Ryan Jack progress - any updates?

Even at 60% availability, Ryan Jack is key to our squad.

Excellent signing and a key player.
I'm a little bit dubious about Jack for that same same reason, he needs a full half season now or its cheerio in January imo. Seems to have the curse of being injury prone.

Last edited:
I have no info whatsoever but if he doesn’t start training soon I don’t think we’ll see him until late September at the earliest.

I’m not really a negative person but am quite worried about jack. Just noticed someone above saying he needs to be sorted soon or we get rid in Jan. I agree with that
Nice.
The guy has had an op and will no doubt be building up his muscle and fitness.
Jack will be a major player for us this season. Hopefully will be rewarded for his hard work and loyalty with another league winners medal and not cast aside on the scrap heap like some on here would do.

Even at 60% availability, Ryan Jack is key to our squad.

Excellent signing and a key player.
He’s my favourite player, I was wanting us to sign him back in 2014. He’s our best midfielder in Europe, I’m confident he’ll recover fine.

He’s a bear, it must be breaking his heart he missed a lot of games last season.

He’s an excellent 8 too, but our defensive stats with him are ridiculous.

Last edited:
He’s my favourite player, I was wanting us to sign him back in 2014. He’s our best midfielder in Europe, I’m confident he’ll recover fine.

He’s a bear, it must be breaking his heart he missed a lot of games last season.

He’s an excellent 8 too, but our defensive stats with him are ridiculous.

Absolutely.

There is a very good reason that you do not lose games when Jack and Helander play.

The balance they bring is excellent.

He’ll be back, stronger than ever.

Nice.
Jack will be a major player for us this season. Hopefully will be rewarded for his hard work and loyalty with another league winners medal and not cast aside on the scrap heap like some on here would do.
How long do you think we persevere with him then?

He needs to bin Scotland if he has any commitment to prolonging his Rangers career.
Jack has barely played for Scotland over the past 12 months, it's playing at Rangers that's the main problem - and there is clearly a problem with his recurring injury, sadly.

Of course, you probably don't want want any Rangers players ever playing for Scotland, even though it might develop their talent and sell on value??

Love Ryan Jack and so does Gerrard, he’ll be going nowhere. If we can improve the midfield again (veerman) then we won’t be short of options if he picks up injuries now and then. Fancy Jack for 30plus games this season.

The important thing is to get him 100% fit however long it takes, a fully fit and firing Ryan Jack is a first pick, my concern will come if he breaks down again.

The update is hes going to be replaced by John Lundstram.

Ryan Jack is a wonderful player but he just cannot stay fit or even close enough to play consistently and Rangers cannot keep hoping that itll all sort itself out. At 29 after years of problems you dont suddenly become injury free, if anything itll become harder to avoid repeats as the niggles build up over time.

Best we could hope for is to use him sparingly or as cover but thats an expensive option and given his track record theres abs no guarantee hed even manage that.

Gerrard spoke about not being able to carry passengers as a reference to those not pulling their weight in games. Reluctantly Id suggest that also applies to those trying their best but unable to make themselves available to play enough for Rangers.

Passed me on Tuesday looking fit healthy and well. Bothwell’s own will be back in no time,
Bossing games once again.

mates wee brother is a delivery driver for Doninos and covers bothwell and felt the need to tell me his brother was delivering to the Jack household for the second time this week last night.

hopefully his family loves a Dominos and Jacko is on the road to recovery as he is a key player for me

Nice.
I’m with you. Absolutely baffled by this “he’s had a couple of bad years with injury so he needs to go“ approach.

Do any of us think Rangers 92/93 weren’t better off for having Ian Durrant in the squad, albeit used only sparingly? Because he wasn‘t fit a lot of the time, and had missed years due to the injury, would we rather we didn’t have him in the side when he was fit?

Pretty sure I recall Gerrard saying in the immediate aftermath of Jack's operation, that they'd finally found the root of the problem, op had gone well and he'd be back by September if there were no further complications. Obviously then needs his own pre-season and gradually reintegrated into the team. Doubt we'll see much of him this calendar year.

A fully fit Ryan Jack is worth more than any new signing imo. It's obvious Gerrard loves him as much as we do but more importantly he trusts him implicitly.

It takes time for players to get accustomed to our style of play, not to mention the league. Patience will be needed with all the new signings. Even guys like Itten are still getting used to what it is to play for us.

The majority of the players have been together for 2 or 3 years/pre-seasons so know our pattern of play well.

Really hope Ryan can stay fully fit as the balance he brings to the team us incredible.

When Aberdeen played Celtic in the cup final after it was known we were signing him i watched him closely that day, he done nothing spectacular but his reading of the game and his knack of being in exactly the right place all the time was an eye openet I really hope he gets and stays fit he is a super player and will always be in the first 11.

Nice.
Well said.
I agree he should not be dumped. I would love him to be major player for us this season. But it is a fact of life that players who don't get a full preseason under their belts do not achieve their full potential over the season when they join the squad, particularly when they come back from a major operation. He is part of our team and believe he will contribute to our success this season but this "major player for us" is maybe a bit over optimistic. I hope I am wrong and you are right.

ok speculation and guessing on my part but a fit Ryan Jack would of had us beating the racist scumbags and probably getting knocked out by Arsenal last season.

How long do you think we persevere with him then?
He’s got two years left on deal, monetary value we wouldn’t get much for him due to the injuries. Let him see out the two years and evaluate at end of it. He will be 31/32 by then. If he’s been consistently playing? Sure new deal, if not, time to part ways.

