Renaming of the stands

Creed Bratton

Been watching the Man Utd v Chelsea game and looking at their stands named after their legendary figures got me thinking. I know we have Bill Struth and Sandy Jardine stands but what is the views on the other two been renamed ie John Greig, Walter Smith or the Gallant Pioneers. Views on this?

We have the Family stand as well

The Sandy Jardine Stand used to have corporate sponsorship at one time

The McEwans Govan Stand 1987-2001

I wasn't in favour of naming a stand after a former player as there are so many giants in our history, and that is no criticism of Sandy Jardine.
Still feel the same, although there is an argument that if you do keep a stand named after Sandy Jardine then you can't do anything other than name one after John Greig as he was captain and leader to Jardine, played more, won more, scored more.

Been watching the Man Utd v Chelsea game and looking at their stands named after their legendary figures got me thinking. I know we have Bill Struth and Sandy Jardine stands but what is the views on the other two been renamed ie John Greig, Walter Smith or the Gallant Pioneers. Views on this?
If I’m being honest I’m not particularly keen on naming stands after players.

I prefer the traditional Main Stand, Broomloan, Copland, Govan.

I also think the naming on the stands looks tacky.

I sit in the Govan Front, not the Sandy Jardine front and that’s no disrespect to SJ.

I wasn't in favour of naming a stand after a former player as there are so many giants in our history, and that is no criticism of Sandy Jardine.
Still feel the same, although there is an argument that if you do keep a stand named after Sandy Jardine then you can't do anything other than name one after John Greig as he was captain and leader to Jardine, played more, won more, scored more.

I can’t disagree with this but what stand do you name after him?

Sandy Jardine’s memory has been romanticised to a certain extent in recent years. There were quite a few negatives about his role at Ibrox after he finished playing.

Think they will always be called the govan Copland broomloan main stand (enclosures) to the fans. If they renamed Ibrox it would still be Ibrox if you know what i mean

Sandy Jardine’s memory has been romanticised to a certain extent in recent years. There were quite a few negatives about his role at Ibrox after he finished playing.

I'm not too sure that its been "romanticised", as such.

I think it was more to do with the fact that, at one point, he was one of only two of 'us' at the club. He quite literally led the fans at a time when we were at a historic low.

Dont mean this in a disrespectful way to Sandy Jardine, however I never call it the SJ stand, it will always be Govan stand to me as will the Copland, Main stand and Broomloan. Govan stand is where I sat for my first gers game and have ST there now.

I think the statue of JG is enough (l know it was built as a memorial for the Ibrox Disaster but l feel having a statue and a stand named after you is a bit much).
Naming the different restaurants, bars and suites in honour of past legends seems fitting and sufficient .

Might have been, the error has to be rectified.

To change back the name of the stand would not really be feasible. Like you I was against the naming of the SJ stand in the first place, it was done far too quickly, but it's too late to do anything about it, and would be interpreted not as a criticism of the previous board, but as some slight of SJ.

I'd prefer to have statues of all major important figures erected on the walkway outside the main stand (in between the lanes of traffic)

I'd like to erect blue gates across that road permanent, the whole length of the main stand.

Sandy may have said some things that didn' go down well with a section of the fans,but he was one of the few who stood up for us during these dark days.
As a fan I grew up watching Sandy (Willie) Jardine and he rightly deserves his legendary status.

after doing the founders trail a wee while back ive thought since then, if anything was to be named or renamed, Tom Vallance should definitely be considered.

I’m not a fan of naming stands after ex-players, managers, legends etc.

There’s so many historical legends from our club that we don’t have enough stands to acknowledge them all.

Main Stand, broomloan, Copland and Govan is my preferred reference.

Sandy may have said some things that didn' go down well with a section of the fans,but he was one of the few who stood up for us during these dark days.
As a fan I grew up watching Sandy (Willie) Jardine and he rightly deserves his legendary status.
I grew up with him as well, I saw him score many great goals and put up some fantastic defensive displays. He also stood tall in the dark days as you say.

He however overstepped his mark a few times before those dark days, he interfered in some things that I don’t think was his business. However I would never besmirch his name by going any further than what I have said.

This will be an unpopular opinion I’m sure but I believe it was a decision taken by a scumbag board in an attempt to curry favour with the support.
It really really pains me to say this but I suspect you're right.
I grew up idolising Sandy, became friends when he was a customer of mine when he worked for S&N Breweries and kept that up when he came to work for Rangers, I even gave my son his middle name in honour of the man......that's how much I admired him!
However I still think that we've had far too many Legendary players that have played for us over the last 146 years to pick one individual out and name a Stand after him.
The Bill Struth Stand is kind of acceptable as he truly was a remarkable Ranger but for me I still refer to it as The Main Stand.
The problem now is if we ever decide to rename the Govan Stand, it will be a horrible sleight for Sandy's family.

Anyone else remember when Ibrox was redeveloped the three new stands where called the Copland Road, Govan Road & Broomloan Road stands?

Yeah I don't either like the idea of naming stands in honour of someone, like others have said the re-naming of the Govan stand was done by crooks and rapists to curry flavour with the fans at the time. Do we take down the signs? Sandy would have.

Anyone else remember when Ibrox was redeveloped the three new stands where called the Copland Road, Govan Road & Broomloan Road stands?

The Govan Stand was originally called the North Stand and was that for 1981/82 season maybe into 1982/83 by the time we played Celtc on 1st January 1983 it was known as the Govan Stand

The Govan Stand was originally called the North Stand and was that for 1981/82 season maybe into 1982/83 by the time we played Celtc on 1st January 1983 it was known as the Govan Stand
I had totally forgot about the Govan being called the North stand, well remembered mate, I’ve defenately got an old ticket stub somewhere for the Govan Road stand or maybe I’m losing my marbles :(.

Rename the Broomloan "The King William of Orange" stand. The campaign could probably be cancelled.

What about a dodecagon stadium? (had to look it up). We'd have 12 small stands to name with the added bonus of shoving the filth into to one instead of a full end.

The Copland Road stand was always the Rangers end while the other end was the celtc end. There was the Stand and the North Stand.

Sorted.

We should get the approach to Ibrox sorted out first and foremost, they manky c.nts get all the help that they need from the mentally challenged infested council,

Would love it if we paved over the road outside the main and have it all lit up with statues of true greats from one end to the other,

Expensive yes but we can dream i suppose.

I personally prefer the stands with there traditional names. But change is sometimes thrust along us and if someone was willing to pay a fortune to sponsor Ibrox then I would be all for it.

Back