Robert Prytz memories

First thing that always comes to mind when I hear his name is his free-kick goal up at Shittodrie when we got horsed 5-1. I was only a boy in the beach end with my auld man, an absolute horror show with McDougall scoring two identical back post headers.

Prytz goal around 21:30, I'd avoid the rest of it.

Probably best just to tell us he scored in that game rather than post a sheep glory game.

Last edited:
He still lives in Scotland I think. He was on swedish telly a couple of years ago as a pundit for an OF game. Seemed to have forgotten how to speak swedish almost. And he wasn’t hiding that he’s bear.

His missus was from here. A hairdresser I think.

That's how he'd have kept on to his goldilocks.

Aberdeen had 4 really good players in Leighton, Eck, Miller and Strachan. The rest were SPL players: Rougvie, Weir, Black, Hewitt?

Dundee Utd were a team greater than the sum of their parts. Bannon was a player, Sturrock scored a barrow-load but were they really blessed with better players: Hegarty, McAlpine, Milne? I’d say no.

Our greatest ever Ranger just wasn’t a very good manager.

More than a little harsh.

Peter Weir and Eric Black were very very good players. Black in particular looked a potential great. Neale Cooper was a other star for them. They were a great team with a great manager.

You failed to mention Dundee U's greatest ever player in David Narey and of course Richard Gough.

A look at the European records of both sides tells you how good they were.

In fact the only thing you got right was John Greig.

Great player for Uerdingen in Germany afterwards, was sold for lots of money to Bergamo before he came back to Scotland (Kilmarnock) in 96.
Played for a few trams in between Atalanta and Killie and done well notably Verona but also Malmo again and young boys. Ended up after Killie at East Fife, Dumbarton and Cpwdenbeath.

He still lives in Scotland I think. He was on swedish telly a couple of years ago as a pundit for an OF game. Seemed to have forgotten how to speak swedish almost. And he wasn’t hiding that he’s bear.
Lives in Sweden has done for about 10 years now and has remembered how to speak.

As a previous poster said, a midfield of Bett, Prytz,Russell and Cooper should've been more than a match for any in this country. We also had Derek Johnstone, albeit in decline and Ian Redford, never a favourite of mine but who'd go in to do very well for Dundee Utd under Jim McLean.

What we didn't have was a decent keeper, a competent defence or a manager.

He scored direct from a corner at the scumhut.

2-1 up and he had a 25 yarder come down off the underside of the bar.
We went on to lose 3-2 right at the death.....one of many horrible days at that time.

Was at that game sick as a pig made worse by a guy I knew who was in the jungle near the corner who said that shot was over the line.
I remember quite a lot of Prytz he was a very good player , from first game of the season away to Motherwell when the fans spilled onto the track before the game because of overcrowding .
We should have done better with that side but Aberdeen and DU were getting to Euro finals and semis they were very good sides and I thought we lacked defensively and up front to compete.

I was speaking to a Swedish guy a few months back and he brought up Prytz, says he's a bit fond of the don revie and makes a living in house removals. He said he saw this on a Swedish documentary, Prytz also mentioned any time he returns to Scotland he doesn't have to put his hands in his pocket.

I liked Prytz, I always thought he was the right player at the wrong time.

I believe the polite way is to say that he has a terrible thirst!

I played against him a couple of times. His delivery from corner kicks (with either foot) was tremendous - the best I’ve ever tried to defend.

More than a little harsh.

Peter Weir and Eric Black were very very good players. Black in particular looked a potential great. Neale Cooper was a other star for them. They were a great team with a great manager.

You failed to mention Dundee U's greatest ever player in David Narey and of course Richard Gough.

A look at the European records of both sides tells you how good they were.

In fact the only thing you got right was John Greig.

i’ll Give you Narey. But Gough was just breaking through at right-back in 82.

As for Black, Weir and Cooper: How many Scotland caps did they win? Their boss was Scotland’s assistant manager and with the exception of Souness and Daglish it wasn’t exactly a national team brimming with quality.

