Roddy Forsyth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole episode really shines a light on the utter scum that Scottish media is.

They fail to meet even the most basic of human dignity. It's utterly shameful. The rest of the UK, the rest of the world can take a moment to reflect on a human tragedy. In Scotland? Nah. They see it as an opportunity to put the boot in. It's inexplicable.

When even Neil Lennon is showing more grace than you then you're a piece of shit. I hope the club cut all ties with these horrid bastards who have taken delight in speaking ill of someone who passed away only yesterday.

This is despicable. It doesn’t need mentioned, any of the stuff in the OP above, at all. Why on earth a reasoned, cognitively functioning human being would not only think this but write it to be published in a newspaper/online magazine beggars belief.
He needs a strongly worded letter from the club stating he is never welcome inside Ibrox again in any capacity other than as a paying customer. And that although there many not be grounds to ban him from this, allude to the fans feelings towards him were he to do so.

Totally sums up the media in this country. Rangers hating bigoted scum bags. Don't even care for the one's who are writing nice pieces about Fernando, because by the weekend they will be back to their normal Rangers hating bigoted scumbag selfs

Well spoken George. Rarely do I watch the BBC ( I know) but last night they had a programme ( 1st part) about the
decline of the newspaper industry,
particularly the National and the once great ( long time ago) Daily Herald and
Evening Times. I revelled as I watched
them blame everything and anything for their demise except how much the poor quality of their journalists and editors has contributed greatly to their downfall and their eventual ruination.
Just when you think they couldn’t stoop any lower, comes Roddy Forsyth’s despicable ‘article’ on Fernando Ricksen . It’s a true saying
good riddance to Bad rubbish.
I wouldn’t even wipe my backside with their rags for fear of contamination.

I read the article earlier this morning and couldn't believe what I was reading. He does not possess a grain of humanity.

It's the " look at me "Journalists", they'll be and time and place to look a Fernando's colourful Rangers chapters
now's not the time or place...…...
What an inconsiderate, heartless and crass obituary. Seems to me its not really about Fernando but only Forsyth looking for attention: typical Narcissist

Saw that and it was shameful.

The lack of integrity in the Scottish media is astounding. We’ve seen classless clickbait (Mols tears), photographs stepping on fan tributes just to get a better ‘shot’ of Feyenoord management/players, and now inappropriate character assassinations just to make their piece more ‘interesting’.

I’m seeing plenty of Celtic fans calling out Spiers’ article. Sums it up. In death your enemies are no longer enemies, but the gutter press will remain so.
I'm loathed to mention it but You can easily find articles Spiers wrote about Jinky Johnstone after his MND diagnosis, now there was a man with a 'colourful' past with many demons, not once has Spiers ever led or highlighted those flaws in print, he waxes lyrical about him, the man is a fucking stain on journalism and humanity.

Saw that and it was shameful.

The lack of integrity in the Scottish media is astounding. We’ve seen classless clickbait (Mols tears), photographs stepping on fan tributes just to get a better ‘shot’ of Feyenoord management/players, and now inappropriate character assassinations just to make their piece more ‘interesting’.

I’m seeing plenty of Celtic fans calling out Spiers’ article. Sums it up. In death your enemies are no longer enemies, but the gutter press will remain so.

Mate, what Spiers article are you referring to? Thanks

Stop calling them rats, it doesn't do them justice. The are bigots, and the likes of Forsyth is a self loathing one

Keep calling them bigots online and on phone-ins until it becomes second nature. That's how they began with us, let's give some back

I subscribe to The Telegraph, but it does seem to be pro-Catholicism and by extension, anti-Rangers.

I think it's down to the proprietors.

Forsyth and Cochrane have a bit of form for this kind of thing.

Here is the full article:

he minute’s silence which will precede Rangers’ Europa League group stage opener against Feyenoord at Ibrox on Thursday night can – despite good intentions – be categorised as a wholly inappropriate tribute to Fernando Ricksen, the former Ibrox captain, who has died after a six-year struggle with motor neurone disease.

