Scottish players

I don't see where this mythical Scottish core of players is going to appear from tbh. There's a few decent SPFL level guys kicking about, but nothing outstanding. No qualms about adding a few of those to the squad in the summer. However, I'm not seeing many, that I'd say would be outright starters and massive upgrades.

Continually seeing Walter Smith's second spell with us being referenced. So it needs to be noted, that Smith inherited a bunch of good Scottish players when he arrived, McGregor, Boyd, Ferguson, Hutton, Smith, Burke and Adam were already here when he arrived. He then signed Weir, Thomson, McCulloch, Naismith, Whittaker, Dailly, Alexander and Broadfoot in his first 2 seasons. Then added Miller in his 3rd season. We had a Scottish core already. Smith just beefed it up over the years, Clement doesn't have that luxury.

Looking at the Scottish lads we've got available in our current t squad in the summer, it's basically Souttar, Wright, McCrorie, King, Devine, McKinnon, Lowry, Lyall and Rice. Not exactly comparable to what Smith had to work with as a starting point.

I don't see where this mythical Scottish core of players is going to appear from tbh. There's a few decent SPFL level guys kicking about, but nothing outstanding. No qualms about adding a few of those to the squad in the summer. However, I'm not seeing many, that I'd say would be outright starters and massive upgrades.

Continually seeing Walter Smith's second spell with us being referenced. So it needs to be noted, that Smith inherited a bunch of good Scottish players when he arrived, McGregor, Boyd, Ferguson, Hutton, Smith, Burke and Adam were already here when he arrived. He then signed Weir, Thomson, McCulloch, Naismith, Whittaker, Dailly, Alexander and Broadfoot in his first 2 seasons. Then added Miller in his 3rd season. We had a Scottish core already. Smith just beefed it up over the years, Clement doesn't have that luxury.

Looking at the Scottish lads we've got available in our current t squad in the summer, it's basically Souttar, Wright, McCrorie, King, Devine, McKinnon, Lowry, Lyall and Rice. Not exactly comparable to what Smith had to work with as a starting point.
Also add in what it would actually cost to buy a Naismith or Thompson nowadays. £5m?

Weir, McCulloch and Dailly came from the EPL. Good luck matching those wages.

It's not as easy to just go buy Scottish players as people are making out. Certainly not ones that can contribute.

Assuming that is if LM transfers this Summer ? Not sure he will and another year on it’s an unknown isn’t it because he is still recovering from injuries and should he show string torn next season , or nit , then the valuation would reflect that too

Edit : is this correct that he is OoC June 2025 https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lennon-miller/profil/spieler/924857
He's contracted to 2026 mate.

The only Scottish player good enough at that age for us currently is Ben doak, can’t see us getting him
Yeah the guy at Liverpool, ofcourse.
No that is true i dont either but if we are being honest we dont watch these clubs closely and no one can be sure how a player might perform there is surprises all the time with signings and even more so young players. I would like to see more game time for Devine and Lowry for example i doubt there will be plenty of money for top signings anyway.

I am sure you will remember some mentioned Shankland last summer.. Rangers fan, not a sky sports superstar but a very good spfl goalscorer, has always been desperate to sign.... but we were told no way he has little experience outside the country and anyway he cannot play as a centre something to do with modern football. All obviously bollocks hes top scorer and off to the euros.

Back