Right/Left center back

Albertz Loyal

Official Ticketer
When did this become a thing?

Surely playing centre back it doesn't really matter if your right or left footed. You're generally in the middle and have to deal with things on both sides of your body irrespective of what side you play on.

Seems like a new modem football ideology.

Surely playing centre back it doesn't really matter if your right or left footed. You're generally in the middle and have to deal with things on both sides of your body irrespective of what side you play on.

I get your point, as you never seem to hear this conversation about centre midfielders.

However, I do think it makes a big difference when it comes to centre backs being played on their “preferred” side.

Tell me you've never played the game without saying you've never played the game.

It’s really not mate, how many left sided CH’s can you think of that have played on the right of the 2?

Everything from passing to tackling is affected by your favoured foot. If you are weak on one side then by definition, you leave a weakness.

In Borna and Souttar’s case (as an example), we have seen a few moments where the opposition are finding gaps between them.

It’s very much something that’s talked about more often now but good centre halves should be able to play both sides.

I actually don’t think it matters too much when you’re setting up defensively but I do think it helps add some balance when you’re a team who dominate possession and try to build from the back.

It’s always been a thing, if you’re the lcb and right footed and you aren’t comfortable using your left foot then you’ll struggle with tackles as you naturally want to cut across with your right.

Also passing up the wing with your left foot is better and more precise than with your right as in swing it rather than out swing it, there so much more I could go on about.

It’s became more of an issue as clubs are looking at ever little margin for getting wins.

For a long time it was a centre half and sweeper. I can't remember if you would have a left / right footer combination or if it didn't matter.
I guess attackers would always go for the defenders weaker side.

I agree good centre half’s should be able to play either. It’s not a big ask.

People are trying to look for reasons as to Souttar’s underwhelming start

It’s very much something that’s talked about more often now but good centre halves should be able to play both sides.

I actually don’t think it matters too much when you’re setting up defensively but I do think it helps add some balance when you’re a team who dominate possession and try to build from the back.

How many centre halves do play either side? I. Dt if you look at the great centre halves they all play on a certain side of the defence and very rarely play on the other side.

I agree good centre half’s should be able to play either. It’s not a big ask.

People are trying to look for reasons as to Souttar’s underwhelming start

You've clearly never played that position. Look all over the world and top centre halves don't play either side. They play the same side all the time.

It’s always been a thing but it’s become much more prominent now with the different styles and playing out from the back.

It’s also very much a thing in midfield, especially when out of possession.

It is different but I can't remember it ever really being spoken about so much before.

Any centre half will have played each side by the time they reach Rangers. It's not new to them.

Additionally, lots of teams have two right footed centre backs.

Always been a thing, take Goldson for example and how many games he has lined up on the lcb side?

Souttar is being hung out to dry on that side as he is at his weakest there at the minute and it will take him time to adjust, he has mostly spent his career letting forwards down his right side and away from goal, move him to lcb and that's a big change.

Always been a thing, take Goldson for example and how many games he has lined up on the lcb side?

Souttar is being hung out to dry on that side as he is at his weakest there at the minute and it will take him time to adjust, he has mostly spent his career letting forwards down his right side and away from goal, move him to lcb and that's a big change.
From memory Goldson hasn’t once been asked to play LCB

It’s football manager nonsense and you can easily tell when proper say things like LCM, RCM etc.

The majority of players are right-footed and the majority of centre backs are right footed.

When it comes to full backs and wingers, their preferred foot matters more because they are tasked with moving the ball forward closer to the touchline and this is a more natural movement with the respective foot.

It helps to play on the side where you’re stronger footed.

Simple things like tackling, showing players down the outside, receiving a pass and opening the body up to play it to the full back etc

If you're in the centre, the ball can come down either channel, and you have you cover either side if the first man gets beaten. (See goldson when he covered in the second half no problem).

Full back it makes a huge difference, but a quality centre half should be able to deal with either side

I played right centre half or right back, occasionally I was shifted to the left and it just felt totally alien to me.
Me too. Few people including non-footballers are equally balanced on both legs so shift their weight differently. One is usually predominant. It’s why you don’t see it happening too often at the professional level and rarely with top CBs.

Against a decent attacker it makes next no difference. Just because you are on the side of your strongest foot does not mean that an attacker is automatically going to allow you to use that slim advantage. In fact, a good attacker will always look for a small advantage so instead of allowing himself to be shown out, he will cut in if it gives him an edge. Saying being on the right side allows a defender to use his stronger foot to tackle, why? it is 100% dependant on the attacking player letting him use it, meaning it is irrelevant what side he is on.

A striker running at a centre half, on either side, can obviously go in either direction so 'sided' makes pretty much no difference in real terms minute by minute on the pitch.

Where it does make a difference is where a player has played a certain side for a long period and is used to covering a fullback on his left and knowing his CH partner will cover him in certain situations. This is built up over time and can be changed easily enough.

I get your point, as you never seem to hear this conversation about centre midfielders.

However, I do think it makes a big difference when it comes to centre backs being played on their “preferred” side.
Inside left
Inside right
Midfield has always been like that.

Nope.
You see the game from different angles depending on what position you're playing.

Back