Schalke 04

How are the financial split between Top division clubs is it equal share
And how does the 51 % owenship rule hamper clubs with getting wealthy investors
51% doesn’t stop wealthy investors per se. Many clubs have had long term benefactors who have freely given money.

What it does do is stop people giving money and gaining absolute influence without member approval. For someone to take over a club they basically have to have a long standing commitment and interest - basically give money for years and hope that the clubs members take their views on direction and allow them in later on once they have met the minimum commitment years

This is why 50+1 puts off a lot of investors. You can give a truck load of money for years without any benefit to you. Why would you risk that? This is why 1860 Munich is in a bit of trouble. Their main institutional investor realised that he was the cash cow so has spat the dummy a little bit.

Alternately you could set up a new club with a small membership base that you control - basically what RB Leipzig have done.

It is far from a Utopia isn't it.
Bayern’s set up is very clever tbh. They have made it so that their advisory board is a prestigious thing to be on. They are able to attract some of the best business minds in Germany like people at Audi, Adidas, Deutsch Telekom to sit on that board and give strategic direction.

Bayern’s set up is very clever tbh. They have made it so that their advisory board is a prestigious thing to be on. They are able to attract some of the best business minds in Germany like people at Audi, Adidas, Deutsch Telekom to sit on that board and give strategic direction.
Always wondered if Audi is a conflict interest really with what they do at Ingolstadt as well.

Always wondered if Audi is a conflict interest really with what they do at Ingolstadt as well.
I’m not too sure of Ingolstadt’s structure so couldn’t comment but Audi’s parent is VW so you have the Wolfsburg angle too.

Well RB basically don't do it - they just make it very expensive to become a member (something many journalists never mention when going on about cheap tickets in Germany), they only have about 20 members I think - Bayern have about 300,000.
Excellent point and further demonstrates that in this day and age, money men almost always get their own way. Wouldnt be a surprise if the 20 members were funded by the owner in any event.

German second tier should have some excellent games, especially when fans properly return.

Have never liked Hamburg. To me, they're Germanys Aberdeen - Won some stuff in the 80s, still go on about it and makes them believe they're more relevant than they really are.

Apart from them though, some potentially excellent fixtures in the pipeline.

Had the pleasure of being at the 2004 UCL final between Monaco and Porto held in Schalke 04’s ground. Lovely stadium, the pitch is kept outside the ground when there is no games on and comes inside for games.

Most of them are employees of the club / Red Bull as far as I am aware.

Copy/pasted this but it is freely available on the internet:

Membership to the club costs a whopping thousand euros a year and it only gives you non-voting rights. Its proper members are mostly employees or associates of Red Bull. This has led to years of boycotts and protests by opposing fans.

Sure Wolfsburg is only 30 euros a year to be a member, many Clubs are around 100 I think.

Last edited:
German second tier should have some excellent games, especially when fans properly return.

Have never liked Hamburg. To me, they're Germanys Aberdeen - Won some stuff in the 80s, still go on about it and makes them believe they're more relevant than they really are.

Apart from them though, some potentially excellent fixtures in the pipeline.
Pretty ignorant comment. Won some stuff? Aye just the European Cup, the CWC and the Intercontinental.

They are a huge club and not just a team in the 80s. Aberdeen were barely registrable before the 80s and after. Hamburg have been one of the biggest clubs in Germany since day dot.

Regular fixture of European football since the 60s, including reaching a cup winners cup final.

Pre Bundesliga they were the record North German championship holders. I suspect they qualified for the old German championship more times than any other club.

They have had a rough few years but so have many big European clubs.

Always such a shame to see such a massive club like Schalke being relegated. Visited their stadium a few years ago for a match v Nuremburg and the atmosphere was incredible. 61,000 there and a very generous Schalke fan even managed to get us tickets for the huge terraced area behind one of the goals which was an amazing experience.

The whole city of Gelsenkirchren basically revolves around Schalke 04 so it'll be a city in mourning today.

