Scotland under 21 squad announced - 5 Rangers players involved

Well done to them. Hopefully at least some of them will go on to be good first-team players for us.

A huge amount of lads from clubs down south, hopefully that is a good sign we have a good crop coming through
Fiorini was on loan at Nac Breda last season as well, and had a really good year by all accounts.

Exciting times as you allude to, but the 21s need a new manager.

How is Lewis Mayo getting on at Thistle? Any chance he could be close to pushing for a place in our squad?

I could see Hickey being used in midfield if everyone in that squad is fit, given Ramsay and Doig are very good full backs and he's played there at various levels before.

It's a shame McPake had to miss out the last time - seemed to start well at Morecambe but has been on the bench of late. Not sure if he picked up an injury.

Interesting to see our guys are mostly out on loan while the celtic players are being used as first team but not judged good enough for full caps. Just emphasises how much of a better position we are in

Pretty strong squad, with some very talented youngsters. It's a shame they have to endure the coaching and playing style of Scott "route one" Gemmell. It's actually embarrassing having a coach like that as your u21 manager. He makes Clarke's style look like tiki-taka for all the midfield touch the ball.

Our last CM crop had Gilmour, Ferguson and Turnbull. He either played lesser players like Allan Campbell and Barry Maguire over them or then just booted the ball over their head. Say what you will about Ferguson and Turnbull but at u21 level they are good players. A midfield of Gilmour, Ferguson and Turnbull would've been able to outplay most teams (outside the big nations). Then throw in never playing Patterson as a RB in all his caps.

Honestly infuriates me having clowns like this ruining good crops of players. Same with Stark at u19 level, why Stark was ever brought back is beyond me.

Get rid of Gemmell at u21 and bring in Murty. Dreadful manager for Rangers but he is excellent at youth progression and that is what u21 level should be all about. Not hoof baw to try and scrape a result. Would get the u21s atleast trying to play football.

Another option would be Brian Rice, not afraid to take risks and atleast tries to play football while giving lots of young players a chance.

Back