Ross Wilson

We kept literally all our big hitters, so we didn't splash the cash

It was one or the other

Cash isn't there otherwise

So criticism about not improving the first XI is a bit off

Clearly things would've been 'freshened up' if we had the cash from a big sale, or if money grew on trees

That's it.

Our business model which was explained in detail just hasn't been followed to the tee.

We need to sell one big name every summer for £12-15m to fund several Veermans who can step into the first eleven. That simply hasn't happened.

We've got decent depth now though which is a huge improvement. Wright, Roofe, Sakala were decent options to bring off the bench last night. Hagi, Arfield could've been available too. Some quality young players ready to step up too.

The way to freshen things up is to rest some of the tried and tested (undroppables) and use the squad more. Kent's clearly not gonna play his way into form after so many opportunities, Alfie looks a bit jaded, Aribo is hit and miss at times.

Wright - Roofe - Sakala should be our front line for a while, allow Lundstrum to take the burden off Davis, particularly for any mid week games.

Are fans forgetting we spent big last summer? Hagi, Roofe & Itten.

Two of those players will be on big wages.

Simpson & Wright also brought in.

We can't keep spending money we don't have.

The transfer market was very different this summer to normal, for obvious reasons. I don't see any team with the sort of financial resources we have that has been able to say they've taken huge steps forward. It wasn't easy to do, especially with the sort of squad we've built in recent years. This notion of standing still - when so many around you are going backwards, it's not the negative it's made out to be.

Writing off our new signings this summer this early is extremely reactionary. There's not been a player during Gerrard's tenure, new or inherited, who hasn't had criticism for various things, and some still do despite proving themselves numerous times over. It's worth keeping that in mind and being patient.

We've massively overachieved in Europe so it's created something of a false expectation level for games like last night. Hoping for a good result is obviously all fine but expecting it against that level of team is hugely unfair.

We've had far more hits than misses with our transfer activity, hence the league win and big results in Europe in recent seasons.

If you want Rangers to have a buy low, sell high approach but expect new signings to be brilliant from day one you're going to be disappointed constantly. It just doesn't work that way, for obvious reasons.

Until we get some big money in we've hit a bit of a plateau.

And judging our long-term strategy and approach after a slightly slow start to a season which has had all sorts of injury, suspension and other types of disruption on the pitch is a flawed premise to base the argument on.

A long, boring, pretty self-evident rant but I'm honestly astounded at some of the stuff in this thread and among the support in general so far this season.

Gerrard also said he was very excited about this summers window....

Agree with a poster above about the 2 Bournemouth signings. They were both in the reserves for them... truely strange

We needed a game changer in midfield this summer and we didn't get one.

I think the board were planning on selling a Morelos or Kamara if the right bid come in. That never happened but just expected us to add atleast one quality player either way

On top of that Kamara and Goldson not signing new deals yet.... I do wonder if that hasn't helped things aswell

Said it before ever since lundstrum was linked to us I made a point of watching him watched 4/5 games and I wasn’t impressed with him in one.
But, Real Madrid game I saw good things that made me think maybe I was wrong but since apart from a handful of decent passes hasn’t impressed at all.
sakala, hadn’t saw him live just his YouTube video until Madrid game and thought he looks lively,decent link up etc. But now I’m seeing a very raw player who’s reminding me of a ohalloran type very simple and pace that’s it. Hope he proves me wrong but the way it’s looking if lundstrum and him carry on like this they’ll be out on loan in summer.

Our list of top ten transfer fees received still has Trevor Steven in it. Let that sink in.

Rangers have been abject off the field for decades now.

Huge test coming up for Wilson over the next 2 windows. The bulk of the squad is out of contract this summer or next so we need to get players on new deals or get them moved on and replaced.

We need to sell to get money in and refresh the squad.

Value's are dwindling at the moment, contracts are running down and we need to be pro-active on it next summer and move people on.

Are we supposed to force teams to bid for our players? We've knocked back substantial bids for several players. What is Ross Wilson supposed to do about it?

