SC Final - A change in formation / tactics required?

Trafalgar

Looking at the way McGregor and O'Reilly had the freedom of the pitch on Saturday has got me thinking we need to go to 4 4 2 to combat this.

We need energy in midfield and quality, so on that basis Lundstram doesn't play.

With what we have available atm I'd go

Butland
Tav Balogun Souttar Ridvan
Sterling Raskin Diomande Silva
Dessers Roofe

We need to nullify the midfield or we don't stand a chance

Unfortunately I don't see Clement changing his formation and we are short of quality especially with limited options in key areas.

If we don't match them up in the middle of the park then another defeat is on the cards.

Sterling, Raskin, Diomande has to be the midfield at the very least.

We can still play 4-3-3 but you're correct that our mobility has to be massively increased. And aggression and intent.

Which means no Lundstram, Barisic and certainly under no circumstances Lawrence.

Butland
Sterling Raskin Diomande
Silva Dessers Sima

Flat three in midfield.

Surely to Christ Clement can see it now.

I’d be preparing for it over the next two league games, have Sterling as the deepest with Raskin/Dio either side.

Don’t think Sterling is good enough on the ball there long term, but against them he might be what’s needed, unless Ryan Jack of 2020 or 2022 can appear and even then he was best as the right CM.

Edit: Or Raskin as the deepest, Sterling to help Tav out as the RCM - as another poster pointed out.

Last edited:
Flat three in midfield.

I’d be preparing for it over the next two league games, have Sterling as the deepest with Raskin/Dio either side.

Don’t think Sterling is good enough on the ball there long term, but against them he might be what’s needed, unless Ryan Jack of 2020 or 2022 can appear and even then he was best as the right CM.
I would have Raskin as the deepest and Sterling on the right of a flat midfield 3 as he has the legs to really to get about and can also keep tabs on Maeda on their left hand side.

Flat three in midfield.

Been saying the same for weeks. We need to play a 4321 and go back to the two number 10’s. Under Gerrard we absolutely battered them and they are still playing the same way so we need to counter it and match them for effort.

They are playing the likes of Liam scales Anthony ralston and Greg Taylor and still managing to consistently beat us. It’s farcical.

Flat three in midfield.

Not to down play your credentials as a tactician but it does worry me a great deal that you’ve succinctly stated in a few lines what our manager seems to completely fail to grasp.

The degree to which Tom Lawrence was such a bad choice in those 2 league deciding OFs cannot be overstated.

4-4-2 Bassett for me as well.

Need 2 strikers in the middle working their centre backs, id even pick Wright he has pace and good movement at least. We need to go for a goal attack them test their old keeper.

Doubt it will happen right enough and id be shocked if Lundstram is not picked in a similar set up.

I would have Raskin as the deepest and Sterling on the right of a flat midfield 3 as he has the legs to really to get about and can also keep tabs on Maeda on their left hand side.
That would probably work better actually, as I don’t think Raskin is disciplined enough to help with Maeda.

Hopefully see Sima back but if not.

Butland

Tav
Souttar
Davies/Balogun
Ridvan

Raskin
Sterling
Diomande

Silva
Cantwell

Dessers

Unfortunately I don't see Clement changing his formation and we are short of quality especially with limited options in key areas.

If we don't match them up in the middle of the park then another defeat is on the cards.

Sterling, Raskin, Diomande has to be the midfield at the very least.
Totally agree with the last paragraph. I think that midfield can stop Celtic playing and get forward when able to.

The thing we need to do, above everything else, is to fight like Tigers for 90 minutes.

We need to leave everything out there on the pitch against Celtic and I don't think a lot of our players get that.

Has the idea of man-marking the opposition's key player gone out of style? Time was, at any level of football, that their best player would be subject to some close personal attention from a man whose only job was to stop him playing. Will Phil ever try it?

No Cantwell or Lawrence. Hopefully Rivan at LB, Balogun available and Diomande, Sterling and Raskin in midfield. Does Sima mate it, Matondo too?

No Cantwell or Lawrence. Hopefully Rivan at LB, Balogun available and Diomande, Sterling and Raskin in midfield. Does Sima mate it, Matondo too?
Sima is reportedly back in training surely we can get something out of him for this final ?

If not our medical department should be getting sacked over the summer far too many players just not getting back to play quick enough it's frustrating.

2 games at Parkhead this season, McGregor has absolutely dominated, we make him look like prime Pirlo.

There surely has to be focus and some sort of plan to deal with it, if he is allowed to dictate and dominate play then we will lose comfortably again, if that is allowed to happen then it's a dereliction of duty from the manager.

Has the idea of man-marking the opposition's key player gone out of style? Time was, at any level of football, that their best player would be subject to some close personal attention from a man whose only job was to stop him playing. Will Phil ever try it?
I think we need to try the even more basic idea of matching the opposition's work rate first.

A midfield 2 with someone as slow as Lundstram, with Lawrence poncing around in front of them is asking for a doing.

