Roofe, Aribo or Hagi?

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
If we get one of the big guns in the last 16, I would imagine the midfield would likely be 3 from Davis, Jack, Kamara and Arfield. You can never be sure though, the manager does like having a go no matter the opposition.

But hypothetically, if we do play a Man United or a Roma with our currently injured players all fit, and the midfield 3 came from those 4 players, who would you play as the 3rd forward alongside Kent and Morelos?

Roofe, Aribo, or Hagi?

What a great problem to have!

I originally typed Roofe but deleted it as I realised that was just me typing my default response.

I remembered my conversation from last night about Hagi playing his way into the starting eleven for the piggery (I appreciate it's still a fair bit away).

So Hagi. His form's on the ascendancy and, for me, is becoming harder and harder to bench.

Hagi - big game player and he's earned it

We can always sub him for Roofe (can't believe I'm typing these names) such quality :))

Against a big gun I’d say Aribo as he can keep the ball better than the other 2. Against another team like Antwerp I’d say Hagi. I’m still a bit undecided on where Roofe actually fits in when Morelos is playing. Scored some good goals for us but I think we have better options in the wide areas.

The front three last night would have hurt any team in the competition. Hagi should start in the next round.

If we get one of the big guns in the last 16, I would imagine the midfield would likely be 3 from Davis, Jack, Kamara and Arfield. You can never be sure though, the manager does like having a go no matter the opposition.

But hypothetically, if we do play a Man United or a Roma with our currently injured players all fit, and the midfield 3 came from those 4 players, who would you play as the 3rd forward alongside Kent and Morelos?

Roofe, Aribo, or Hagi?

Aribo, no question.
Roofe has fitness issues lacks a yard of pace.
Hagi, wonderfully talented, technically brilliant but is best(at the moment) as an impact player. Lacks two yards of pace.
You forgot Scott Wight.

When Roofe is fully fit he has to play. He was our main man for a couple of months when we had him fully fit and firing.

If we can get Roofe back to full fitness and with Alfie and Kent hitting form as well we will have a frightening front 3.

Hagi has been terrific recently as well though. It's a fantastic ''problem'' to have.

Horses for courses, but all things being equal it has to be the experience of Roofe

Hagi ahead of Aribo for a forward role. For me Aribo fights with Captain Scotty for an AM role

Aribo for me. On his day he is arguably our best player has a bit of every. Hagi will drop in and out of games, Roofe lacks a wee bit of pace for me.

Kent-Morelos-Hagi seem to be the best combination for a front 3, they seem to be on the same wavelength and their play combines really well.

if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

For me its Hagi. He doesnt deserve to lose his place. That said, i honestly dont care who Gerrard decides to start. You could easily justify all 3.

They are all great options just need to judge it against who we are playing and what that teams strengths and weaknesses are

All have different skill sets, personal preference is Hagi as he has more guile than the other two, which works with with Alfie/Kent.

I said last night that’s the best our front three have played all season (gaffer said the same) so they should get another wee run.

We will have plenty of time to experiment domestically which is great.

The beauty of Hagi is he can put in a sun standard performance but almost always pops up with that little moment of brilliance like the turn and pass yesterday. Got better as the game went on but I’m content with Roofe or Hagi. Having both means Roofe can be managed given his injury history.

As a 3, I think Alfie,Hagi and Kent work better together.
Conversely Roofe and Aribo will be more likely to get a goal themselves than Hagi.

Hagi is the most consistent performer of the 3, and he is well suited to European games.
The argument for Aribo is interesting, he is capable of magic moments, and keeping him as far away from our own goal would help, as he constantly ball watches and causes goals against us.
Roofe had a great spell when fit, and would definitely play a part, probably off the bench I reckon.
Great options.

When Roofe is fully fit he has to play. He was our main man for a couple of months when we had him fully fit and firing.

If we can get Roofe back to full fitness and with Alfie and Kent hitting form as well we will have a frightening front 3.

