Record view

If it’s reached the point that just booing a player is deemed enough to walk off , then there’s no future in it as a spectator sport is there ? Absolute madness that you think this way . What a world we have become
I don’t really know why anyone would represent their country in the situation where the country’s supporters are booing them before a ball has even been kicked. I’ve felt the same about Rangers players getting booed onto the pitch at Scotland games.

A significant number,approximately 1.5 million people voted for Brexit in Scotland.I voted to remain but if the vote was held again I would be pro Brexit.The record should stop selectively mixing politics with football.
The players have made their own decision to stand against racism rather than kneel,that is their choice.
If the record really cares about racism I will look forward to their front page spread when a section of the tartan army boo the National Anthem and display anti Englixh racism.

The hypocrisy of all those speaking out now whilst they kept silent when a proven rascist, Leigh Griffiths, was being selected and played for the national team is quite flabbergasting to be honest.
Yep, and when the same retard held up Show Racism the red card notifications before a number of games not a comment was made.

“ booing by far right England fans “ how do they know the political stance of anyone booing ? It could be a centre ground sensible person sick of meaningless symbolism as Conor Goldson himself alluded to after the Kamara incident . People are fed up being told what they can and can’t do and what they should do .
Anti English hatred,the Record like the SNP wants to cultivate a small island mentality in Scotland,being bullied by its evil arrogant neighbour, somebody should ask the record/snp if we were still in europe how many people would have had the vaccine?you only have to look to the shambles in Europe for te answer

"Give them a day off school, Nicola" - having spent 15 months missing the majority of school lessons.

The Daily Record obviously thinks there's value in developing the next generation of Daily Record readers.

If thy want to watch a game, they can dog school the way their parents and grandparents did. Never did me any harrm apart from the one time I was caught and got 4 of the belt.

AFTER a short interruption of only 23 years, Steve Clarke’s squad has put Scotland back where we belong in the footballing firmament.

The festival of football about to kick off across Europe heralds a glorious month in which we can hope for better times ahead for us all.

From the Baku stadium in the east to our own Hampden Park in the far north west, via Munich’s translucent arena and Wembley’s steel arch, Europe is coming alive to the Beautiful Game after a long, bleak lockdown.

That Scotland is taking its place in this Europe of nations is a source of fantastic sporting pride.

The whole country is behind the team on the journey which could, who knows, involve more than one trip to Wembley (ach, we can but dream).

As important as the participation is the symbolism of Scotland coming back into the European home.

As a country, we never voted for Brexit and maintaining the binding ties to our neighbours, through sport, politics and culture, is hugely important.

For a whole generation of young Scots, and older ones who have managed to shake off the post-traumatic distress of 1978, this is going to be an amazing experience.

Two decades is a long time to wait and a generation of schoolkids should not miss this moment in Scotland’s sporting history.

Pupils should not be encouraged to skip lessons but the schools should, just for one day, Nicola, make football a big part of the curriculum and have the game on in class.

The value of the example from sport is not lost on pupils or on the rest of us. We take our cues from our heroes.

That’s why the decision of the squad not to take the knee in solidarity with those who still suffer racism is one which needs reconsideration.

It is not as if Scotland is immune from racism and the issue is as contentious on the field, as our own teams have experienced, as it is across Europe.

The England team, in defiance of some of their booing far-right fans, will take the knee before their matches.

It will not be a good image for our team to look as if they believe in some kind of Scottish exceptionalism, creating a mistaken perception in the eyes of Europe.

There is only one way to make this gesture against racism mean something and it is not to stand, it is to kneel.

It is a small but important and positive stance at the beginning of 90 minutes and a month of magic.
Unadulterated pish from start to finish

I don’t really know why anyone would represent their country in the situation where the country’s supporters are booing them before a ball has even been kicked. I’ve felt the same about Rangers players getting booed onto the pitch at Scotland games.
They aren’t booing the players . They are clearly booing the empty gesture , over a year on from when it was first intended to show some solidarity across the world . Nothings changed but taking a knee makes it all ok is how they are seeing it . And I can’t say I disagree with them . I wouldn’t boo , but I don’t see the problem with people voicing their own displeasure at what is widely now seen a just an empty pointless political gesture

They aren’t booing the players . They are clearly booing the empty gesture , over a year on from when it was first intended to show some solidarity across the world . Nothings changed but taking a knee makes it all ok is how they are seeing it . And I can’t say I disagree with them . I wouldn’t boo , but I don’t see the problem with people voicing their own displeasure at what is widely now seen a just an empty pointless political gesture
They are booing the players who are making the gesture.
And taking a knee doesn’t make it all ok, the fact is that things aren’t changing, but the only push I see is people wanting to stop players taking a knee, not making suggestions as to how to improve racial equality.

The hypocrisy of all those speaking out now whilst they kept silent when a proven rascist, Leigh Griffiths, was being selected and played for the national team is quite flabbergasting to be honest.
The SFA actually employed Malky McKay, a man previously sacked for racist comments.

They are booing the players who are making the gesture.
And taking a knee doesn’t make it all ok, the fact is that things aren’t changing, but the only push I see is people wanting to stop players taking a knee, not making suggestions as to how to improve racial equality.
Well taking the knee may have been a well meant gesture but the longer it has dragged on increasingly people have seen it for what it’s become . The fact nothing has changed after a year of doing it , and our own black players Goldson , Tavernier and Kamara saying it’s an empty gesture now , then it’s time to listen to those voices . Common sense seems to have gone out the window completely now with everyone jumping to one extreme view or the other in all walks of life .

tenor.gif

Breaking news, Scotland will now take a knee. FFS. This is at Wembley next Friday
They will stand for the first game which makes them racist, kneel for the next game so they won't be racist then stand for the last game and become racist again, is that right?
Maybe the whole thing is just a farce and the best way to stop racism is not to be racist either standing or kneeling

They will stand for the first game which makes them racist, kneel for the next game so they won't be racist then stand for the last game and become racist again, is that right?
Maybe the whole thing is just a farce and the best way to stop racism is not to be racist either standing or kneeling
What is going on ? Seriously .