I maintain we had the players to challenge them. Our record in cup competitions supports this, we just couldn’t do it consistently and JG binning Sandy, Jaws, Doddie and Jackson in short order was a huge mistake.

I don’t think it’s a question of right or wrong, just different opinions.

Aberdeen had 4 really good players in Leighton, Eck, Miller and Strachan. The rest were SPL players: Rougvie, Weir, Black, Hewitt?

Dundee Utd were a team greater than the sum of their parts. Bannon was a player, Sturrock scored a barrow-load but were they really blessed with better players: Hegarty, McAlpine, Milne? I’d say no.

Our greatest ever Ranger just wasn’t a very good manager.

aberdeen managed to beat real madrid in a european final and dundee united reached the european cup semi and uefa final

these were quality teams managed by quality managers

My memory of him, is sitting on a plane from Copenhagen with him and his girlfriend, she cried the whole way to Glasgow,,, he had played for Sweden the night before and had been the man of the match in a 3-0win over Denmark

aberdeen managed to beat real madrid in a european final and dundee united reached the european cup semi and uefa final

these were quality teams managed by quality managers

I’m not denying their quality. My original point was that we had a better squad of players than our achievements suggest and that under JG we should have done much better.

hmmm

nicky walker, craig paterson and ally dawson?

i'm not buying it

Didn’t Wallace bring Walker from Motherwell - might be wrong.

Jim Stewart when he first arrived, was surely as good as McAlpine or Latchford / Bonner, perhaps not Leighton.

Jardine until summer 1982

Bett, Prytz, Russell.

A fit and motivated Cooper and Johnstone

The return of Willie Johnston.

We paid a fair chunk of money for Redford, Paterson, McAdam, Igor and McLelland. JG was given enough funds, but I concede that is a separate argument.

Ally Dawson told me once he was way before his time in the way he tried to play the game in Scotland.

He said he was a very gifted midfielder.

To me, United were good because of McLean. A top manager who had his tactics well beyond their years. Due to this, the team as a unit were way beyond the individual players. They did have Narey & Malpas especially who were good.
As much as we hate Dundee Hivs,what Jim McLean achieved there was nothing short of remarkable.They were a brilliant team,he built them up from absolutely nothing,won the league,a European Cup semi final where they were cheated out of a place in the final to meet Liverpool and a UEFA Cup Final too.
They had some amazing players too,they won the league using around 16 players !.

As much as we hate Dundee Hivs,what Jim McLean achieved there was nothing short of remarkable.They were a brilliant team,he built them up from absolutely nothing,won the league,a European Cup semi final where they were cheated out of a place in the final to meet Liverpool and a UEFA Cup Final too.
They had some amazing players too,they won the league using around 16 players !.

Absolutely Delboy.

And I agree on that night in Roma. The authorities just wanted the big club in the final.

My memory of him, is sitting on a plane from Copenhagen with him and his girlfriend, she cried the whole way to Glasgow,,, he had played for Sweden the night before and had been the man of the match in a 3-0win over Denmark
Some goal he scored that night , not sure why he was coming back to Glasgow as he was a Gothenburg player at the time , maybe to see the wifes parents.

Was at that game sick as a pig made worse by a guy I knew who was in the jungle near the corner who said that shot was over the line.
I remember quite a lot of Prytz he was a very good player , from first game of the season away to Motherwell when the fans spilled onto the track before the game because of overcrowding .
We should have done better with that side but Aberdeen and DU were getting to Euro finals and semis they were very good sides and I thought we lacked defensively and up front to compete.
Did he not hit a similar shot in Cologne which was over the line and not given? Might not have made much difference on the night but made a big difference to me as I had to wait another 13 years to see Rangers score away in Europe :mad:

He was an excellent player. It was simply his misfortune to be playing for us at a time when power had momentarily switched to Scotland's north east.

I had the pleasure of meeting Robert and his family, in their own home, on a number of occasions, on business, and he really is a lovely gentleman with a lovely family.

