Sakala

I think it’s horses for courses.

You can’t fault his desire to run at defenders and his pace is absolutely rapid, but he needs to show more composure in front of goal for me, although the keeper did pull off a couple of great saves to deny him.

Personally speaking I think Kent scores a couple of those today.
Roy Makaay should be a big benefit for him and morelos.

Played well today much more to come from him. Liked the fact Kent was dropped to give him 90 mins against arguably the weakest opposition we will face at Ibrox.

Sensible rotation of players. Hope that is the sign of things to come.

He was excellent yesterday and the Dundee keeper made some great saves, but he also missed a couple he really should have been leaving the keeper no chance with.

The one at the start of the game he blasts over the bar is a really poor finish. I hate comparing players, but if Morelos missed the chances Sakala did people would be raging

I think it’s horses for courses.

You can’t fault his desire to run at defenders and his pace is absolutely rapid, but he needs to show more composure in front of goal for me, although the keeper did pull off a couple of great saves to deny him.

Personally speaking I think Kent scores a couple of those today.
Difference is I don't think Kent gets the chances Sakala got yesterday. As much as I rate Kent, he just doesn't get into goal scoring opportunities enough.

Difference is I don't think Kent gets the chances Sakala got yesterday. As much as I rate Kent, he just doesn't get into goal scoring opportunities enough.
Gerrard used him as one of his floating 10s meaning he was often drifting deep to pick the ball up when for me he should be running at defenders like Fashion did yesterday.

Kent can absolutely do this too, in fact on his day he’s still the best in Scotland at it.

I’d like to see Fashion on the left and Kent on the right with Alfie or Roofe through the middle.

Admit it mate he’s been rank rotten. Benefit of the doubt as he was playing not fully fit. Since he’s came back he’s been very poor
He was poor before his injury but since he came back his only poor game was hivs in which we win us 3 points

Not bad today but never a left winger in a million years
He clearly wasn’t deployed as a winger, but as a wide attacker detailed to try and cut inside to shoot. He did this very well for me, although he does need to work on his composure in front of goal.

I’d actually like to see a front three of Sakala, Kent and either Alfie or Roofe against teams like Dundee at home - just go all out in search of goals.

He was excellent yesterday and the Dundee keeper made some great saves, but he also missed a couple he really should have been leaving the keeper no chance with.

The one at the start of the game he blasts over the bar is a really poor finish. I hate comparing players, but if Morelos missed the chances Sakala did people would be raging

The difference is Sakala is creating the chances for himself there. Hes skinned the defender to then blast it over the bar.

Alfie just isn’t that type of player who has explosive pace or a trick to get by defenders with ease. Therefore if he’s not scoring or being a nuisance then he’s not effective.

The difference is Sakala is creating the chances for himself there. Hes skinned the defender to then blast it over the bar.

Alfie just isn’t that type of player who has explosive pace or a trick to get by defenders with ease. Therefore if he’s not scoring or being a nuisance then he’s not effective.
Two of Sakala's best chances came from Morelos creating them? He blasted the first over the bar then dragged the second about five yards wide. I love both players, I think they've got a great relationship building, but Sakala missing those chances against bigger teams would come back to bite us.

If you look at Sakalas career, he has really only just started on his footballing path. He has had nowhere near the coaching and instruction a comparable european player aged 24 will have had.

He only started playing for Spartak 2 when he was 20 years old, and really only gained first team experience with Oostende in the three years before joining us. In his first season with Ostende he scored 6, the next one he scored 9, then he scored 16. He has improved every year, I am hopeful he will blossom with top quality training and turn out to be a real find.

Two of Sakala's best chances came from Morelos creating them? He blasted the first over the bar then dragged the second about five yards wide. I love both players, I think they've got a great relationship building, but Sakala missing those chances against bigger teams would come back to bite us.
You still slipping the knife in? Now Sakala's misses are more consequential than anyone elses?
Oh wait, I see above you actually love Sakala.
Hahahaha.