As a country, we never voted for Brexit and maintaining the binding ties to our neighbours, through sport, politics and culture, is hugely important.

I thought they wanted to break away from our closest neighbours.

What a mess - a horrible fudge to keep someone happy.

Scotland now face only kneeling when England tell them to.
Where are you seeing this mate ? Been mentioned a couple of times . I can’t believe that , standing on two games but kneeling for one game ? That can’t be right it makes us look ridiculous . Make your stance and stand by it surely

Where are you seeing this mate ? Been mentioned a couple of times . I can’t believe that , standing on two games but kneeling for one game ? That can’t be right it makes us look ridiculous . Make your stance and stand by it surely
Tis true - what a farce.

Scotland players will take the knee in solidarity with their England counterparts when they play at Wembley in Euro 2020.

The Scots had confirmed on Thursday that they would continue standing in solidarity against racism during the tournament but the reaction has prompted a partial rethink 24 hours later.

"In light of divisive and inaccurate comments being perpetuated by individuals and groups, whose views we denounce in the strongest terms, we have reflected today as a group," head coach Steve Clarke said.

I thought they wanted to break away from our closest neighbours.
That sentence highlighted in their 'view' makes absolutely no sense.

They weren't booing their own players.
Ok… but they were.
To get an objective answer to why individuals boo or applaud, you would have to individually ask each person involved.
This assigning of views & lumping of people from a large cross section of society into one category and inability to have a nuanced discussion on the issue is why these threads always get the chop!

To get an objective answer to why individuals boo or applaud, you would have to individually ask each person involved.
This assigning of views & lumping of people from a large cross section of society into one category and inability to have a nuanced discussion on the issue is why these threads always get the chop!
Ok, the players taking a knee and the fans booing are not two things that happen in isolation. My view is that an attempt to distance this booing from the reality that it is clearly towards the players is disingenuous and an attempt to sanitise it.
For whatever reason someone is choosing to boo - whether that is racism, a belief politics shouldn’t be in sport, a belief they are expressing anti-Marxism - it is still the players who carry it out who they are booing. I don’t really see how it can possibly be anything else?

Ok, the players taking a knee and the fans booing are not two things that happen in isolation. My view is that an attempt to distance this booing from the reality that it is clearly towards the players is disingenuous and an attempt to sanitise it.
For whatever reason someone is choosing to boo - whether that is racism, a belief politics shouldn’t be in sport, a belief they are expressing anti-Marxism - it is still the players who carry it out who they are booing. I don’t really see how it can possibly be anything else?
A fair point well put.
I would suppose that people who boo could conceivably say that they are booing the gesture as opposed to the persons making the gesture?

Nice to have a reasonable discussion about it though.

The Record had a big 2-page article a few days ago interviewing the mother of my mate who vanished nearly 10 years ago in Dubai. They actually got her first name wrong at one point, maybe even twice as I stopped reading at the first mistake. A comic of a newspaper.

The so called "traumatic distress of 1978" was caused by the hype created by rags like the record. Poor Ally Mcleod was later hung out to dry by the SFA and the Scottish media. World cups of 74, 78, & 82 were great times to live through. Hopefully our younger supporters will get the same opportunity!
Spot on, the hype from the media in 78 was incredible. It was the start of the kilt wearing indecent exposing tartan army creation. And Expecting a top 3 finish was really cloud cuckoo land.

stand up the first game, kneel the second, stand up the third. It’s the Hokey Cokey . Up down up down shake it all about.

I think it might just be the hypocrisy and we as a support should know all about that in this backwater.
Our players said no. End of.

This is simple. Keep politics out of sport and have governments do the right thing through action and not politically motivated rhetoric that serves only to divide and exactly how they want it. Cvnts of the highest order.

That isn't caving to a 'woke mob' it's doing the right thing. They'll stand and continue as they are for the two Hampden games but show solidarity with the England players who are being booed by the idiots in their support. Spot on from Scotland. Would have looked awful if they stood while racists booed the England team for kneeling

“ booing by far right England fans “ how do they know the political stance of anyone booing ? It could be a centre ground sensible person sick of meaningless symbolism as Conor Goldson himself alluded to after the Kamara incident . People are fed up being told what they can and can’t do and what they should do .
I'm maybe a bit daft, but when the booing was first reported I honestly thought that it was because nothing meaningful was being done re taking the knee. Also imo not taking the knee added to fans booing may be taken more seriously. But then again maybe the DR is right and it's just right wing hooligans again

If Glen played for the yahoo's and Scotland and held the same position on not taking the knee, then no way alky kafflic Clarke would have them taking the knee.

You stand on a point of principle or you don't. Caving in to these woke cancel fvckers is the last thing anyone should be doing. Just shows being unprincipled and a lack of moral fibre.

These sad woke fvckers have no interest in righting anything, but just to try and be relevant.

Players should not be forced to do any of this and hopefully we see the end of these pointless gestures soon and get government off their corrupt arses and actually do something about it.

Oh wait a minute, that will cost money and unite people, so can't be having any of that shit.

I don't know about rage. However what has Brexit to do with football.

Constantly told to talk about football. It's not about politics.

Here we have it - Brexit.

Plus for a wee bit of afters - right wing England fans.

You don't have to rage. Just wonder at the hypocrisy
Assuming you’re right wing if you don’t agree with BLM protests is wrong

Back