Sergio Ramos: Red Cards

buster60

How did Sergio Ramos remain such an idol at Real Madrid considering he was sent off 26 times between 2005 and 2020?
Just been reading a report of all his red cards and the most contentious of these was awarded by guess who? Yip, by Willie Collum.
The red card was awarded after Collum reckoned he saw a professional foul on a Galatasaray attacker by Ramos and produced the red. This happened in a Champions League match in 2013. It is said that it was the most debatable sending off in his career. Now....that's a surprise considering Collum was the referee!!

Was Ramos vilified by the Madrid fans for his woeful disciplinary record in the same way as Morelos appears to be by a large section of Rangers fans? I'd be surprised to find that the Madrid fans were more tolerant of the dismal disciplinary record of one of their star players than we are of Alfie but it appears that they were. Why the difference?

How did Sergio Ramos remain such an idol at Real Madrid considering he was sent off 26 times between 2005 and 2020?
Just been reading a report of all his red cards and the most contentious of these was awarded by guess who? Yip, by Willie Collum.
The red card was awarded after Collum reckoned he saw a professional foul on a Galatasaray attacker by Ramos and produced the red. This happened in a Champions League match in 2013. It is said that it was the most debatable sending off in his career. Now....that's a surprise considering Collum was the referee!!

Was Ramos vilified by the Madrid fans for his woeful disciplinary record in the same way as Morelos appears to be by a large section of Rangers fans? I'd be surprised to find that the Madrid fans were more tolerant of the dismal disciplinary record of one of their star players than we are of Alfie but it appears that they were. Why the difference?
Ramos got away with it because he was one of the best defenders in world football for most of those years.

Not really comparable.

Ramos was one of the greatest defenders of all time, he won the World Cup and Euros with his country, led Real Madrid to 4 Champions Leagues as well as countless other honours, I would suggest that’s the reason he wasn’t vilified.

Ffs I have heard it all now.

Ramos led Madrid to countless Champions League titles and La Ligas

Morelos is a huffy SPFL striker who has continued to be problematic purely down to petulance. All the goals doesn’t excuse that

If Morelos ever reaches the level of Ramos he can get as many red cards as he wants.

You get the impression Morelos might think he is that level though

Ramos was one of the greatest defenders of all time, he won the World Cup and Euros with his country, led Real Madrid to 4 Champions Leagues as well as countless other honours, I would suggest that’s the reason he wasn’t vilified.
It must feel special to players when they think back and say to themselves, ‘won the World Cup, won the Euros and won the Champions League’. Can only imagine how that would feel. Talk about making football dreams come true. Ramos did that.

There's a list of his important goals for Real and that would explain it (plus the fact he's a fantastic player, even though a bit of a prick on the pitch).

Even the extra time header against Atletico in the CL alone would suffice imo.

Why the difference? Haha.

Sergio Ramos won lorry loads of trophies for Real Madrid. Many as captain. Alfredo Morelos has won 1 trophy with us. Ramos has never f8cked off for summer and come back out of shape either I imagine. But then again, we have some posters who straight up say Morelos has never had his weight change.

Some posters on here must really view Morelos as some sort of Laudrup/Cooper/Gough figure beyond reproach. We have people on here greeting claiming he is "hated" by supporters. He has been given the most amount of love and attention from the support for any player I can remember to be quite honest. God forbid anyone slates how often he has let us down or there will be a shit fit from some.

I imagine Alfie is still revered by the majority of Rangers fans despite his indiscretions at the weekend, and apparently lack of fitness to date.

The Hibs game is still fresh in the mind. There have been fitness concerns and attitude concerns in the past with regards to Alfie, and yet he has always wound it in and come back firing.

It’s why the majority of Rangers fans still love him. Because he is still our best player and makes the entire team tick when he is on it.

I still like Alfie simply for what he's done for us although I could do without the daft moments but to compare him to Ramos is simply ridiculous :D

Ramos is a player who will go down as a legendary player for Real Madrid and Spain, Alfie probably has no chance of that for Colombia and he'll certainly be known as a good player who did a job here but not a legend

It must feel special to players when they think back and say to themselves, ‘won the World Cup, won the Euros and won the Champions League’. Can only imagine how that would feel. Talk about making football dreams come true. Ramos did that.
Some career, Iniesta too, as well as winning the lot, I believe he is the only player to have been motm in the Champions League, World Cup and European Championship finals.