I’m not saying he is this before anyone jumps down my throat but a limited player with pace who plays out wide and is direct should always be a huge asset to either us or them.

The pace in a forward area alone means the opposition cannot play a high line so then our better footballers should in theory get a lot more time on the ball to show they are better players than the opposition.

For example Wylde for us under Smith was very useful if a somewhat limited player. Always felt we played better when he was on offering the threat in behind.

Noticed yesterday the Leicester forward Paston Daka has similar tendencies. Maybe it's the way they were initially coached in Zambia and can similarly be coached out of them.

So one game means he’s been great?

As a whole this season he’s been poor.

Ryan Kent should be contributing the way the boy Jota for them has been contributing.

Kent has more potential but we hardly ever seem to see it over the course of a season
He had been playing with an injury from since the season started almost, and then missed nearly 2 months out with an injury.

You still slipping the knife in? Now Sakala's misses are more consequential than anyone elses?
Oh wait, I see above you actually love Sakala.
Hahahaha.
What are you talking about? The thread is discussing Sakala. He missed a number of big chances on Saturday, it’s not sticking the knife in to say his finishing isn’t great and could cost us in butter game. if you don’t think his finishing needs to improve then fair enough but it clearly does.

The one Sakala blasts over the bar is all his doing by knocking it by the full back. The fact Alfie passed the ball to him isn’t necessarily relevant as he’s still got a lot to do. The finish is very disappointing and hopefully something he can work on.

Morelos’ game/job is to score goals bully defenders. If he’s not doing that, he’s not necessarily contributing enough for me.

With Sakala he’s stretching defenders and causing havoc. So if we can get him to be a bit more composed when in those positions he can be a real asset.

On the way home from the game and just caught a bear on Clyde saying he’s not going to fit with us.

Genuinely wondered what game he must have watched today to come to that conclusion.

It turns out he came to that conclusion based on the fact the Clyde ssb reported that he missed a few chances during the game:D

He caused them all manner of problems today and would have had at least a double if it wasn’t for their keeper having a good game.

He’ll be a big player for us going forward. Very direct and will get chances most games he plays.
That was the fella who was on to thank Clyde for the Cash for Kids thing they do as he said they had helped his kids out with stuff. He sounded blootered though. Absolute roaster.

Last edited:
Definitely more than just pace the wee man.

Cracking all round player and will only get better with proper coaching and facilities that I doubt he has had until now.

I agree. Another player that wasnt given much of a chance by the FF experts. As usual the experts are never wrong so it appears Sakala has now become better.

The thing I really like about Sakala is that whenever he gets the ball you know his first thought is about getting into a position to get a shot away.

The one Sakala blasts over the bar is all his doing by knocking it by the full back. The fact Alfie passed the ball to him isn’t necessarily relevant as he’s still got a lot to do. The finish is very disappointing and hopefully something he can work on.

Morelos’ game/job is to score goals bully defenders. If he’s not doing that, he’s not necessarily contributing enough for me.

With Sakala he’s stretching defenders and causing havoc. So if we can get him to be a bit more composed when in those positions he can be a real asset.
People just don't want to give credit to Morelos at all. He literally puts it through to him and Sakala goes past the defender, it's good work from both. The second one as well Morelos robs the ball and slips it to him and he drags it wide.

Both players were good on Saturday, both missed chances but only one of them gets criticised for it.

Needs to work on his finishing and stop snatching at the ball. With better control could be a prolific striker.

He’s still 24yo ISOTSOG, and does seem to have a great work ethic, so hopefully he & other forwards are in with Makaay regularly in the coming days & weeks ?

Maybe Makaay can refine him. There is a player there and maybe he will become a top finisher. Would be great for us.

Yes, I think refine is a good description actually mate.

He’s got some really good attributes & hopefully that lack of real quality that a Kent or a Hagi can give us can be added, even to a minor extent.

Latest posts

Back