Well he’s the DoF so needs to take a view on extracting maximum value for the club. Knocking back £16m for Morelos was a huge gamble and it’s clear now we will lose Goldson for nothing and Kamara and Morelos will need to go with one year left - assuming they don’t just sit it out.

That lot got £30m for two players with less than a year to go. What will we get? Time will tell.

Folk talk about Lundstrum but Sakala has been very very poor in his competitive games so far and looks well short of quality compared to our starting forwards.

Are we supposed to force teams to bid for our players? We've knocked back substantial bids for several players. What is Ross Wilson supposed to do about it?

That Celtic raked in £30m for Ajer and Edouard is the frustrating part for people and I can completely understand that.

It's all very well people saying "there isn't money out there" and we're watching that mob fund their rebuild off the back of two huge sales.

I don't believe either of them or Frimpong who they punted in January for a decent wedge are any better than our main assets and we are unable for whatever reason to get the money we want for ours.

Last edited:
Well he’s the DoF so needs to take a view on extracting maximum value for the club. Knocking back £16m for Morelos was a huge gamble and it’s clear now we will lose Goldson for nothing and Kamara and Morelos will need to go with one year left - assuming they don’t just sit it out.

That lot got £30m for two players with less than a year to go. What will we get? Time will tell.
You'd have sold Alfie for £16m?

How would you maximise value on Kent and Kamara?

Vidmar, I've always kept an eye out for your posts as I've gathered you have a fairly decent line into the club.

However, I've noticed that you only really post with any regularity when we've had a bad result.

Is your man on the scene at odds with some of the board?

My gut feeling right now is that we'll be replacing more than just playing staff next summer.

If Gerrard delivers the league this season, does anyone really see him hanging about for another rebuild of a few years ?

Maybe we'll get decent money compensation wise for him and his staff but then you're looking to chuck money at his replacement as well.

This thread reminds me of my marriage when things were really tight and we were struggling to get by and I went to the shop for necessities and my arsehole ex moaned because I hadn’t bought luxury goods with the money we didn’t have.

Perhaps extracting maximum value for The Club is knocking back inadequate offers?

Our transfer plans this season relied on one of two things:

1. we sell one of our main assets for large amount
2. We qualify for the champions league

neither happened so we’ve had to shop in the discount stores. Our team is at the point that, unless you’re really lucky, free transfers aren’t going to improve the first 11.

I don’t think we can blame Ross Wilson for that. This year is all about winning the league. We do that, and also cash in on a player, then suddenly we’re shopping in a completely different market.

I’m typing this slowly so that those in dreamworld can let it sink in.
We didn’t get the financial input that would have funded the buying of players to compete with Lyon.
The target for this season is to win the league where CL money might help us do that.
Most of us, most of the realists, believed getting to the CL groups was a big ask.
As for your expert critique of Sakala and Lundstram, perhaps waiting till the league settles down a bit would be in order.

Big ask beating Malmö? Away for a lie down son

Vidmar, I've always kept an eye out for your posts as I've gathered you have a fairly decent line into the club.

However, I've noticed that you only really post with any regularity when we've had a bad result.

Is your man on the scene at odds with some of the board?

Life’s easy when it’s going well!

Im getting older and grumpier but as I said in another thread, wealthy Bears have multi-millions of their own cash invested and I can’t see why they aren’t taking more of a grip of daily ops. Maybe time just doesn’t allow with other commitments in the Far East (for example) but I’m fairly sure there’s a mild split in the Boardroom, and I reckon the Morelos bid was the catalyst for that.

Gerrard has got what he’s asked for up till now (correctly, in my view) but there’s an obvious tightening going on and I’m yet to see Wilson step up to the plate. I hope he does, of course, but the Goldson issue seems like a basic error, to me, and presumably to the loaded fund managers ploughing in cash!

Then we’ve got the dreadful comms, ticketing shambles, Castore nonsense, PR OGs, picking fights (we don’t finish) with all and sundry…. again if I had a big percentage, I’d be in there cracking skulls.

Perhaps extracting maximum value for The Club is knocking back inadequate offers?