To put into perspective how big their fanbase is, they are 2nd only to Bayern Munich for the number of members they have. Dortmund are in 3rd place (Koln, Hamburg and Moenchengladbach 4th, 5th and 6th respectively).

Pretty ignorant comment. Won some stuff? Aye just the European Cup, the CWC and the Intercontinental.

They are a huge club and not just a team in the 80s. Aberdeen were barely registrable before the 80s and after. Hamburg have been one of the biggest clubs in Germany since day dot.

Regular fixture of European football since the 60s, including reaching a cup winners cup final.

Pre Bundesliga they were the record North German championship holders. I suspect they qualified for the old German championship more times than any other club.

They have had a rough few years but so have many big European clubs.

You say that like I should care.

They have been perpetually shite for years now. The type of team I watch German Football despite of, rather than because of.

Always such a shame to see such a massive club like Schalke being relegated. Visited their stadium a few years ago for a match v Nuremburg and the atmosphere was incredible. 61,000 there and a very generous Schalke fan even managed to get us tickets for the huge terraced area behind one of the goals which was an amazing experience.

The whole city of Gelsenkirchren basically revolves around Schalke 04 so it'll be a city in mourning today.

To put into perspective how big their fanbase is, they are 2nd only to Bayern Munich for the number of members they have. Dortmund are in 3rd place (Koln, Hamburg and Moenchengladbach 4th, 5th and 6th respectively).
See that about members, do you have an up to date list of them? Not disagreeing just I can never find a more recent list than this:

Union Berlin are about 37,000 now I think, wondered if Hamburg may have dropped. I am becoming a member of Hansa at the minute, they are trying to get 15,000.

See that about members, do you have an up to date list of them? Not disagreeing just I can never find a more recent list than this:

Union Berlin are about 37,000 now I think, wondered if Hamburg may have dropped. I am becoming a member of Hansa at the minute, they are trying to get 15,000.

No pal that's the one I've got. Think that's still the most up-to-date one available. A few clubs may well have dropped or increased slightly in that time but from what I've been told when I've been to Bundesliga games and spoken to supporters over there is that very few fans ever cancel their memberships, other than for obvious things like death! Membership numbers at Schalke are now over 160,000.

No pal that's the one I've got. Think that's still the most up-to-date one available. A few clubs may well have dropped or increased slightly in that time but from what I've been told when I've been to Bundesliga games and spoken to supporters over there is that very few fans ever cancel their memberships, other than for obvious things like death! Membership numbers at Schalke are now over 160,000.

Found these, some rise for Bayern over the years!

My awareness of German football is limited, but they always seemed like a stable, good sized, middle of the table club that might push the top end of the league from time to time and be a tough place to go for the big teams when that fixture came up. Not sure why it has all fallen apart for them, but sure they will be back.

I always used to look out for Hansa’s results. A membership of 15,000 would be great for them. Hopefully they can climb up the leagues again.

As for Schalke. They seem quite a curious club. Won very little in modern times, yet possess a massive, loyal support within an industrial heartland. Without wanting to make vague comparisons, they remind me in that sense of Newcastle United. See also Fortuna Dusseldorf, maybe? Another great, underachieving old club.

Apparently it was all kicking off when the team returned to Gelsenkirchen.

FC Schalke players were greeted by a mob of over 600 fans who waited for the team bus to arrive at Veltins-Arena. Despite the team returning in the late hours of the day in Gelsenkirchen, the players saw a hefty crowd awaiting their return as the players and club officials were scheduled to have a brief discussion with them.
However, things took a turn for the worse as eggs and fireworks were thrown towards players who were hit by them and were left bloodied. The players were also abused as fans were also reported to chase down the squad who ran into the stadium parameters.

I always used to look out for Hansa’s results. A membership of 15,000 would be great for them. Hopefully they can climb up the leagues again.

As for Schalke. They seem quite a curious club. Won very little in modern times, yet possess a massive, loyal support within an industrial heartland. Without wanting to make vague comparisons, they remind me in that sense of Newcastle United. See also Fortuna Dusseldorf, maybe? Another great, underachieving old club.

Could have gone 4 points clear last night mate, daft ending!

