Ref suspended for getting captains to play rock scissors paper

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
REFEREE David McNamara has been suspended by the FA after making two Women’s Super League captains play rock, paper, scissors to decide which side would take kick-off.

Manchester City’s Steph Houghton, who also captains England, and Reading’s Kirsty Pearce were made to participate in the children’s game after McNamara forgot to bring a coin for the kick-off flip in a match on October 26.

McNamara has now been banned for three weeks, with the suspension starting on November 26.

An FA Spokesman said: “The FA can confirm that referee David McNamara has been suspended for 21 days, starting from Monday 26 November, after accepting a charge of ‘not acting in the best interests of the game’.

“This follows an incident in the WSL match between Manchester City and Reading on Friday 26 October when he failed to determine which team would kick off the match by the toss of a coin, as required by the Laws of the Game.

“McNamara will return to duty from Monday 17 December.”

Speaking earlier this month, FA women’s refereeing manager Joanna Stimpson added: “The referee forgot his coin and in that moment, in a TV game, he was really pushed for time, it was a moment of madness.

“He obviously thought it was the right thing to do, he probably walked away, or the second afterwards, thought it wasn’t the right thing to do.

“It’s not defendable. He should have been more prepared, he should have had a coin but he didn’t. It was disappointing, it’s not appropriate, it’s very unprofessional.

“The laws of the game state you toss a coin. I can’t think it’s something we are going to ignore. He wasn’t taking the mick out of the game, it was just a really poor decision.”

I mean c'mon!
He forgot to put a coin in his pocket (not very professional) but made the best of a bad situation by choosing an alternative course of action...big deal!
If the two Captains thought it was unfair they should have said so and I'm sure he could have found a coin from somewhere.
Quite a pathetic reason for a complaint but probably fuelled by the fact that was a womens game so now is being cited as "disrespectful"...pathetic!

Bureaucratic a*seholes!!

Make an absolute c*nt of a game changing decision? Carry on as normal the following weekend.

Find practical solution after forgetting a coin for the coin toss? Three week ban! Mental.

Last edited:
Hardly original FFS! It's rife.....
grin570612a289aa046a.jpg

I think it was quick thinking to get the snatch started on time for TV. :D

Ridiculous decision from the FA.

The ref showed initiative

I think it was quick thinking to get the snatch started on time for TV. :D

Ridiculous decision from the FA.

The ref showed initiative
Every time a ref fùcks up, we get the well worn excuse that the rules are open to his interpretation.

It's still not as bad as the arsehole who booked Demarai Gray at Cardiff last week.

So no-one around the stadium had a coin he could use?
Women’s football mate, they would have had to rake about in their handbags for 20 mins to see if they had one before announcing they didn’t and their husbands usualy take care of all that sort of stuff.

REFEREE David McNamara has been suspended by the FA after making two Women’s Super League captains play rock, paper, scissors to decide which side would take kick-off.

Manchester City’s Steph Houghton, who also captains England, and Reading’s Kirsty Pearce were made to participate in the children’s game after McNamara forgot to bring a coin for the kick-off flip in a match on October 26.

McNamara has now been banned for three weeks, with the suspension starting on November 26.

An FA Spokesman said: “The FA can confirm that referee David McNamara has been suspended for 21 days, starting from Monday 26 November, after accepting a charge of ‘not acting in the best interests of the game’.

“This follows an incident in the WSL match between Manchester City and Reading on Friday 26 October when he failed to determine which team would kick off the match by the toss of a coin, as required by the Laws of the Game.

“McNamara will return to duty from Monday 17 December.”

Speaking earlier this month, FA women’s refereeing manager Joanna Stimpson added: “The referee forgot his coin and in that moment, in a TV game, he was really pushed for time, it was a moment of madness.

“He obviously thought it was the right thing to do, he probably walked away, or the second afterwards, thought it wasn’t the right thing to do.

“It’s not defendable. He should have been more prepared, he should have had a coin but he didn’t. It was disappointing, it’s not appropriate, it’s very unprofessional.

“The laws of the game state you toss a coin. I can’t think it’s something we are going to ignore. He wasn’t taking the mick out of the game, it was just a really poor decision.”
Small mistake and he solved it, bit 'arsh 'arry

Actually think it’s a better way of sorting the kick off tbh.

I’d implement this for all games. Televise it beforehand.

Latest posts

Back