Life was rarely silent when Ricksen was around, certainly not in his playing days and categorically not during his spell with Rangers between 2000 and 2006.

This was the man, after all, who was taken off after 21 minutes of his first appearance at Celtic Park because of his culpability in what ended as a 6-2 defeat, was sent off before half-time on his second appearance at Parkhead and who was the first player in Scotland to be banned on the basis of video evidence, when the TV cameras caught him aim a reverse karate kick at Aberdeen’s Darren Young, before he was later banned for elbowing Derek Riordan of Hibernian.

Ricksen pushed the then Rangers chairman, John McClelland, who was fully clothed, into a swimming pool in Greece before a European tie with Panathinaikos. He won 12 caps with the Dutch international side before being banned after smashing a door on a night out. He tested positively for cocaine when he played with Zenit St Petersburg, where he twice got into fights with the club captain.

On one occasion, in the press room before an Old Firm match at Ibrox, someone asked if it was true that Ricksen had been named after the eponymous Abba song. Came the reply: “Did Abba release a song called ‘Dirty Fouling B------?’ ”

Despite a rap sheet that would have earned respect from the Peaky Blinders, Ricksen’s struggles with personal demons and ultimately with the devastating effects of motor neurone disease earned him heartfelt tributes from both sides of the Old Firm divide on Wednesday. He had forsworn alcohol when he captained Rangers to the 2004-05 Scottish league title and he was an influential figure when Zenit won the Russian championship in 2007.

The onset of MND in 2013 was the transformational factor. Ricksen had been given 18 months to live but treated the prognosis with characteristic defiance, citing the desire to be available for as long as possible to his daughter, Isabella, now eight years old. Despite his painful and obvious deterioration, he appeared regularly at charitable events and raised close to £1 million for MND research and support funds.

He was a regular visitor to the Rangers training ground at Auchenhowie, where his appearance affected Steven Gerrard. “He was still putting up a fight,” the Ibrox manager said. “It’s sad news but he deserves all the tributes that are coming his way.

“He was the type to play with his heart on his sleeve and that was epitomised when he was taken ill in 2013 and given 18 months to live. He fought ever so well and it summed up his character – a warrior on the pitch as well as off it.

“I saw with my own eyes at the training ground the situation he was in and the suffering he was going through. He deteriorated very much in the last six or seven days and was in a lot of pain and was very stressed, so no one likes to hear that news. We send our condolences to his young family.”

Fate and the fixture calendar have decreed that Thursday night’s opposition should be Dutch. Feyenoord are the top seeds in Group G so, if Rangers are to upset the odds, this looks like their best chance. “We are at home for the opener, which could be important. We have the opportunity to get off to a really good, positive start by trying to take all three points,” Gerrard said.

“If we do, it sets us up for game two. We all sat round the canteen at Auchenhowie waiting for the group stage draw and, when it was made, we spoke about it being a tough group with some good teams in it.

“I was confident we could get there, even if it was tough in the qualifiers and it went to the wire. I had to prepare us for Sunday-Thursday over a longer period.

“That’s the reason we have gone for more volume and extra quality in the squad. You’ve seen what’s happened in the last couple of weeks – we’ve lost two players in the same position in Jordan Jones and Ryan Kent, but we have an answer for that now. That’s the reason why, if you have ambition to compete both domestically and in Europe, you need at least two good players in each position.”

It may be, though, that on an emotionally charged evening, Rangers’ best weapon will be to summon the spirit and biting style of the favourite they have just lost.

Can you hear the drums, Fernando?

This is on another level to some of the other shitey comments or pictures that have been around since yesterday. Even Neil Lennon was respectful.

If people from Rangers are looking in, I really am going to think about whether I want to watch a game if people like this are being allowed in beside me. Please do the right thing.

Forsyth is pathetic.

