Remember the Sunday mail covering up the racial abuse on Mark Walters at Celtic park ?

Apparently all those bananas that were thrown at him from the Celtic support, the constant monkey noises each time he touched the ball and the game being held up after half time to clear the trackside of fruit....didn't happen :rolleyes:

The TV pundits actually laughed it off :eek:

Without a doubt the worst incident of racial abuse ever seen in Scottish football, but still being swept under the carpet all these years later.

You couldn't buy a banana in Glasgow and Gerry Britton said " it was the saddest thing he ever had to do picking up the bananas afterwards" it was vile, nasty and downright fuc kin racist from the pro -Irish fascists.
I thought “Britton said that?”
Didn’t see you’d ended the quote.

Apparently all those bananas that were thrown at him from the Celtic support, the constant monkey noises each time he touched the ball and the game being held up after half time to clear the trackside of fruit....didn't happen :rolleyes:
You’ll notice that it wasn’t bananas though.
It was “fruit!”
Bananas have racist connotations.
Can’t have septic supporters branded as racist, can we?
Then they accuse another paper, who told it correctly I believe, of being gutter press.

You’ll notice that it wasn’t bananas though.
It was “fruit!”
Bananas have racist connotations.
Can’t have septic supporters branded as racist, can we?
Then they accuse another paper, who told it correctly I believe, of being gutter press.

A vile set of racist scum supporters, still behaving in the same racist manner to this day.

It was only "a few stupid fans" that did it. No mention of racism or hatred. Can you imagine this was a story about our fans. It would be national news headlines.

Who was the young celtic player who told of collecting bananas.
The player who told the truth on what happened that day
Gerry britton.

He said he was disgusted when told to go out and pick up the bananas thrown by the mentally challengeds.
Who was the young celtic player who told of collecting bananas.
The player who told the truth on what happened that day

Thousands of mentally challengeds making monkey chants and hundreds of bananas thrown on the pitch.

Nothing to report apparently.

I remember the FF Fanzine published an issue then with the clear message on the front page - "Blue - the only colour that matters". True then and true now.

The Rangers Board responded with their usual "negligent silence" routine, instead of exposing this disgusting incident for exactly what it was!

That was thirty years ago. Many further years of negligent silence followed, and many of the troubles we have suffered have been caused, or at least fueled, by the "negligent silence" routine observed by previous regimes.

I first acquired shares in Rangers FC plc in 1974, and at virtually every Rangers AGM, the Board were tasked, pleaded with, told, in no uncertain terms to adopt a more robust approach with the media, and every time they did nothing! Negligent, with a capital N.

Returning to Mark Walters himself, when the RST was launched 15 years ago, Mark was our mystery guest at our Launch Meeting, held in Partick Burgh Halls, and we had to keep his appearance a secret in case the Club tried to sabotage it.

Present also that day were representatives of Supporters Direct, who had been briefed by their Celtic-minded contingent that we were a bunch of racists! When Mark Walters entered the Hall at the appropriate time, he got an absolutely spontaneous rapturous reception from all in attendance, thus quashing another lie emanating from the Celtic propaganda machine.

Mark himself was genuinely honoured to become the Trust's first Honorary Member.

I was at the game and you could hear the monkey chants loud coming from the shit pen they called the jungle, this was the majority who made the noises and it held about ten thousand mentally challengeds.

Returning to Mark Walters himself, when the RST was launched 15 years ago, Mark was our mystery guest at our Launch Meeting, held in Partick Burgh Halls, and we had to keep his appearance a secret in case the Club tried to sabotage it.

Why would the club try that?

Sweep sweep tactics even back then, scumbags.

Police made only 25 arrests, all for minor offences

The fans were extremely well behaved :eek:

There were over 100 arrests at the 1973 Cup Final with no significant trouble.
My recollections of the 70’s is it was quite easy to get arrested for “breach of
the peace” which was used extensively. Most people I grew up with had convictions
for “breach”.

I remember the FF Fanzine published an issue then with the clear message on the front page - "Blue - the only colour that matters". True then and true now.

The Rangers Board responded with their usual "negligent silence" routine, instead of exposing this disgusting incident for exactly what it was!