Decent when fit, that’s the issue. Signs there now that midfield is being upgraded and extra quality is incoming

He’s got two years left on deal, monetary value we wouldn’t get much for him due to the injuries. Let him see out the two years and evaluate at end of it. He will be 31/32 by then. If he’s been consistently playing? Sure new deal, if not, time to part ways.

Decent when fit, that’s the issue. Signs there now that midfield is being upgraded and extra quality is incoming
You've never rated him. Even when fit, playing well with Gerrard raving about him.

I'm sure I remember you describing him as the 'woeful Jack'.

Seems strange for a player who is widely revered by the manager and most fans.

Jack has barely played for Scotland over the past 12 months, it's playing at Rangers that's the main problem - and there is clearly a problem with his recurring injury, sadly.

Of course, you probably don't want want any Rangers players ever playing for Scotland, even though it might develop their talent and sell on value??

SG himself has stated that RJ had a problem that ‘needs managed’.

Clarke has him doing double sessions.

The best indicator of future expectation is past experience. and it’s evident RJ only has a career best of 34 league apps in one season (for Aberdeen). Only once in 4 seasons has he hit 30 for Rangers, all other 3 have been less than 20.

And he’s one year older, 30 in Feb.

If he only has the capacity for a set number of games per season, so be it.

But he needs to decide who they are with.

Last edited:
I’m not really a negative person but am quite worried about jack. Just noticed someone above saying he needs to be sorted soon or we get rid in Jan. I agree with that
That wont happen, but if its a season full of injuries then i would release him/ sell next season.
Think he must have at least 2 years left on his contract.
Good player and Rangers man but it wont be renewed unless he is free of the past injuries.

Ryan Jack is a wonderful player but he just cannot stay fit or even close enough to play consistently and Rangers cannot keep hoping that itll all sort itself out. At 29 after years of problems you dont suddenly become injury free, if anything itll become harder to avoid repeats as the niggles build up over time.

Best we could hope for is to use him sparingly or as cover but thats an expensive option and given his track record theres abs no guarantee hed even manage that.

Gerrard spoke about not being able to carry passengers as a reference to those not pulling their weight in games. Reluctantly Id suggest that also applies to those trying their best but unable to make themselves available to play enough for Rangers.
Your update is wrong.

There's not a bigger fan of Ryan Jack on the planet than Steven Gerrard.

He's went through an operation in order to put his reccurring injury problems behind him. He's still getting up to speed with the rehab before he can rejoin full training again.

There's yer update.

Last edited:
He's going nowhere.

Whether you rate him or not, no club is going to make it worth our while by shelling out a decent fee for a guy who has missed 40% of matches in 4 years at Ibrox.

He really needs to can the Scotland stuff. Especially if that dinosaur remains in charge.

How do you work that out mate?

He's had an operation to clear up a long term injury problem.
He will be given time to make a full recovery and allow the operation to have been a success.

That's a perfectly normal procedure within sport.

We all just need to be patient for a few weeks.
Im more than happy to be wrong but I don’t think we’ll see much of him.

Of our top midfielders, Jack is the one most under threat from Lundstram IMO
Given he is generally missing for around 1/3 of a season with us and we are reinforcing his position he could soon enough find himself a bit part player which is harsh on him, the gaffer obviously loves him, but IMO you need to have confidence a player will be playing when needed, and we just can't possibly have that with Jack.

Of our top midfielders, Jack is the one most under threat from Lundstram IMO
Given he is generally missing for around 1/3 of a season with us and we are reinforcing his position he could soon enough find himself a bit part player which is harsh on him, the gaffer obviously loves him, but IMO you need to have confidence a player will be playing when needed, and we just can't possibly have that with Jack.
Don’t see it that way tbh mate RJ isn’t under threat from signings , he simply has to recover from his surgery which they are confident resolves his calf problem .
There’s nothing more to it , unless that recovery fails for any reason and there is nothing available to say that is the prognosis .

I do agree with posters saying re Scotland I think he would be best served to take a sabbatical from Internationals until he re-proves himself . If it’s good enough for Petrie then it’s good enough for all .

Don’t see it that way tbh mate RJ isn’t under threat from signings , he simply has to recover from his surgery which they are confident resolves his calf problem .
There’s nothing more to it , unless that recovery fails for any reason and there is nothing available to say that is the prognosis .

I do agree with posters saying re Scotland I think he would be best served to take a sabbatical from Internationals until he re-proves himself . If it’s good enough for Petrie then it’s good enough for all .
Simply meant, going from what I've seen of Lundstram he is box to box, likes a tackle and full of energy. Out of the trio of Davis, Kamara and Jack I know which one he sounds more like.

Is this insider info or just your own opinion because it smells like sh!te to me - not a chance Gerrard meant Ryan Jack when he mentioned we can't carry passengers.

Jack is the best defensive midfielder we have.
He is the key that locks the defensive door.
He gives us a solidity that allows us to be more attacking down the flanks.
He understands the shape of the team and how we play better than anyone and he is prepared to do all the unseen dirty work that gives others a platform to play.
He doesn't give the ball away and understands the idea of possession.
He limits the scope of his own game perfectly to his own technical capacity.
Gerrard has moulded him into the perfect European midfielder.
Gerrard trusts him and Ryan takes that trust onto the field of play in every match.

Haste ye back son, you are well missed.

Back