Sakala must be raging

Sakala looked broken when he came off. He had to walk all the way round and he looked a sorry figure, boy was devastated not to be staying on for the penalty kicks.

I actually said to my son that Sakala should be hooked a few minutes before he was.

The reason being he doesn't seem to have the football intelligence required at this level. Every game he plays he runs about headless. He never seems to have a plan in his head - just run / get rid of the ball.

My comment was along the lines of "Geo needs to hook Sakala off the pitch and tell him that he'll stay on the bench for future games until he starts to show he's learning from his mistakes."

The sands substitution is like taking lsd on crack whilst injecting vodka into you spine....
The Sands substitution that actually went a long way to us having control of the game for the first time you mean? It allowed us to move to a back three, move Tav and Borna further forward and narrow the midfield three of Davis, Lundstram and Arfield to give us control of an area we’d really, really struggled in up to that point.

I‘d argue it should maybe have been made earlier.

The Sands substitution that actually went a long way to us having control of the game for the first time you mean? It allowed us to move to a back three, move Tav and Borna further forward and narrow the midfield three of Davis, Lundstram and Arfield to give us control of an area we’d really, really struggled in up to that point.

Not for the outcome I wanted. We had other options. Preference is attack in a final. Frankfurt knew the dangers of our team and nullified it. Needed a we bit of a surprise element.

Not for the outcome I wanted. We had other options. Preference is attack in a final. Frankfurt knew the dangers of our team and nullified it. Needed a we bit of a surprise element.
Given Roofe was clearly incapable of more than a 5 minute cameo and a penalty, given the huge amount of strapping on his leg and the reports of his struggling to kick the ball in the warm-up, the attacking options were probably Diallo or Lowry. Arguably Ramsey, and I do agree he should have been on at least 5 minutes before he was, simply to get a feel for the game before the penalties.

For me, the change in shape restored order to our midfield for the first time in the match (Davis earlier introduction helped with that as well). We were bereft of real options up top without Morelos and Roofe.

Given Roofe was clearly incapable of more than a 5 minute cameo and a penalty, given the huge amount of strapping on his leg and the reports of his struggling to kick the ball in the warm-up, the attacking options were probably Diallo or Lowry. Arguably Ramsey, and I do agree he should have been on at least 5 minutes before he was, simply to get a feel for the game before the penalties.

For me, the change in shape restored order to our midfield for the first time in the match (Davis earlier introduction helped with that as well). We were bereft of real options up top without Morelos and Roofe

For me, the change in shape restored order to our midfield for the first time in the match (Davis earlier introduction helped with that as well). We were bereft of real options up top without Morelos and Roofe.
Fair point. Morelos is the sorest thing. I'd prefer to eat wasps than have him injured for the final of any game.

I was of that mind until I discovered Lundstram has taken three penalties in his professional career. He missed two of them.:eek:

Ramsey had scored seven out of eight. The best ratio in our squad.
I doubt any of those 7 he scored came after only being on the pitch for a few minutes.
Players coming on cold (I know it was Africa hot in the stadium) to take a penalty is a huge gamble.

I doubt any of those 7 he scored came after only being on the pitch for a few minutes.
Players coming on cold (I know it was Africa hot in the stadium) to take a penalty is a huge gamble.
Which I’ve acknowledged in post #216 mate. If that was the plan, even just 5 minutes earlier would have been better.

Sorry if I'm supposed to have read every one of your posts after the one I quoted. :rolleyes:
Wow. You’ve clearly taken my post out of context. I wasn’t having a dig at you, simply acknowledging I agreed as it happens.

And the post in which I did so was only three after the one you quoted, so we’re not talking War and Peace here ha ha.

Wow. You’ve clearly taken my post out of context. I wasn’t having a dig at you, simply acknowledging I agreed as it happens.

And the post in which I did so was only three after the one you quoted, so we’re not talking War and Peace here ha ha.
Give it a rest then. I made a simple point with no intended malice and you expect me to
be up to date with all your posts.

Give it a rest then. I made a simple point with no intended malice and you expect me to
be up to date with all your posts.
You seem keen to turn this into some sort of a barney. For no reason whatsoever. Christ, I even worded my response - which was agreeing with you - in a friendly manner and you jumped down my throat.

Grow up (even at 66).

I assume most people haven't bothered to watch Gios post match press conference.

Borna Barisic was supposed to take a penalty. He got an injury and had to go off (confirmed as he is out tomorrow's game).

I can only assume one of Ramsey or Roofe were not a planned penalty taker within the first 5.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing when it comes to penalty kicks. I felt confident having converted our first 3 with Ramsey and Roofe on the last penalties

The top players in the world miss big penalties under pressure. A few of EF’s penalties were a fraction from being saved or hitting the post, it is fine margins

My biggest regret is we did not Get Roofe on earlier and have a go at them.
Sakala was really poor when he came in, couldn’t take any balls in, kept losing possession and rarely played a pass to a Rangers player

I felt Ramsey was a good sub to make with pens looming, experience and big player but unfortunately in the lottery of pens sometimes you miss and that’s what happened

Roofe must not have been fit at all. No way he only gets 5mins if he’s fit. On the park 5 mins and he makes that run in behind to set up Kent chance. Just makes you wonder what difference it would have made if we weren’t so unlucky with injuries for the final

Ramsey missed a penalty in the FA Cup Final before apparently.

Can't really understand the likes of Kent and Lundstram not wanting to hit one.

I'm going against the grain here. Id have Sakala on the pitch before Wright. Things happen when he's on the pitch.

Big part of us being in the final tomorrow is because of him. He'll win us the cup tomorrow.

Reactions: CF4

Seen so many comments about the Sands substitution, and you've hit the nail on the head. It was Gio trying to gain control of the game in an effort to win it.
I swear some people just see a name and don't even think why the change is being made.

If Sakala had missed a pen, majority would have said "why was the seasoned international Welshman not involved"

Roffe and Ramsay ought to have been on 30 mins earlier.
Sands sub was odd.
It seemed odd at the time. However when Tav moved to right wing as soon as he came on it made sense.

Roofe clearly didn’t have 30 minutes in him. If he had he would have been on and we’d likely have won.

Back