Match Thread Scotland v Moldova WC Qualifier 19:45 KO

I think Nathan is some way short of being a good defender on that showing. No doubt about his ability going forward in a team that's on the front foot all the time but that's not Scotland.
For what its worth I think you are talking pish.

Do you suggest we play O'donnell on Tuesday then?

For the standard Scotland have played at under Clarke, i actually thought that was one of the better performances since he became manager. Created chances, just couldn't finish them. Patterson's nice bit of play being the difference between 3 points or 1 against Moldova isn't good though.

Also hope his performance has nailed him down as Scotland's right back. He's better both going forward and at defending compared to O'Donnell and his athleticism lets him do both instead of hugging onto the half way line like O'Donnell. It's like the Tavernier and Hodson debated that some tried to create, just because one is better going forward doesn't mean the other is better at defending. Exact same situation here but i expect Patterson will find himself back on the bench against Austria for the "safe" option against more talented opposition.
What Tavernier and Hodson debate? There was no debate.

Tav was great going forward but not as great defensively.

Hodson was shite going forward and shite defensively

Was at the game tonight. Scotland played well first half (bearing in mind Moldova are mince). Gilmour, Patterson and McGinn the stars for me. (Really think Patterson needs more game time soon though and am worried he'll be tempted away if he doesn't get it.)

Second half wasn't so great but we still made tons of chances. We desperately need a striker. Dykes, Nisbet, Adams are all half decent but none of them are really good enough. There must be one out there somewhere. Someone with a Scottish granny who can't get into the England squad or something.

I know this might be unpopular but now that Christie has left the scum maybe there's less reason to slag him off so much? He actually played well tonight I thought, although the guy's ability to launch projectiles into space when faced with a goal net must make him a candidate for a job at NASA.

For me Robertson is still so massively overrated it's embarrassing. I've heard people describe him as world class (Liverpool fans mainly). Aye right :rolleyes: Maldini, Brehme, Roberto Carlos - those were world class left backs. Ashley Cole even. Robertson is not even playing the same game as them never mind being their equal.

All in all it was 3 deserved points against poor opposition.

The worst bit of the night though was the train from Mount Florida back to the Central. I'm getting on a bit now so my tolerance is not what it was, but the amount of steaming wee (and not so wee) neds falling about pished carrying half full bottles of Buckie would make you puke. Absolute disgrace most of them. If the Police weren't spending all their time on their phones looking for anti-Irish Catholic tweets they'd have time to lock these fuckers up for the night.

What Tavernier and Hodson debate? There was no debate.

Tav was great going forward but not as great defensively.

Hodson was shite going forward and shite defensively
Moldova are ranked 174th in world rankings we beat the 1-0 at home just try & take that in the level we are at is a disgrace, we are at the same level as the likes of Lichtenstein, Faroe islands, San Marino maybe not as bad but not far off , I think the player we have could be decent enough if they were managed better .

Was at the game tonight. Scotland played well first half (bearing in mind Moldova are mince). Gilmour, Patterson and McGinn the stars for me. (Really think Patterson needs more game time soon though and am worried he'll be tempted away if he doesn't get it.)

Second half wasn't so great but we still made tons of chances. We desperately need a striker. Dykes, Nisbet, Adams are all half decent but none of them are really good enough. There must be one out there somewhere. Someone with a Scottish granny who can't get into the England squad or something.

I know this might be unpopular but now that Christie has left the scum maybe there's less reason to slag him off so much? He actually played well tonight I thought, although the guy's ability to launch projectiles into space when faced with a goal net must make him a candidate for a job at NASA.

For me Robertson is still so massively overrated it's embarrassing. I've heard people describe him as world class (Liverpool fans mainly). Aye right :rolleyes: Maldini, Brehme, Roberto Carlos - those were world class left backs. Ashley Cole even. Robertson is not even playing the same game as them never mind being their equal.