As I said, I think he just found himself with us at perhaps the wrong moment in time. Nobody earns 56 caps for Sweden and is rotten. That's for sure

Last edited:
Tin hat on, but everyone talks about Aberdeen and Dundee United having great team in the early and mid 80s. In the 7 seasons from 79-80 to 85-86, Aberdeen won 3 titles, Celtic won 3 titles and Dundee United 1 title.

Did the vermin have a great team then..?

Tin hat on, but everyone talks about Aberdeen and Dundee United having great team in the early and mid 80s. In the 7 seasons from 79-80 to 85-86, Aberdeen won 3 titles, Celtic won 3 titles and Dundee United 1 title.

Did the vermin have a great team then..?

Dundee United got to the UEFA Cup Final and the European Cup Semi Final.

Aberdeen won the Cup Winners Cup and Super Cup.

I wasn't around, but they must've been decent surely mate?

They were terrific teams, their European results show that and they both win domestic cups and league titles.

I was more asking why we never say the vermin must have been quite good too, as they won as much as anyone, albeit didn't do much in Europe. Rangers were miles behind 3 teams back then, unfortunately, not 2.

i’ll Give you Narey. But Gough was just breaking through at right-back in 82.

As for Black, Weir and Cooper: How many Scotland caps did they win? Their boss was Scotland’s assistant manager and with the exception of Souness and Daglish it wasn’t exactly a national team brimming with quality.

I maintain we had the players to challenge them. Our record in cup competitions supports this, we just couldn’t do it consistently and JG binning Sandy, Jaws, Doddie and Jackson in short order was a huge mistake.

I don’t think it’s a question of right or wrong, just different opinions.
Jaws retired

Strange thing is United had their worst team for probably 8 years when they got to that final. They were definitely in decline by then.

He is the only Serie A player I have seen buying a carry oot in the G101 in Thornliebank.
Heard that Ally Dawson was instructed to look after him, help him settle in when he signed. Dawson then complained to Greig it was costing him a fortune cos Prytz drank like a fish...

I was speaking to a Swedish guy a few months back and he brought up Prytz, says he's now a bit fond of the don revie and makes a living in house removals. He said he saw this on a Swedish documentary, Prytz also mentioned any time he returns to Scotland he doesn't have to put his hands in his pocket.

I liked Prytz, I always thought he was the right player at the wrong time.
Like you I always admired Prytz and and the only time I ever met him was at one of the Rangers Players end of season dances that Terry Butcher introduced when he was our Captain.
I couldn't believe it speaking to him, he was absolutely blotto but it was after the season finished and the players were letting their hair down so no problem there!
To be honest he looked to me like a lot like a lot of professional athletes that have almost zero tolerance to alcohol due to their fitness regime and a couple of spoonfuls of sherry trifle would knock them for six! :)
The fact that he kept playing well into his forties proves that he was an extremely fit guy and loved his football.
I like Robert Prytz....good guy!

Yes he played for Pollok.
Met him in a pub in Shawlands about 15 years ago. Was with a pal of a pal.
Talking away for a while, no idea who he was until came up he was a footballer and he played for rangers. I was like...are you Robert prytz? Seemed like a decent guy....only thing I remember was him saying rangers inter Milan 3-1 game at Ibrox was best atmosphere he ever played in.

did we not sell him for about £100k and a few years later he got sold on again for £1m

We should've done much better, however for whatever reason we had a manager, Greig, who didn't fancy the genius that was Cooper.
I saw Coopers whole career at Ibrox and when he was good, he was unplayable. This would happen every 8/10 games. He was not consistent and sometimes not interested.

Thought he was a good wee player. I'm sure he scored at Pittodrie when we beat them up there for the first time in a good few years. It was the September weekend game and i went down to Blackpool instead of going to the game, bealing i missed it.

Randomly met him when I was on a stag doo last year in Budapest, he was over doing some charity event with high end cars. Bizarrely he had purple hair and flashing trainers on and was going mental jumping about a club. Took us a while to recognise who he was

He scored direct from a corner at the scumhut.

2-1 up and he had a 25 yarder come down off the underside of the bar.
We went on to lose 3-2 right at the death.....one of many horrible days at that time.

A was at that game if that shot had went in it was game over

WATP

Back