you would think would improve us dramatically if fit enough though.

I'm honestly not sure I don't watch the MLS. I just had a look at their squad earlier to see if they had any players I knew that we might be interested in.

Nigel De Jong there as well but probably a little too old now he's 34 this year.

Back