The worst bit of the night though was the train from Mount Florida back to the Central. I'm getting on a bit now so my tolerance is not what it was, but the amount of steaming wee (and not so wee) neds falling about pished carrying half full bottles of Buckie would make you puke. Absolute disgrace most of them. If the Police weren't spending all their time on their phones looking for anti-Irish Catholic tweets they'd have time to lock these fuckers up for the night.
I only watched the 2nd half but took until his blasted shot 30 yards over the bar from inside the box for me to realise Christie was even on the pitch. He was anonymous!

That’s from someone who can admit he was one of Celtics best players this season so far.

If Scotland can get something in Austria they have a real chance of qualifying, the Israel win has really opened the group up.

Home game against Israel still to come with Israel away to Denmark on Tuesday. Scotland also have Denmark last game at home when they will already have qualified.

Only problem is Clarke is the manager and the performances have been terrible
And Israel's 3 toughest matches are all away from home. They have to play Denmark, Us, and Austria, all away, so unfortunately there is hope but if we lose on Tuesday, we're toast.

Steve Clarke mustve had one too many or one too few to have started Nathan Patterson but it was a welcome surprise. He looked like hed been playing there for ages and had total composure, going forward as a threat and doing the defensive basics. Scotland, and indeed Rangers, should be picking him every game now.

Billy Gilmour looked a class apart in the midfield, Scotland are truly blessed to have a creative talent like this in the team. Steve Clarke isnt the Coach to either man-manage his talent , nor build the team around it, but at least hes playing now.

Denmark only beat Faroes 1-0 tonight, these things happen where you don’t always put the minnows to the sword. Israel beating Austria is a brilliant result for us and all that matters now is we get a result on Tuesday which I think we’re capable of.

I'm not a fan of Buckfast either. Whisky for me

Took my grandson to the game and couldn’t believe the amount of drunks around us. Drunk and being held up one guy kept falling on to the guy in front of him. Don’t understand how they were allowed in. Seen some young guys drinking bottles of Budweiser inside. My grandson couldn’t believe it either when we seen a couple of guys urinating at someone’s garden.
Haven’t been to a Scotland game for many years but there is a definite increased level of tolerance towards anti social behaviour applied when it comes to Scotland fans.
I may add that I like a wee drink myself and don’t begrudge anyone having a good time.

Gaave away 3 fouls in first 10 mins alone. Was at the game then watched it again when home. Stand by my initial thoughts. Try watching it and see.

That was nearly 2 hours of my life I won't get back.
Turgid crap. We are hopeless up top and we where holding on at the end. Simply not good enough.

Its a bit odd having the best centre most of us ever seen for Scotland on commentry when the forwards on the pitch could do with a little help and advice from someone like Ally.

He gets slaughtered every time and is like a player from the english top league in 80s, but without big Dykes we would be out of it no one else is scoring.

I think the missed chances and lack of confidence is a lot down to the way we play, the Denmark game was shameful it was lost in the dressing room when that happens the manager shouldnt even bother taking the team ever again.

It was not a bad performance last night some neat football Patterson and Gilmour were the best players you have to remember both are very young when they balls up... the experienced players are the ones letting the side down (Andy Robertson has defo won the most overrated player on FF ever award) still it could have been 4 or 5 even if opposition were dreadful.

If they attack Austria they could get a good result but id worry about the manager more than the players if he takes the same attitude as the last away game its goodnight Vienna.

Id also add that having seen a wee bit of all the teams now Scotland are actually in a pretty good group and have been quite lucky with the draw once again.

I must say, that whole post really makes me desperate to make the gargantuan effort required to go and pay to watch a set of third rate 'internationalists" go through the motions in a third rate fitba stadium amongst a set of lowest common denominator dregs of 21st century SNP Scotland.
What I've missed giving up going to watch Scotland 40-odd years ago...

