Serbia offer to host Spartak tie in Belgrade

Jogbear

According to the sun

RANGERS could become embroiled in an unwanted furore for their crucial Europa League second leg tie against Red Star Belgrade after Serbia offered to host Spartak Moscow's home game at the same time.

The Ibrox side have been drawn against Red Star for the Last 16 tie, with the first leg in Glasgow on March 10 and the return game in their famous Marakana Stadium the following week.

UEFA have banned Russian teams from hosting games following their invasion of Ukraine and Spartak Moscow will play RB Leipzig at the same stage of the competition at a yet-to-be-decided neutral venue.

Spartak must now find a country willing to host the game, which won't be easy with nearly all of Europe protesting against the actions of Russia.

However, Serbia are the only country in Europe - apart from Russian ally Belarus - who have not imposed any sanctions on Russia.

And their president has now told Spartak they would be welcome to play in Belgrade at the same time as Rangers play against Red Star Belgrade.

Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic said: "In Serbia, we have always been good hosts. If we can help solve some problems by hosting the Spartak Moscow game, then we have no problem with that.

"We offer them the best conditions and we would guarantee the safety of both formal hosts and guests. You have my word on that."

Why does it have to be Belgrade?

Aren't there other cities in Serbia with a football stadium?

Last edited:
How exactly does this effect Rangers? Serbia's a big country, they can find a venue for Spartak miles from Belgrade.

This should just be filed under media hysteria and ignored.
Not so sure. Serbia and Russia have many close ties, cultural, political and religious. They have always backed Russia, and vice versa. Russia acknowledge Serbia's claim ref Kosovo etc.

Nothing about Belgrade or being at the 'same time'.

Red Star have a friendship with Spartak Moscow and Partizan with CSKA. Partizan aren't going to let Spartak play at their stadium.

Russian clubs should all be booted out of all international competitions. Countries that aid Russia should have all of their clubs booted out of international competitions too.

Are they offering to host Ukrainian clubs’ games and if not, why not?

Cûnts.

All Russian teams should be thrown out of UEFA competitions. Bring it home to ordinary Russians as to what their madman has done.
They should be, but i wouldnt bet on it. UEFA and FIFA will be reluctant to take that action cos of Russian sponsorship money and also the fact that the russians wouldnt be shy in letting slip about how many delegates palms theyve greaed over the years. I reckon there will be a few arses twitchin at UEFA andFIFA.

Should be total sporting ban on all Russian clubs, athletes and organisations.

Exactly. I see a lot of posters asking what difference it makes, that will show them etc, but in reality it will make a difference. Ordinary Russians are being fed they story that this is a justified conflict, the truth is censored. However if the team they follow, or the athlete they idolise is not allowed to compete they may start to look at why - why if this is justified has the world turned against us?

It may make them ask questions, and they may not be happy with the answers.

They should be, but i wouldnt bet on it. UEFA and FIFA will be reluctant to take that action cos of Russian sponsorship money and also the fact that the russians wouldnt be shy in letting slip about how many delegates palms theyve greaed over the years. I reckon there will be a few arses twitchin at UEFA andFIFA.
I realise back in the day there wasn't the issue of losing large amounts of sponsorship, but UEFA - at least - have form for this.

Russia (and it's club teams) should be treated like Yugoslavia were in 1992.

Not so sure. Serbia and Russia have many close ties, cultural, political and religious. They have always backed Russia, and vice versa. Russia acknowledge Serbia's claim ref Kosovo etc.
So? Doesn’t mean they have to host it in the same city at the same time?

I realise back in the day there wasn't the issue of losing large amounts of sponsorship, but UEFA - at least - have form for this.

Russia (and it's club teams) should be treated like Yugoslavia were in 1992.
You are correct of course, thats what should happen. The problem is of course you are dealing with two totally corrupt bodies where money trumps morals every single time. They will only take this action if they are absolutely forced to.

Thats Poland refusing to play Russian in the world cup play off. Who would be shocked if UEFA didnt then give Russia a bye to the next round? Rules is rules and all that. It aint beyond those pricks.

I understand that and it's entirely natural that Serbia would aim to help "Big Brother".

But what's it got to do with Rangers, other than a desperate attempt to squeeze us into a story that doesn't concern is.

Thats Poland refusing to play Russian in the world cup play off. Who would be shocked if UEFA didnt then give Russia a bye to the next round? Rules is rules and all that. It aint beyond those pricks.

Me.
Because that would be insane.

Hold up. So Russia can’t compete in the olympics/Winter Olympics due to the doping scandals, instead individuals need to perform under the ROC banner

Yet football clubs are still allowed to compete in European competitions? UEFA are weak as piss

Hold up. So Russia can’t compete in the olympics/Winter Olympics due to the doping scandals, instead individuals need to perform under the ROC banner

Yet football clubs are still allowed to compete in European competitions? UEFA are weak as piss
UEFA dont care. If something makes or loses them money is what dictates every single decision they make.

Exactly. I see a lot of posters asking what difference it makes, that will show them etc, but in reality it will make a difference. Ordinary Russians are being fed they story that this is a justified conflict, the truth is censored. However if the team they follow, or the athlete they idolise is not allowed to compete they may start to look at why - why if this is justified has the world turned against us?

It may make them ask questions, and they may not be happy with the answers.
Agree 100%, sporting sanction is a very impactful way to send a message, especially to the average man in the street.

Genuine question though - is it really possible to keep the truth censored and manipulate an entire 1st world nation in this way and in this day an age?

We are seeing video clips, tweets etc.. posted by normal citizens and low level troops in remote areas minutes after the events have taken place during this conflict.
I get the state led propaganda effort to control the narrative and justify their actions, but surely the Russian citizens are already acutely aware of the world view on this conflict?

All Russian teams should be thrown out of UEFA competitions. Bring it home to ordinary Russians as to what their madman has done.
Sport maybe only way that ordinary Russians - and some of the rich ones - might be aware how vile their leaders actions are.

Should we be kicked out of European football because Sturgeon is pure fucking evil? It's not our fault she's a total lady's front bottom and it's not Russian footballs fault tht Putin is a prick.

Kick them out. Don't entertain any Russian teams, athletes, anything.
Unfair on the players who have nothing to do with this, at least for the remainder of this season. The governing bodies could do other things such as withhold the majority of prize money until conflict has been resolved, play fixtures in neutral countries, etc.

Should they have kicked the Russian tennis player who wrote "NO WAR PLEASE" on the camera after his tennis match the other day off the ATP Tour?

Imagine if Spartak went on and won the whole thing ...

giphy.gif

I know it will never be comparable in terms of personal suffering.

But imagine Rangers facing sanctions because of Sturgeon and her stupidity.
We would be having none of it.
Individual sports teams and athletes should not suffer because Putin is a wank.

I made this exact point on another thread and because it doesn't fit the narrative on here it didn't go down to well.

Back