Did he read that back to himself and think: 'I deal in facts'? Imagine writing for a broadsheet and being upstaged by Bill f**kin' Leckie?

Talk about parasitic behaviour. The journalist's (hack's) stock in trade. Disgusting bassas.

You see I can envisage an arc of an article that alludes to a minutes silence being at odds with a man so passionate, driven, dedicated and talented but what I don’t get is the need to dredge up torrid, negative slant and be so crass and insensitive. Hang your fucking head in shame Forsyth. He should be banned once and for all from Ibrox. No more chances.

Living abroad most of the time I have some newspaper subscriptions including the Telegraph which as of now is cancelled. No doubt I'll get a call asking why I cancelled and will make sure I tell them. I wrote to the editor as soon as I read this hit-piece and asked if anyone thought that the article was appropriate less than 24 hours after his passing. Roddy Forsyth should be ashamed of himself and let's hope the family never see this piece of writing excrement.

Here is the full article:

he minute’s silence which will precede Rangers’ Europa League group stage opener against Feyenoord at Ibrox on Thursday night can – despite good intentions – be categorised as a wholly inappropriate tribute to Fernando Ricksen, the former Ibrox captain, who has died after a six-year struggle with motor neurone disease.

Life was rarely silent when Ricksen was around, certainly not in his playing days and categorically not during his spell with Rangers between 2000 and 2006.

This was the man, after all, who was taken off after 21 minutes of his first appearance at Celtic Park because of his culpability in what ended as a 6-2 defeat, was sent off before half-time on his second appearance at Parkhead and who was the first player in Scotland to be banned on the basis of video evidence, when the TV cameras caught him aim a reverse karate kick at Aberdeen’s Darren Young, before he was later banned for elbowing Derek Riordan of Hibernian.

Ricksen pushed the then Rangers chairman, John McClelland, who was fully clothed, into a swimming pool in Greece before a European tie with Panathinaikos. He won 12 caps with the Dutch international side before being banned after smashing a door on a night out. He tested positively for cocaine when he played with Zenit St Petersburg, where he twice got into fights with the club captain.

On one occasion, in the press room before an Old Firm match at Ibrox, someone asked if it was true that Ricksen had been named after the eponymous Abba song. Came the reply: “Did Abba release a song called ‘Dirty Fouling B------?’ ”

Despite a rap sheet that would have earned respect from the Peaky Blinders, Ricksen’s struggles with personal demons and ultimately with the devastating effects of motor neurone disease earned him heartfelt tributes from both sides of the Old Firm divide on Wednesday. He had forsworn alcohol when he captained Rangers to the 2004-05 Scottish league title and he was an influential figure when Zenit won the Russian championship in 2007.

The onset of MND in 2013 was the transformational factor. Ricksen had been given 18 months to live but treated the prognosis with characteristic defiance, citing the desire to be available for as long as possible to his daughter, Isabella, now eight years old. Despite his painful and obvious deterioration, he appeared regularly at charitable events and raised close to £1 million for MND research and support funds.

He was a regular visitor to the Rangers training ground at Auchenhowie, where his appearance affected Steven Gerrard. “He was still putting up a fight,” the Ibrox manager said. “It’s sad news but he deserves all the tributes that are coming his way.

“He was the type to play with his heart on his sleeve and that was epitomised when he was taken ill in 2013 and given 18 months to live. He fought ever so well and it summed up his character – a warrior on the pitch as well as off it.

“I saw with my own eyes at the training ground the situation he was in and the suffering he was going through. He deteriorated very much in the last six or seven days and was in a lot of pain and was very stressed, so no one likes to hear that news. We send our condolences to his young family.”

Fate and the fixture calendar have decreed that Thursday night’s opposition should be Dutch. Feyenoord are the top seeds in Group G so, if Rangers are to upset the odds, this looks like their best chance. “We are at home for the opener, which could be important. We have the opportunity to get off to a really good, positive start by trying to take all three points,” Gerrard said.