That was thirty years ago. Many further years of negligent silence followed, and many of the troubles we have suffered have been caused, or at least fueled, by the "negligent silence" routine observed by previous regimes.

I first acquired shares in Rangers FC plc in 1974, and at virtually every Rangers AGM, the Board were tasked, pleaded with, told, in no uncertain terms to adopt a more robust approach with the media, and every time they did nothing! Negligent, with a capital N.

Present also that day were representatives of Supporters Direct, who had been briefed by their Celtic-minded contingent that we were a bunch of racists! When Mark Walters entered the Hall at the appropriate time, he got an absolutely spontaneous rapturous reception from all in attendance, thus quashing another lie emanating from the Celtic propaganda machine.

Mark himself was genuinely honoured to become the Trust's first Honorary Member.
Yip, I remember it well. I was in attendance that day.

My recollections of this shameful passage in Scotland football history is the almost unbelievable difference in the way the Celtic and the Hearts games were reported.

As you can see, to say the first game at Parkhead was totally misrepresented. The press and media tried to pass the Celtic fans involvement off as one of two things; insignificant, unworthy of much attention, or done mostly as some sort of joke. Celtic fans - tiny minority and possibly just a bit of fun.

Fast forward to the Tynecastle game. Now it is a different ball game, the Hearts fans are roundly condemned by all and sundry. No minority here, and their actions are certainly not considered as 'banter'.

I vividly remember reading the papers and thinking that, compared to Hearts, Celtic got away with absolute murder that day.

The worrying thing is the media today is even more 'Celtic minded' than it was back then.

DeEupd9WAAAn0mJ.jpg
search

But I thought septic was founded for black people?

Last edited:
Who can or would want to sue a mentally challenged and deranged person its more pity we should feel for him because he is obviously to be polite unstable in the brain department".
DeEupd9WAAAn0mJ.jpg
search

But I thought septic was founded for black people?

Radio Clyde Sports panel TO A MAN were laughing at the fact that every green grocers in the area were sold out of fruit and veg that day .

That article is typical of the poet mhedia in this country.

I remember Archie McPherson describing the game being stopped to remove fruit from the pitch during his commentary, and after the highlights saying he was embarrassed to be Scottish because of the disgusting, racist treatment Walters took.

Walters was a class act and a model professional who never let it affect his performances for us when he was up here, and also never made any complaints or told any lies about the situation. (unlike a certain Paul Elliot!!!).

I was at both matches - at parkhead and tynecastle and the abuse at parkhead was far far worse. there were guys in the so called "jungle" stand dressed in gorilla costumes and the bananas were pouring on the pitch and the oo oo noises were outrageous.

I have long said this was the single worst act of racism in British football - I have got into many fights with mentally challengeds who try to make out if was only a couple of bananas.

I also remember a couple of incidents with el hadj diouf - once with liverpool and the other with Rangers - he was racially abused also.

Mark Walters moved into a new build house in Bothwell soon after signing for us

His house was fenced in to a height of about six feet, and backed onto a public path, that I used every day to walk my dog.

The very first day he moved in his fence was vandalised with a racist and sectarian comment....."The Coon Lives Here.....Celtic Youth Crew 1916"

I don't suppose Mark knew anything about it.

Last edited:
Has any newspaper/reporter/media ever had the balls to call that shower of scum out for what they really are? They have no problem giving it big licks when we are at fault,and I have no problems when it is deserved,but never have I seen them getting bad press like us and I'm been around for a long,long time.

Walters was still being racially abused 18 months on at 89 Cup Final. You can here their fans clearly every time he gets the ball when we are attacking their half

The fhilth and their moronic fans are untouchable because they have nurtured a victim mentality aided and abetted by the Scottish press/media most of which are poet infested.

Why would the club try that?

McClelland feared the RST as they wanted what was best for the Club, while he wanted what was best for David Murray. The Club were approached regarding the launch meeting, and asked to publish details in the Rangers News, but refused, and also tried to strangle the Trust at birth via other means.

Such behavior, reprehensible though it was, was typical of directors of many other clubs, who felt that supporters should have no voice, but just keep funding their personal playthings. "When we want your opinion, we'll give it to you" was one pretty accurate way of summing it up.

Back