Reports that Barasic has signed a pre-contract with a Turkish team and Lundstram is hoping to do so as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where does this leave Clement with the 2 players for the rest of the season? We can't guarentee they will burst a gut in the games that remain.
When did Barisic last bust a gut?

I agree though, how is he meant to keep those two motivated, but you could argue they're are professionals and should carry themselves in such a way until they leave a club who have given them a bigger step than they would have been given elsewhere.

Maybe a good thing? If they have their futures secured, they have a club to go to regardless of injury?

The likes of Jack, Roofe etc I would be more concerned about because if they are injured they will be less likely to attract a club for the new season
Jack and Roofe won't be giving a flying one. Good to see both move on and off the wage bill..

I quoted the date of the article, which is getting on for two years ago. You replied. What else do you what me to say to appease you?

what has the date go to do with it? Do you want something more recent? you just threw the year out there like it was nothing to the topic at hand.

You can go back a decade or more with Turkish club fucking over players with contracts and wages.

Players having to go to FIFA to raise claims.

Jack and Roofe won't be giving a flying one. Good to see both move on and off the wage bill..
Completely agree. My point was that if the likes of roofe and Jack don’t have something lined up I can’t imagine them winning many 50/50s if called upon for the rest of the season. Their primary focus will be staying fit and injury free to help them find a club , as such not players who could be relied on to contribute.

Borna's heads not been in it since Gerrard left he should have been sold seasons ago he's been embarrassing especially in OF games. Lundstram has been one of my favourites this season and i will be slightly sad to see him go, but no players bigger than our club! Obviously it's about the money with him also he's not getting any younger too. 5 big games coming up it's not ideal to be in this situation with players but they can go if their heads have been turned.

what has the date go to do with it? Do you want something more recent? you just threw the year out there like it was nothing to the topic at hand.

You can go back a decade or more with Turkish club fucking over players with contracts and wages.

Players having to go to FIFA to raise claims.
I added the date of the report, simply to provide context.

I never disputed your point or the contents of the report, however, you seemingly assumed that it was a form of criticism, which it wasn't.

I don’t think there will be that much of a purge to be honest.

Right now it just looks like all the out of contract players leaving, but we will need to make one or two decent sized sales to fund a large rebuild with the quality we all want.

Need the perpetual losers out the squad, they'll do for starters.

I added the date of the report, simply to provide context.

I never disputed your point or the contents of the report, however, you seemingly assumed that it was a form of criticism, which it wasn't.

I'm sure you could have added "context" with more detail in your initial post.

simply leaving "2022" gives the impression, sorry assumption, "2 years ago, things have changed."

Where does this leave Clement with the 2 players for the rest of the season? We can't guarentee they will burst a gut in the games that remain.
I'd argue Lundstram already has his feet well off the gas and is just coasting now, back to sideways and backwards passing with no risks or driving forward. He's absolutely holding back and has been since the chance of a new bumper deal with us elapsed.

And Barisic hasn't extended himself for a long time.

When has Barisic every really bust a guy?
Barasic had a decent amount of heart under Gerard, once he found his form - I recall the night a Hibbie ned lobbed a vodka bottle at him, and he looked like he wanted to square go the whole stand!

Alas, post-Gerard he hasn't looked the same player, epitomised by that night at the Piggery...

Bottle merchant against the tims for a start, 6 years 2.2 million cost and no doubt at least a million a year on salary, lets say he cost £10 million all in with the fee / wages.
3 cups in six years, not for me.
He had some brilliant games against the scum during his time here. Something clearly changed mentally around when Gerrard left, although he still had some great games.

He’s not the player he once was but over the years he was a good player. Played his part in a record breaking, unbeaten defence, during our most important title win. As well as winning two cups and playing a big part in resurrecting our reputation in Europe.

Barasic should never have played for Rangers again after he shat his pants at Parkhead in February 2022.

Some Rangers legends were dropped for far, far less than that.
This. The worst display I have ever seen from a rangers player in an OF and I’ve seen a lot. Embarrassing. Souness would have kicked him all the way back to Ibrox that night

Madness. So every player that chooses to exercise his right to see out his contract, and then signs a pre-contract elsewhere, is put in cold storage? You’d probably go the whole hog and simply refuse to play anyone in the last year of their contract, wouldn’t you? With that sort of contract management no c*unt would ever sign for your Club. :confused:
If they sign a pre contract elsewhere then yes they should be frozen out of the playing squad imo.

Don’t know what you’re talking about players in their last year of their contracts for.

If confirmed he’s signed for another club just don’t pick him again

Barisic has been a liability for a while

We need to play players who are committed to the club

Same with Lundstram

If Ridvan can’t play in the next 2 games he needs moved on as well

We need more robust players

Totally disagree about Jack the man’s a diehard blue nose he’s been blighted by injuries most of his career. Had a serious injury at the sheep and it’s often been said he never fully recovered.

If they sign a pre contract elsewhere then yes they should be frozen out of the playing squad imo.

Don’t know what you’re talking about players in their last year of their contracts for.
Because the same thing applies. In fact, if they haven’t signed a pre-contract elsewhere it is, arguably, even less likely that they bust a gut or risk injury in their last few weeks/months.