4-4-2 Bassett for me as well.

Need 2 strikers in the middle working their centre backs, id even pick Wright he has pace and good movement at least. We need to go for a goal attack them test their old keeper.

Doubt it will happen right enough and id be shocked if Lundstram is not picked in a similar set up.
Even mentioning Wright shows how bad we are.

100% Lundstram will start but he needs Diomande (left), Raskin(Right) and Sterling(Central) in there too.

Once the dust settles, two cups from the position Beale left us in would be a very good season.
Clement has to learn from the previous Celtic defeats and try something different.
Also put his differences aside with Cantwell and at least use him as a sub.
He can make things happen.

He will do the same again in the final and then again in the first Old Firm next season.

You can feel the stubbornness ooozing right out him
If that's the case we'll be making a managerial appointment in October for the third year in a row

Once the dust settles, two cups from the position Beale left us in would be a very good season.
Clement has to learn from the previous Celtic defeats and try something different.
Also put his differences aside with Cantwell and at least use him as a sub.
He can make things happen.
No it isn’t. We’ve fucking chucked it with county and Dundee that’s before picking up 1 out 12 points against them

It would be good from the pint of view to surprise them, they’ll be expecting us to come out the same way. No fight, no drive and the same shite slow boring football. Come out with a bit of dif about out and don’t let them bully us all over the park, don’t let them run all over us in the midfield and take it from there

Hopefully see Sima back but if not.

Butland

Tav
Souttar
Davies/Balogun
Ridvan

Raskin
Sterling
Diomande

Silva
Cantwell

Dessers
Cantwell has shown nothing of late to be in that team. A luxury player that we dont have the luxury of playing at the moment imo

Again i think Injuries and suspensions are going to be critical we have no idea who our CB pairings gonna be this week or next, never mind the final.

I think if we are going to beat them, its the 1:1 battles, we need to get Sterling marking Maeda. Tav moving into Midfield. Cantwell is our most creative player and cant just be dropped again. Ridvan starting is a must over barasic. Silva on Johnston until we were at 10 men is an interesting battle, both in danger of seeing red and being sent off

Again it was obvious before the game at the weekend but Sterling has to play in the middle of the park. A midfield 3 of raskin, diomande and Sterling. We need legs in there. Lundstram shouldn’t play again for us, Lawrence similar shouldn’t play for us again.

If clement starts Lawrence or cantwell in there then he is showing that he is making the same mistakes over and over.

Of course there has to be change. Something, anything.

More of the same ain’t getting it done, like we all knew before Saturday.

He won’t go 442 unfortunately but we need more pace in the engine room. That means Raskin, Dio, Sterling.

We can’t see Barisic, Lundstram or Lawrence starting.

Looking at the way McGregor and O'Reilly had the freedom of the pitch on Saturday has got me thinking we need to go to 4 4 2 to combat this.

We need energy in midfield and quality, so on that basis Lundstram doesn't play.

With what we have available atm I'd go

Butland
Sterling Raskin Diomande Silva
Dessers Roofe

We need to nullify the midfield or we don't stand a chance
i hoped we would change it

but the way clemente spoke about and defended lundstram in his post match interview has me thinking hes gonna stick to his guns sadly

hoping balogun is back as hes solid, ridvan as barisic is a massive shi*ebag
sterling i wish we had 10 of that guy, i'd even play him up front at this stage too, i mean the guy can play out of position better than the folk who play in those positions which is a telling sign, im no even sure he "has" a position anymore as he impresses me basically anywhere he happens to be

Diomande was rotten for me yesterday and given the amount of times he had sloppy challenges in im surprised he managed to make it through without getting a yellow

I wish we could have roofe's talent in dessers body, dessers i try to dislike him because hes so rotten but for effort i cant fault him, even in the face of adversity he just seems to keep going, he reminds me of my dug in that even when he gets in trouble hes back wagging his tail and chasing the ball a few seconds later, just a shame hes rank rotten at fitba really

Nobody has though. What else do we do, play Lawrence again. Rather just try something different. We are losing regardless let's be honest.
Something different isn't Cantwell though.
A change in formation with players that are mobile would be different.
If we don't change we will be up against it again, do something different in a cup final and we have as much chance as them of winning.

Right, here goes:

Butland
Tav Balogun Davies Ridvan
Raskin
Sterling Diomande
Silva
Dessers Sima

If Sima isn't fit move Silva forward and have Cantwell off the front 2.

Something different isn't Cantwell though.
A change in formation with players that are mobile would be different.
If we don't change we will be up against it again, do something different in a cup final and we have as much chance as them of winning.
What I had, playing two 10s and letting Tav and Ridvan be the width is something different.

The only change we need is people in midfield with legs, hopefully Sima will be fit which will give us a bit of pace up front but our main issue against them is we just let their midfield run around us

If he lines up the same way with the same players questions will be asked of big Phil, I don't want to see Lundstram in a Rangers shirt again. Use the two remaining league games to try to sort out something that works

Back