Aye, it’s definitely got a lot of problems. 1860 themselves have been through all kinds through poor owners. It’s much better out of the Bundesliga competitive wise, like I said earlier in the thread, the second tier will have as many big clubs as the first next season by the looks of things.
I remember when itv4 used to show Bundesliga highlights on a monday night. Always enjoyed watching, without knowing the results.

Apart from bayern munich, the others were hard to call, well maybe apart from hamburg losing, but they always escaped by the skin of their teeth back then. It had to catch up with them eventually.

This was when I got my first view of de bruyne with Bremen, absolute class act who really did carry them.

I just think it's a shame that a country with so many massive clubs have a team going for 9 in a row, much the same as I believe Juventus in their country shouldn't have got near 8, with the huge clubs in italy.

There seems to be an imbalance in a lot of leagues at the moment and it's not good, especially when you read about the german set up on here, which admittedly I dont know much about, but do wonder why one club can dominate so much.

will never forget their 2001 season. Schalke game finished and they were the champions at that point. TV called it, journos called it , stadium announcer called it and the fans went crazy. Only to notice the bayern game was still going (on the stadium big screen) and bayern scored in the last minute to win the title by 1 point.

will never forget their 2001 season. Schalke game finished and they were the champions at that point. TV called it, journos called it , stadium announcer called it and the fans went crazy. Only to notice the bayern game was still going (on the stadium big screen) and bayern scored in the last minute to win the title by 1 point.

ouch

I remember when itv4 used to show Bundesliga highlights on a monday night. Always enjoyed watching, without knowing the results.

Apart from bayern munich, the others were hard to call, well maybe apart from hamburg losing, but they always escaped by the skin of their teeth back then. It had to catch up with them eventually.

This was when I got my first view of de bruyne with Bremen, absolute class act who really did carry them.

I just think it's a shame that a country with so many massive clubs have a team going for 9 in a row, much the same as I believe Juventus in their country shouldn't have got near 8, with the huge clubs in italy.

There seems to be an imbalance in a lot of leagues at the moment and it's not good, especially when you read about the german set up on here, which admittedly I dont know much about, but do wonder why one club can dominate so much.

When he left Wolfsburg it basically spelt the end of any title race the next season for me, he was superb in his last season there.

It is very sad mate, it is happening more and more now. It is more lively in the lower tiers in quite a few Leagues.

Cologne are struggling to avoid relegation, as are Hertha Berlin. Dynamo Dresden have a good chance of promotion from the third tier. Hamburg will probably have another miraculous escape from promotion :(, and a few other famous names are in the 2 Bundesliga.
Very sad to see a team with such a big following go down, and not have their massive Revierderby with Borussia Dortmund.
Another club struggling are Kaiserslautern (who knocked us out of the UEFA Cup around 20 years ago), they are in the bottom 4 in the 3 Bundesliga, which means you are relegated to regional leagues.
That’s what it’s all about though. The Bundesliga looks a cracking league in terms of unpredictability and entertainment. Well, aside from who will win it which I suppose kind of invalidates my point :oops:

Die meister der herzen

Reactions: VGM
When he left Wolfsburg it basically spelt the end of any title race the next season for me, he was superb in his last season there.

It is very sad mate, it is happening more and more now. It is more lively in the lower tiers in quite a few Leagues.
Wolfsburg, you are correct. My mistake.

Always looked forward to seeing him on the highlights. Have to say, he very rarely failed to deliver, wether setting up a goal or actually scoring himself.

To be honest I was rattled on the Veltins so can't really remember.
Ditto, hence why im asking.
To be honest I was rattled on the Veltins so can't really remember.
I went to the game with The Bochum Loyal,after the game they ripped a Schalke flag off a flag pole outside the stadium.

At least 40 German Bears in a boozer, after the game, having a Sash Bash,Schalke flag lying in a puddle in front of the pub,they charged a euro per person to walk over the flag.

I feel sad when a historic club like Schalke get demoted. Wasn't that long ago they were UEFA cup champions and have several German titles, albeit in the distant past.

Back