Gaave away 3 fouls in first 10 mins alone. Was at the game then watched it again when home. Stand by my initial thoughts. Try watching it and see.
The media and a manager that isnt exactly Rangers friendly seem to be quite positive about Patterson, i would hope not but sounds as though you went along there to find one or two negatives to pick out from the lads performance.

Hes a kid, hes not played many games even in our league, ofcourse he gives the ball away, misses a chance or trips someone, the way he plays the game the effort and energy he puts in hes never going to put in a perfect performance.

Patterson was one of the best players on the park we should be delighted to see him doing well.

i can barely watch scotland now
that team were the 5th worst ranked team and yet
all through that game i was waiting on the equaliser.
It was weird with even 30 minutes to go it felt like the last five minutes, I guess thats the way Clarke has his teams play and its not a good watch, and agiant a better side they would have equalised for sure.

If anything after that display, any club thinking they could offer Rangers any less than 15 million for NP and get him can fcuk right off.

I don't want him to go regardless...he could be a stalwart in the team for years.

Scotland have a solid team but are lacking that one world class creative player that some decent but average teams have that take them to the next level. Think Stoichkov, Hagi snr etc. Don't think Clarke is the man to get the best out of that squad but replacement options are pretty limited. A John Hughes would at least set up to win games but that shows how limited the options are.

Scotland could put together a decent attacking team but Steve Clarke as a manager is terrible. I can see the point in 5 at the back against top 20 teams but not Moldova
Gordon
Patterson Hanley Cooper tierney
McGregor gilmour mcginn
Fraser adams Phillips

instead it’s 532 and lump the ball forward with no pressing.

Scotland could put together a decent attacking team but Steve Clarke as a manager is terrible. I can see the point in 5 at the back against top 20 teams but not Moldova
Gordon
Patterson Hanley Cooper tierney
McGregor gilmour mcginn
Fraser adams Phillips

instead it’s 532 and lump the ball forward with no pressing.
Antiquated tactics

The media and a manager that isnt exactly Rangers friendly seem to be quite positive about Patterson, i would hope not but sounds as though you went along there to find one or two negatives to pick out from the lads performance.

Hes a kid, hes not played many games even in our league, ofcourse he gives the ball away, misses a chance or trips someone, the way he plays the game the effort and energy he puts in hes never going to put in a perfect performance.

Patterson was one of the best players on the park we should be delighted to see him doing well.
Certainly didn't go to scrutinise Nathan but he was on my side of the pitch first half so easy to see. Just think he's still got a lot to learn and probably capped because it's only Sod as competition. Don't think he was best player on the park. Still way to go for Internationals.. Will only develop further with run of first team games.

Some of you are beginning to sound like our media, looking for some kind of light at the end of the tunnel.

We're rank rotten, the faroes put up a better fight against the danes. We wont be going to the world cup for no other reason, we're a poor team who still can't play technical football, whilst the rest of the world are doing it.

The euro's told you all about us. 2 games at home against teams who are not at their best, but beaten 5-1 over both games with relative ease.

Pep couldn't do anything with the squad of players we have. It will take a lot more than 2 kids in gilmour and paterson to turn this round. As for dykes, he wouldn't have made the juniors international team.

The whole structure needs gutted from top to bottom.

I’ve been reading that last sentence literally all of my football-watching life.

John mcginn football wise is well over rated , he’s strong and determined but when teams start to pass the ball around he’s a lost sheep

If O'Donnell played instead of Patterson that game ends 0-0.

Reactions: wpj
I’ve been reading that last sentence literally all of my football-watching life.
Couldn't agree more mate. Our set up is what inspired groundhog day.

My old man always said to me, heard it all before, so that's 2 lifetimes.

I was there taking my Grandson and 5 of his pals. Pleased to say that around me Patterson got the biggest cheer behind Robertson. Should have won comfortably but Tierney, Robertson, Gilmour and Christie missed sitters.
Patterson played well but was blowing out his arse for the last 15 minutes. McGinn would improve if he did everything at 90mph rather than 150mph. I was impressed by Hanley.

Back