We knocked back £16m for Alfie with three years left on his deal
We knocked back £10m for Alfie with two years left on his deal.

How much are looking at next summer with one year left on his deal ? Is £10m next year better next year than £10m this year ?

Everyone else is getting it in the neck, so why not?…

But, seriously, would you say our recruitment was better before or after Wilson arrived?

It feels like we’ve been treading water for a few windows now, and we seem to have regressed this season, despite keeping our squad intact.

The promise was quality over quantity, but there is very little evidence of this so far.
Spot on, at last our fans are starting to see through this little weasel. Comes on every few months tries to steal credit from what others have done, throws a few big words in there and then does very little to justify his substantial wage package. He’s not moving players on, not attracting the right bids, not negotiating properly with those bids that do come in. What are his successes since joining , that he was 100% responsible for?

Its not like FM where you sit about and wait for offers though, is it?

Sometimes you actively need to look for sellers and encourage them. That doesn’t mean firing a big “for sale” sign on anyones head. But using agents and football persons to your benefit.

This team needs a big sale in order to progress.

Sometimes you actively need to look for sellers and encourage them. That doesn’t mean firing a big “for sale” sign on anyones head. But using agents and football persons to your benefit.

But that only works if teams actually make a bid that is acceptable.

What bids have we received that we should have accepted?

We knocked back £16m for Alfie with three years left on his deal
We knocked back £10m for Alfie with two years left on his deal.

How much are looking at next summer with one year left on his deal ? Is £10m next year better next year than £10m this year ?
If he helps us win the league the next 2 seasons, gets us entry to the UCL then losing him for nothing then is better than £10m, yes.

But that only works if teams actually make a bid that is acceptable.

What bids have we received that we should have accepted?
Yeah, thats why I said you need to encourage bids.

There is no chance nobody enquired for Morelos, Kamara, Kent etc. Don’t buy that for a second, and even at that there is still ways to encourage suitors.

It’s selling that’s still the problem and causing us problems in freshening the squad.
I appreciate covid hit the transfer market but Celtic turned over ajer and edouard. As good as they have been for us we still have goldson and kamara still to commit to new deals, interest in Morelos being non existent and getting to a point in time where barasics value is going to drop

Yeah, thats why I said you need to encourage bids.

There is no chance nobody enquired for Morelos, Kamara, Kent etc. Don’t buy that for a second, and even at that there is still ways to encourage suitors.
Of course clubs enquired. We just didn't receive acceptable bids.

I agree, I certainly think we need to freshen things up and I’ve said that in here previously. But who would you sell and how would you replace them?

For example, would you sell Kamara for £10m and spend all of that to replace him leaving us in much the same place financially?

If he helps us win the league the next 2 seasons, gets us entry to the UCL then losing him for nothing then is better than £10m, yes.

But you're then trying to replace him(and others) with less money.

We've got 6 big players with a year left on their deal next summer. We've got another 5 veterans out of contract and then you chuck in Goldson who we have virtually invited to take a Bosman next summer.

That's 12 players possibly to replace next summer with potentially £30m CL money. We'll still have a financial deficit to plug as well.

Does anyone see Aribo, Kent, Kamara, Helander or Morelos signing a new deal ? The 6th is Ryan Jack, a talented player who has missed over 40% of matches since his arrival 4 years ago. Do we gamble on his fitness again with a new deal ?

I agree, I certainly think we need to freshen things up and I’ve said that in here previously. But who would you sell and how would you replace them?

For example, would you sell Kamara for £10m and spend all of that to replace him leaving us in much the same place financially?
I think the club have got to trust the recruitment team they employ to be able to spend at least 50-60% of that money wisely.

He will have his work cut out soon enough as this side is fast approaching the end of its shelf life, and a major revamp will be on the cards soon.
It isn’t beyond the realms of possibilities that it could be almost an entire team needing replaced, because at the end of this season
McGregor and Davis retiring (Potentially)
Goldson kamara Arfield Defoe,Balogun,Barker end of contract
Barisic,Morelos,Kent,Helander,Aribo Mclauchlin one year left

For what its worth I don’t think for a minute every player will leave, but it will need sorting.which won’t be cheap hence why winning this title has to be a priority from here on in

But you're then trying to replace him(and others) with less money.

