Selling players: emotion v common sense

Morelos has to be sold. No ifs buts or maybes.

Sell him for the good of the club

Not unless we get a proper offer . Gerrard said it - the days of selling our players for lowball bids are gone .

Alfie simply cannot be allowed to leave for any less than £15 million . It would be madness .

I don't think Tav would want to leave.

As much as I like Morelos and he has been one of, if not our best player this season, I'd sell him and use the money.

King knows what its all about he will find money to add to the team . After we win the title we can sell them .you dont get rid of your best players at this time . Convinced we are a couple of quality signings away from romping the league .
Tav doesmt want to go .doesnt make financial sense to get rid of Alfie now his stock is low a couple of european goals .scores 30 goals minimum next season and he learns to count to ten his transfer value next season will be double what it is now .

I would sell anyone if we get enough to reinvest. So if we could get around 25m+ for Tav and Morelos I would.
I would want two strikers in and I would want a defensive full back and a good attacking wide player signed to replace Tav.

I’d sell Morelos as for a number of reasons, I think it’s best for us going forward.

But I’d keep Tav. Pretty integral to the team and offers us something we simply won’t find in another full back. Whereas with Alfie, we already know we can actually improve in his absence.

Seen the chat of Jack being touted for Southampton on another thread,if we get offered the guts of twenty million for him and Morelos that would be some going.
With respect they would be easier to replace than Tav.

I'd sell Morelos, Grezda, Barasic and I could perhaps be tempted to sell Jack if a good offer came in.

Tav I'd try and keep for now as we can't have too much change in the back 4 close season...
One of Goldson or Katic could be upgraded, left back for sure needs an attack minded change.

I think our problem is bringing the right players in the first place.

Including loans we brought in around twenty players last season but our best performers and the ones the talk on here of selling to make money are Tav, Jack and Morelos who were already here.

We should only be selling players when we have a better quality replacement secured.

For years we discussed 'the plan'. As we struggled to beat Alloa and went to replay with Albion Rovers we hoped one day to have proper coaching and scouting. We'd buy bargains, train them, improve them and caah in, to fund 'the project' at all levels.

Now? It's happening....Tav and Alfie. But what I've noticed is more and more "Actually keep them, we want them for 55...he is my favourite player....what if we waste the money on shite players..."

What is your opinion? How are you feeling re emotional v practical? For me we can't ever turn away £22m for players who cost £1.2m. Our very future depends on it.

Your views:

There’s very little common sense on here, a lot of posters are still stuck in the 90s and early 2000s where we didn’t need to sell to survive.

Thankfully, we now have people running the club who do have the common sense required.

We are more than capable without Morelos, and are actually a better team. Been proven.

Tavernier, not so much.

Respectively disagree. Mcrorie has more pace, which would be an asset overlapping and defending. He has more than enough to develop into the role IMHO.

Sorry I have to completely disagree. I don’t think McCrorie is as fast or fit as Tav, his first touch and final ball is questionable which is something you must have as an overlapping full back.

Can you see McCrorie taking balls in tight areas and playing one twos up the line with a wide man the way Tav does with Candeias? No neither can I.

McCrorie is a stopper in the Flanagan mould, crashing into tackles taking no prisoners, will not lose many 50/50s but not creative. He can have a role in the team but not an attacking full back like Tav.

There's probably equity in selling some of the lesser players in the squad
Tavernier for me is a straight up no, do not sell.

Candeias, Jack etc sell if suitable offers come in

Seems most would sell Alfie...

Sums this place up. How anyone can believe that selling your 30 goal striker makes you somehow better is beyond me. The only good reason would be for a good profit to reinvest in other areas but the lack of knowledge on here to what Morelos actually brings to the team is mental. There’s not many 30 goal strikers kicking about for the money that we paid for Morelos.

Sorry I have to completely disagree. I don’t think McCrorie is as fast or fit as Tav, his first touch and final ball is questionable which is something you must have as an overlapping full back.

Can you see McCrorie taking balls in tight areas and playing one twos up the line with a wide man the way Tav does with Candeias? No neither can I.

McCrorie is a stopper in the Flanagan mould, crashing into tackles taking no prisoners, will not lose many 50/50s but not creative. He can have a role in the team but not an attacking full back like Tav.
It's all about opinions. I agree Tav is the better player at the moment. Ross can develop into a terrific full back.

The trick for me is making sure we can replace the player...

So if Morelos goes who is the replacement - is he here already? lafferty - no he can’t. Defoe - play better as a team arguably. But imo we don’t have a 20-25 plus striker in the books so that means new player and there’s the risk.

Same with tav but due to being a right back I think he’s harder to replace.

That said 1.2/1.3mill spend and a return of x million can’t be sniffed at

Generally speaking and under normal circumstances our model has to be to sell

However breaking this Celtic dominance and ending this 9 or 10 in a row run is more important to us as fans and a club in my opinion

So short term (next season) we keep our best players and win the title. Players leave as league winners, players who stopped 9 and won us our first major trophy in almost a decade, fans are happy and we’re all winners

As long as Rangers are mired in the backwater that is the SPL, we need to reconcile ourselves to the fact that if we again start building successful teams that win titles and trophies with regularity, that each year key players from those teams will be sold off. For Rangers, future on-field success means that their players will immediately become the focus of transfer interest from mid-level EPL clubs, or increasingly, from cash-rich Championship teams eager to pursue promotion. Consequently, I doubt that we will ever again see a 'settled Rangers team, with players coming and players going regarded as the new norm.

Not that we are at their level but the example of Ajax comes to mind. Having just created a brilliant young team - who could only get better - they must now sit back and watch it be picked apart, or asset-stripped, by Europe's wealthy footballing elites.

In an ideal world we sell morelos for 15m as defoe is better anyway imo , I think we must keep tav if financially possible

I think Morellos is obviously going to be sold. But we cannot rely heavily on a 36/37 yr old Defoe. At that age, when decline sets it in, it sets in fast. Morellos needs to be replaced with somebody who is signed with the intention of being our first choice striker.

Reactions: MSF
I would love to keep tav as his goals and assists are invaluable, but wonder if he could be better if the burden of captaincy was removed from his shoulders. Alfie will probably go if the penny finally drops with his discipline.I don't think a decent team will take a chance on him.On the plus side would be happy enough if he stayed as he is only going to get better as he matures.

Sums this place up. How anyone can believe that selling your 30 goal striker makes you somehow better is beyond me. The only good reason would be for a good profit to reinvest in other areas but the lack of knowledge on here to what Morelos actually brings to the team is mental. There’s not many 30 goal strikers kicking about for the money that we paid for Morelos.
You think that could maybe be the reason mate? I’m gonna take a wild guess and say it is the reason!

You think that could maybe be the reason mate? I’m gonna take a wild guess and say it is the reason!

Aye mate it’s the reason that’s what I’m saying, probably didn’t word it right but you have others that seem desperate to sell him for other reasons. Your wild guess is correct.

Back