Rob Rensenbrink - 'The Snake Man' RIP

Ronnietheranger

Just heard today that Holland's Rob Rensenbrink passed away on the 24th January aged 72. A brilliant winger nicknamed The Snake Man because of his mazy runs. Came within the width of the post from delivering Holland the World Cup in 1978 when Cruyff stayed home. A brilliant career with Anderlecht including three straight Cup Winners Cup finals with two victories.
Tried to post a video link but failed miserably, however he's an easy google if you're inclined.

First heard about Rensenbrink in the book Beautiful Orange. I’m guessing he’d have been worth around 80-100 mil today.

Rensenbrink ,Cruyf ,Rep the famous front three robbed of the 1974 world cup win by a diving German who fooled jack Taylor the English ref.
rip legend and thank you for the blue print of how to play the game.

Some older Bears may recall that we were heavily linked with him around 71/72 when he played for a club called DWS Amsterdam. I believe they play in an amateur league now.

Last edited:
A great player in a great team. Cruyf, Neeskins, Arie Haan, Johnny Rep, van de Kerkoffs, Krol - names to conjure with.
Don't forget Van Hanegem, another magical left sided player in that team. My Old Man always says he was the closest thing to Baxter he's ever seen, coming from him, that is high praise indeed.

He was a great player in a great team, unfortunately they didn’t manage to win the World Cup in 74 or 78.

The sort of player who reminds you why you fell in love with football in the first place. A natural footballer who made the game look easy as did many in that famous Holland team.

Rensenbrink ,Cruyf ,Rep the famous front three robbed of the 1974 world cup win by a diving German who fooled jack Taylor the English ref.
rip legend and thank you for the blue print of how to play the game.

West Germany had a fantastic side that year as well to be fair. Wasn't like they lost to nobodies.

I'm too young for him, but looks a cracker from the youtube video. Such confidence and vision.

People say that the Brazil 82 side were the best team not to win the World Cup but the Dutch 74 and 78 sides must have run them close. Resembrink was different class.

Great Player in a fantastic national team in the 70’s they were a pleasure to watch, first time I had really seen total football played by every player in a team. We were all Dutch in the school playground lol at least we were Orange

He was the main man in the Dutch side Scotland faced in Argentina, a guy who was runner-up to the mighty Franz Beckenbauer for European Footballer of the Year in 1976.

Back