Hagi has been terrific recently as well though. It's a fantastic ''problem'' to have.
The only thing with roofe is to see the best if him he needs a run of games to get up to speed we saw the benefit if that in November and December i think the next Europa game might come to soon for that so I'd say hagi as he has the shirt at the moment and I'd keep aribo in midfield as he's hitting form right now in that position

If we just made a list of who the ‘best’ front three players at the club were as of right now Roofe would absolutely be on it.

In terms of how a front three functions though, that’s the best we’ve seen all season last night IMO. All three looked comfortable with each other’s movements, pressed well and played off each other well. That has to be the front three going forward at this moment, not to say that there isn’t going to be opportunity for Roofe going forward because there absolutely is, and I expect he will force his way back in before the end of the season, but at this moment in time you have to keep playing Hagi Kent Morelos on their current form.

The only thing with roofe is to see the best if him he needs a run of games to get up to speed we saw the benefit if that in November and December i think the next Europa game might come to soon for that so I'd say hagi as he has the shirt at the moment and I'd keep aribo in midfield as he's hitting form right now in that position

Absolutely mate, he needs 2 or 3 games to get back up to speed. If he's not fully fit then I would have no qualms about playing Hagi who has been excellent recently.

On FF though we are bad at times for forgetting how good players have been when they are out injured and someone else comes in and does well.

Roofe was our main man when we had him fully fit earlier in the season. At that time Kent and Alfie were off the boil as well, if we can get Roofe back to his best and Alfie and Kent hitting form at the right time as well it's a mouthwatering prospect.

I would just play Roofe in the league games to get him up to speed. We should be basing everything around giving The Europa League our best shot now. It's a free hit we have at it, the league is done. We might not have a better chance to really go all out for The Europa. In a normal domestic season every league point would be a prisoner at this stage and you wouldn't have the luxury of resting players in league games.

It's draw dependant.
We won't play Aribo in midfield against the better sides as it leaves us too exposed.
Gerrard identified Antwerp's defensive frailties and picked a team to best exploit that.

Against the big boys we really need Ryan Jack in midfield alongside Davis and Kamara.

I'd play Aribo in a front three in these games.

Hagi. IMO he’s the best player we have at finding space and linking play between the midfield and the forwards.

Roofe has scored us some massive goals this year, turned draws from last year into wins. His movement is phenomenal. It might be because he’s been injured for so long now and then always takes at least 3 games to get his touch back when he returns but when Alfie is in top form like last night I think a front 3 of Kent Alfie hagi/aribo might suit us best. Tough one.

In bigger games Hagi. He works hard, always looks for the ball, very positive and has an eye for a pass/shot. Roofe as good as he is needs carried in-between his big moments in games, which we can’t do at this stage in Europe and I’m still not sure if Aribo is his best in that position.

Some really tough decisions, for me Hagi offers too much in the big games to be dropped but I’m not sure we get away with Hagi and Aribo against the next level of opposition

I would expect Jack to come in for one of them. I’m not sure Roofe starts due to the form of other players

Hagi and Aribo would be in the midfield 3.

I like Roofe but between injuries and poor form I wouldn’t trust him in a big game like that.

The next round is in a fortnight.
Roofe is unlikely to be fit and certainly won’t have had games to get up to speed.

The brilliant thing for me is that over the last few weeks we had gone into grind mode and lost a wee bit of our attacking fluidity.

The last three matches we’ve been scintillating to watch going forward but we do have genuine options.
Let’s see what the draw brings us but I trust the management team to pick the right team. I think they’ve earned that.

What a problem to have!

My first thought was Aribo because he's the best player of the 3. Then I thought Hagi because his work rate is so valuable.

Against a big team though we are likely to sit deeper and play on the counterattack. Would we throw Wright into a big game like that?

Roofe, Aribo, or Hagi?

Hagi can’t be dropped on current form no matter where he plays since he came into the team since arfield got injured he’s been by far our most consistent player

Back