“If we do, it sets us up for game two. We all sat round the canteen at Auchenhowie waiting for the group stage draw and, when it was made, we spoke about it being a tough group with some good teams in it.

“I was confident we could get there, even if it was tough in the qualifiers and it went to the wire. I had to prepare us for Sunday-Thursday over a longer period.

“That’s the reason we have gone for more volume and extra quality in the squad. You’ve seen what’s happened in the last couple of weeks – we’ve lost two players in the same position in Jordan Jones and Ryan Kent, but we have an answer for that now. That’s the reason why, if you have ambition to compete both domestically and in Europe, you need at least two good players in each position.”

It may be, though, that on an emotionally charged evening, Rangers’ best weapon will be to summon the spirit and biting style of the favourite they have just lost.

Can you hear the drums, Fernando?
"On one occasion, in the press room before an Old Firm match at Ibrox, someone asked if it was true that Ricksen had been named after the eponymous Abba song. Came the reply: “Did Abba release a song called ‘Dirty Fouling B------?’ "

That "anecdote" and the fact someone thought the day of his death a good day to share it says more about the Scottish sports media than any of us ever could.

Get his picture posted George so we all know what this piece of shit looks like

First in the foreground Infront of Nevin.

Db8yFsYW0AEN2IT.jpg:large

Last edited:
You are a cünt.

The minute’s silence which will precede Rangers’ Europa League group stage opener against Feyenoord at Ibrox on Thursday night can – despite good intentions – be categorised as a wholly inappropriate tribute to Fernando Ricksen, the former Ibrox Captain who has died after a six-year struggle with motor neurone disease.

Fück me. He tries to make amends on the rest of the article. No way should it be linked. But it was already too late. His bitterness oozed from the character assassination above. Disgusting rags. I detest them with every fibre of my being.
What a vile creature,

"On one occasion, in the press room before an Old Firm match at Ibrox, someone asked if it was true that Ricksen had been named after the eponymous Abba song. Came the reply: “Did Abba release a song called ‘Dirty Fouling B------?’ "

That is an outrageously spiteful anecdote to include in an obituary penned on the day of his death.

I mean it truly beggars belief.

That's a tremendous piece Roddy, really well written.

Is that how youd like to be written about should you ever contract that horrendous disease? You of course wont mind that people will bring up every indiscretion or negative aspect of your life, sure your family would love that.

You get whats coming to you, dirty horrible bastard.

As something intended as a tribute piece, that is nothing short of disgusting.

There is something in the Scottish media’s make up where, when the occasion leaves no option but to show even a modicum of human decency, where Rangers are concerned it has to joined with something that shows the club or individual concerned in a bad light.

It’s become so commonplace and widely accepted by the bitter wee men of Scottish society - and largely undefended by our club, it has to be said - that that same media are now trying to outdo each other in how far they can take this.

Their reporting of the death of a man who fought bravely against a horrible illness should be the line in the sand for the club. I hope it is.

This. Rangers should announce today that, unlike Skeletor, Forsyth is banned sine die, from Ibrox. No messing about. Just simply never again allowed through the door.

It's the ongoing attempt to dehumanise the Rangers staff and support. Comments like that about any other player would never get past the editor, or probably even written

Scotland's real sectarian shame
BBC Scotland know exactly what they are doing here, where is the clubs PR/Comms over this?

Even if you accept, as various journalists are pushing today, that an obituary chronicles someone's life realistically, or fairly describes their successes and challenges, this quote has nothing to do with any of that. It's basically a sneering, vile anecdote designed to smear a footballing legacy, with the responsibility for the comment pushed on to an anonymous contributor. It's a pathetic, transparent way of inserting a one eyed, blinkered put down into the narrative under the guise of telling the "whole story". Or if it's meant to be humour, given it was before a game against the east end bigots, I can already hear how the comment was spat out without an ounce of humour.

I'm not remotely surprised that a Scottish journalist is incapable of stepping back enough to gauge the appropriateness of including this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back