We've got 6 big players with a year left on their deal next summer. We've got another 5 veterans out of contract and then you chuck in Goldson who we have virtually invited to take a Bosman next summer.

That's 12 players possibly to replace next summer with potentially £30m CL money. We'll still have a financial deficit to plug as well.

Does anyone see Aribo, Kent, Kamara, Helander or Morelos signing a new deal ? The 6th is Ryan Jack, a talented player who has missed over 40% of matches since his arrival 4 years ago. Do we gamble on his fitness again with a new deal ?
At some point we need to sell and replace with ‘less money’. The fact is that we need to generate income that remains within The Club.

We have also ‘invited’ Connor Goldson to extend his stay, he’s rejected that invitation thus far, what do you expect us to do? The same can be said of Kamara as confirmed by The Club and I’m 100% sure there has been discussions with others.

Whether these players sign new contracts remains to be seen, in some cases I hope they do. As for Ryan Jack, personally I’d be very wary at the moment.

Aye but did they though? Don’t believe the Tim propaganda we get fed up here. That’s all I’m saying

At some point we need to sell and replace with ‘less money’. The fact is that we need to generate income that remains within The Club.

We have also ‘invited’ Connor Goldson to extend his stay, he’s rejected that invitation thus far, what do you expect us to do? The same can be said of Kamara as confirmed by The Club and I’m 100% sure there has been discussions with others.

Whether these players sign new contracts remains to be seen, in some cases I hope they do. As for Ryan Jack, personally I’d be very wary at the moment.

Easy to say I know but Goldson had to be given a deadline or we'd have to look to move him on. Even getting £5/6m for him would've allowed us to replace him long term. I know we were looking at Okumu who went to Belgium for £3m in the summer. I'd wager he's now out of our price range when Gent sell him.

By getting the message out there that we'd rather have Goldson because of his importance and let him walk for nothing than take a fee for him we have now IMO set a precedence for the rest of players who have 2 years or less left.

Why shouldn't Kamara, Alfie, Kent etc turn around to the club and say they're every bit as important as Goldson and they'll just do likewise ?

There had to be a line where we said to Goldson thanks for everything you've done here but if you won't commit then we need look elsewhere

Really?

Pound for pound, I’d say the Gerrard signings before Wilson compared to after Wilson have given us so much better value for money.
What do you mean by the Gerrard signings? Surely the scouting network led by Andy Scoulding identifies a whole list of potential signings and takes them to Ross Wilson and before him Mark Allan and then Gerrard chooses from there.

What do you mean by the Gerrard signings? Surely the scouting network led by Andy Scoulding identifies a whole list of potential signings and takes them to Ross Wilson and before him Mark Allan and then Gerrard chooses from there.
Mark Allan?

Easy to say I know but Goldson had to be given a deadline or we'd have to look to move him on. Even getting £5/6m for him would've allowed us to replace him long term. I know we were looking at Okumu who went to Belgium for £3m in the summer. I'd wager he's now out of our price range when Gent sell him.

By getting the message out there that we'd rather have Goldson because of his importance and let him walk for nothing than take a fee for him we have now IMO set a precedence for the rest of players who have 2 years or less left.

Why shouldn't Kamara, Alfie, Kent etc turn around to the club and say they're every bit as important as Goldson and they'll just do likewise ?

There had to be a line where we said to Goldson thanks for everything you've done here but if you won't commit then we need look elsewhere
Move him on to who? Where Goldson is concerned it’s really, really, simple. There’s no interest in him.

It’s their prerogative to do likewise, that’s football. Kamara, for example, has been offered everything he asked for, to the extent his own advisers are telling him to sign the deal.

Move him on to who? Where Goldson is concerned it’s really, really, simple. There’s no interest in him.

It’s their prerogative to do likewise, that’s football. Kamara, for example, has been offered everything he asked for, to the extent his own advisers are telling him to sign the deal.

So if there's no interest in him, where does he go next summer ?

Back