Repair George Square Benches Accidently Damaged During Celebrations

There’s a story on twitter about how one of the benches is a memorial for a still born baby. I’m going to be honest there. Anyone looking in that’s responsible. You’re a lady's front bottom.

Good to see the support responding to repair this but it won’t fix the pain it caused. We really do make open goals for ourselves.

That's tragic. But I don't think it's as if someone saw that it was a bench for a stillborn child and decided to then destroy it.
Many of these benches have small plaques affixed to them that can be easily missed unless you're looking for it. Some idiots who drank too much will likely not notice it and just jump up and down on it.

If your standing doing the bouncy on a wooden bench that’s been exposed to the Scottish elements for a period of time there is always a risk this could happen, could have happened to anyone. no chance this was deliberate.
Stick a few quid in each and we can get it sorted together. problem solved and move on.

would have been good to have had a squad go around this morning and clean up the square a bit too, Shame to see photos with so much litter on the ground.

No I won’t come on. I’m implying a small portion of our support are absolute morons who don’t give a shit about the damage things like this does to the club’s name. Those benches are memorials to people that families loved. Stop making excuses.
Come on, are you implying a Rangers fan read the memorial, digested it's sensitivity and importance and decided to wreck anyway?

There's enough people attacking us at the moment, come on...

Wit?

Benches were accidentally broken, what do you want Rangers to say?
Not asking Rangers to say a great deal other than to offer to replace benches accidentally broken by fans of the club.

Don’t think there’s too much for you to get offended about there.

TBF this applies to damaging a memorial for any loved one. So for anyone looking in who may be responsible for damaging any of those benches. You are a mindless lady's front bottom. Great gesture by bears to fund the repair. I'll contribute. But we shouldn't have to.
Do you seriously actually think anyone targeted these benches? The damage will have occurred from too many people standing on them. Nothing malicious about it, just unfortunate.

TBF this applies to damaging a memorial for any loved one. So for anyone looking in who may be responsible for damaging any of those benches. You are a mindless lady's front bottom. Great gesture by bears to fund the repair. I'll contribute. But we shouldn't have to.
Not making excuses, but there's a world of difference by accidentally doing it and deliberate vandalism.

Good idea, get them sorted. We don't need to he turning on our own, because under no circumstances did anyone set out to do that or was aware of its significance.

Council currently charge £1215 for a bench and 5 year lease. Extension of the lease is 50% the cost so we are looking at £650ish per bench.

No I won’t come on. I’m implying a small portion of our support are absolute morons who don’t give a shit about the damage things like this does to the club’s name. Those benches are memorials to people that families loved. Stop making excuses.

Unless you know beyond doubt the precise situation that led to that bench being damaged, you should descend from your high horse and not make damaging assumptions.

Your implication is that a Rangers fan read the memorial message dedicated to a very harrowing family tragedy and said %^*& it, I'm gonna wreck this.

You don't know that's the case, it's incredibly more likely it was an accident due to multiple people's weight being on it.

Good effort.

These things happen I am sure no one did this intentionally, but if any bears are reading this thread and they know they may of been a bit heavier than they thought, then I hope they chip in to help out.

Great move to do this, from the fans not the club.

I would suggest getting in touch with GCC to get the metal plaques kept aside.

Great that everyone is getting together to fix the benches that were accidentally broken when too much people were standing on them, I heard the 1 o'clock news on snyde and that was their main talking point, the "vandalised memorial benches" I would like to hear someone mentioning the fundraising effort to fix and replace them in one of the future news bulletins. Well done to everyone involved with the fundraising.

There’s a story on twitter about how one of the benches is a memorial for a still born baby. I’m going to be honest there. Anyone looking in that’s responsible. You’re a lady's front bottom.

Good to see the support responding to repair this but it won’t fix the pain it caused. We really do make open goals for ourselves.
The benches were very flimsy already, this wasn’t done deliberately. When people gather in crowds, you will always have some trying to get a better viewpoint. My son who is 14 stood on one of them and almost went through it.

I think your being unfair, branding someone a lady's front bottom when you have no idea of the circumstances

Is that a serious question?
Yes, but not a q just for you. You'll know better than many the issues of working with GCC and the potential insistance things must be worked through their processes.

I'd hope they'd welcome replacements of the same standard, but bureaucracy is at times what it is.

Rangers Football Club celebrated their World Record 55th League Championship yesterday! For a football club to have come through so much and emerge to again become the Kings of Scottish Football is a remarkable achievement.

The Rangers Support have been with the club all the way and it was to be expected that there would be joyous celebrations to follow. During these celebrations, there appears to have been accidental damage to a small number of memorial benches in George Square. This, whilst clearly unintentional, is not something the Rangers Support would like to have seen done and as a result, we are fundraising to replace these benches as a true and sincere gesture of respect.

If there are any additional funds raised we will donate them to the Anthony Nolan Charity which helps save the lives of people with blood cancer and blood disorders. If you are aged between 16-30 you can also help by joining their donation register https://www.anthonynolan.org/8-ways-you-could-save-life/donate-your-stem-cells

Please donate here:
Well done Robert

Do you seriously actually think anyone targeted these benches? The damage will have occurred from too many people standing on them. Nothing malicious about it, just unfortunate.

No I dont think for a second anyone targeted these benches in a malicious way. Just find it a shame that people were so mindless, causing fellow bears to have to put their hands in their pockets to pay for their "exuberance" and bail them out for their stupidity.

Chucked my donation in and shared on Twitter and FB.

Every wee bit helps I guess.

Great response by Robert and the other fundraiser starter, typical of our good fanbase. Would like to think though that folk who actually did it would be decent enough to put their hands in their own pockets, accident or not. They know who they are and probably a few at least will be on here. Not up to other fans to cover their arses, sorry.

Unfortunate as it was that some benches got damaged we are doing the right thing here by repairing them and another charity will get it's coffers boosted by a considerable sum to moot.I wonder how we will get portrayed by this?
Swinney will be back on tv tomorrow to praise our fans for the quick response in raising thousands to restore the benches accidentally broken and more money to charity . Nailed on .

Unless you know beyond doubt the precise situation that led to that bench being damaged, you should descend from your high horse and not make damaging assumptions.

Your implication is that a Rangers fan read the memorial message dedicated to a very harrowing family tragedy and said %^*& it, I'm gonna wreck this.

You don't know that's the case, it's incredibly more likely it was an accident due to multiple people's weight being on it.

I’m not detailing the thread by arguing this. I stand by what I say. Regardless of the circumstances it hurt grieving families. Stop mitigating it. There would have been absolute outrage on here if it had been the scum.

would have been good to have had a squad go around this morning and clean up the square a bit too, Shame to see photos with so much litter on the ground.
George Square this morning. Our fans supported the council to clean up after the title celebrations. Whilst we except to receive criticism for the celebrations I doubt these photos will be widely shared as it’s not a click bait headline. Thanks lads, class but expected
1f534.png
⚪️
1f535.png

May be an image of outdoors

George Square this morning. Our fans supported the council to clean up after the title celebrations. Whilst we except to receive criticism for the celebrations I doubt these photos will be widely shared as it’s not a click bait headline. Thanks lads, class but expected
1f534.png
⚪️
1f535.png

May be an image of outdoors
Council already have said it was them and them alone who cleaned it. The lads posting it on twitter saying it was fans were just having a laugh

Back