Setting their personalities aside, why would you expect more from a fit Jack in the next few weeks than a fit Lundstram?

The Manager knows the player and he sees him every day training. If HE thinks the player merits a place then surely that should be enough for all of us.

Borna's heads not been in it since Gerrard left he should have been sold seasons ago he's been embarrassing especially in OF games. Lundstram has been one of my favourites this season and i will be slightly sad to see him go, but no players bigger than our club! Obviously it's about the money with him also he's not getting any younger too. 5 big games coming up it's not ideal to be in this situation with players but they can go if their heads have been turned.
I told my family on Sunday that I expected Barasic to go down injured and that he would claim injury till the end of the season,I really hope I am wrong but we shall see.

He had some brilliant games against the scum during his time here. Something clearly changed mentally around when Gerrard left, although he still had some great games.

He’s not the player he once was but over the years he was a good player. Played his part in a record breaking, unbeaten defence, during our most important title win. As well as winning two cups and playing a big part in resurrecting our reputation in Europe.
Gerrard knew exactly what he was and called him out on multiple occasions. He seemed to rise to that challenge at times but post Gerrard he has been a disgrace against them - especially at the Piggery.

Because the same thing applies. In fact, if they haven’t signed a pre-contract elsewhere it is, arguably, even less likely that they bust a gut or risk injury in their last few weeks/months.

Setting their personalities aside, why would you expect more from a fit Jack in the next few weeks than a fit Lundstram?

The Manager knows the player and he sees him every day training. If HE thinks the player merits a place then surely that should be enough for all of us.
First para is bang on. Someone with a fixed contract is far less concerned with getting blootered than one with total uncertainty.

It really isn’t. It’s nonsense that Kent, Morleos, Lundstrum, Barasic etc walk out the door for nothing inside 12 months.

Clement said as much when he joined.
So tell me how you sell a player intent on running his contract down so he can then go on and demand higher wages as a free agent?

Can't wait until he goes. I can then come onto FF safe in the knowledge that I won't have to see "Barasic" written again- that's unless we actually sign a player called Barasic in the summer, and folks then spell it Barisic- and then the whole thing starts again.
Cracks me up every time. With Lundstram rumoured to be going, there's another frequent mis-spelt player we can expunge!

I think when we used to sing about dreaming about a team of Davie Weirs, it was because his name was easier to spell.

Last edited:

I think I understand what you’re saying but I disagree that they’re immediately comparable.

If someone is in their last year but wants to stay then I’d imagine that person will try harder than someone in Borna or Lundstram’s position surely?

That’s not a dig at them, they need to look after themselves at the end of the day and if they’ve agreed a deal elsewhere why would they risk injuring themselves here in the interim?

I think I understand what you’re saying but I disagree that they’re immediately comparable.

If someone is in their last year but wants to stay then I’d imagine that person will try harder than someone in Borna or Lundstram’s position surely?

That’s not a dig at them, they need to look after themselves at the end of the day and if they’ve agreed a deal elsewhere why would they risk injuring themselves here in the interim?
Wanting to stay and having the option to stay are entirely different though. I'd imagine, for example, the likes of McLaughlin, Roofe and Jack know they have no chance of getting a new contract. Probably Balogun falls into that category as well. Although not out of contract you can probably throw Wright into that category also. If we are really lucky then Davies as well. They too will all be thinking they need to get to the end of the season uninjured (or just plain old fit in some cases) to have any chance of a contract elsewhere. If I'm right then it leaves them basically in the same position as Barisic and Lundstram.

Only they, and of course the Manager, will know their mindset. We aren't really in a position to ignoring players who might be available for selection just because they are probably looking elsewhere. Leave players out for poor form, or simply because they aren't good enough, but not because we know their time is done.

Looks like we won't agree, which is fine. To reiterate, I don't expect Lundstram to drop out of the team for the DhimDome. I don't think Big Phil will even give it a passing thought if the player is fit.

Maybe we will get some thoughts from him today. I assume there is a media conference?

Totally disagree about Jack the man’s a diehard blue nose he’s been blighted by injuries most of his career. Had a serious injury at the sheep and it’s often been said he never fully recovered.
I’ve definitely lost patience with Jack.
Knowing his body weaknesses he should have retired from international football and prioritised if he he really was a diehard bluenose.

Would definitely have preferred Arfield got that extension rather than Jack.

It isn't, but if you take a hardline approach, it would potentially be easier. Make it clear that when a player enters the last 24 months of deal that they either extend or move on. Failure to do either and you are sitting in the stands for 2 years. Aye some players might be acceptable to that, but not many would want to waste 2 years of their career.
Pretty much a definition of constructive dismissal.
Why do people think that employment law doesn't apply to football clubs/players?

So tell me how you sell a player intent on running his contract down so he can then go on and demand higher wages as a free agent?

Barasic wasn’t intent on running down his contract. His wife moved home last April to give birth and never returned. He had offers in the summer and wanted back to Croatia. Beale rejected them.

And in reply to your question, you bring the player and his agent in for a meeting and tell them the player can go for a reasonable price. Agent then finds player a new club. It’s what we did with Glen Kamara and his agent last summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back