Some career, Iniesta too, as well as winning the lot, I believe he is the only player to have been motm in the Champions League, World Cup and European Championship finals.
Can you just imagine it. From the dreams in a playground, to that. Phenomenal

He’s a defender whereas Morelos is a striker therefore it should be far more likely for a defender to get sent off than a striker. Add to fact we were down to 10 men, knowing this he still threw his arm around the way he did just adds to the stupidity of his sending off. Morelos’s actions are indefensible on this occasion and only has himself to blame for missing out on the PSV trip.
We are going to have to look beyond relying on him and adapt our style to suit as he’s let us down too often and in my opinion we have held onto him for too long, with hindsight we may have been better to take the offer from Lille when we had the chance but I say that with a heavy heart as aside from his antics he has been a great ST for us.
He’s going to have to work harder than he ever has to win back his place and so he should

Willie Woodburn got sine die after got sent off 4 times However things were a wee bit different then

This is true.

Madrid fans loved him as he gave everything for the club and was a defender of the clubs traditions. Plenty of those reds were taking one from the team.
Real Madrid LOVE effort

Remember Jonathon Woodgate when he signed?

Took ages for him to get his debut due to injury, then FINALLY he played, and on his first appearance he scored an O.G and got sent off

Real Madrid fans still regard him highly, why? Because first of all he took the time and effort to learn Spanish and every game he busted a gut for the team

Injuries though ended his time there.

Back of the net!

Ramos got away with it because he was one of the best defenders in world football for most of those years.

Not really comparable.
And you will find that if Madrid were down to 10 men and winning with 15 minutes left, he wouldn't be stupid enough to get himself sent off and cause his team to lose vital points.

Real Madrid

La Liga: 2006–07, 2007–08, 2011–12, 2016–17, 2019–20
Copa del Rey: 2010–11, 2013–14
Supercopa de España: 2008, 2012, 2017, 2019–20
UEFA Champions League: 2013–14, 2015–16, 2016–17, 2017–18
UEFA Super Cup: 2014, 2016, 2017
FIFA Club World Cup: 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018

Add to that 1 World Cup and 2 European Championships for Spain.

When you win that you can pretty much do what you want and you will always be a legend

There would have been a fair few of those red cards "taking one for the team". The man is the ultimate winner, a total hero

Real Madrid haven’t got as many bangers in their support as us.
The notion that Rangers fans are not as loyal to their players as Real Madrid (!) are to theirs is f*cking hilarious. Essentially points towards someone knowing next to nothing about football.

Why the difference? Haha.

Sergio Ramos won lorry loads of trophies for Real Madrid. Many as captain. Alfredo Morelos has won 1 trophy with us. Ramos has never f8cked off for summer and come back out of shape either I imagine. But then again, we have some posters who straight up say Morelos has never had his weight change.

Some posters on here must really view Morelos as some sort of Laudrup/Cooper/Gough figure beyond reproach. We have people on here greeting claiming he is "hated" by supporters. He has been given the most amount of love and attention from the support for any player I can remember to be quite honest. God forbid anyone slates how often he has let us down or there will be a shit fit from some.
This.

Two reasons Ramos was one of if not the best CB on earth during that time and secondly he was never for a second a fat out of shape mess incapable of putting in the performances the club required of him

Not really comparable.
It kind of is if you're talking about 'levels'. Real Madrid are Ramos level, and Morelos is Rangers level... and the best striker we've had undabatible since Jelavic.

Not really comparable.
Exactly.

Plus, Ramos tending to get sent off for fouls or repeat fouls and usually done at a calculated level for the team.

Morelos was, is and forever will be a liability due to his stupidity.

It kind of is if you're talking about 'levels'. Real Madrid are Ramos level, and Morelos is Rangers level... and the best striker we've had undabatible since Jelavic.
It’s not even close.

Most reds I seen Ramos got were to make sure they were going to win a game. Last man cynical fouls etc.

Alfie’s red cards are always selfish, petulant reactions.

It’s not even close.

Most reds I seen Ramos got were to make sure they were going to win a game. Last man cynical fouls etc.

Alfie’s red cards are always selfish, petulant reactions.
Am meaning levels as in Ramos played for Real Madrid for a reason and Morelos plays for us. As in saying Ramos being one of the best defenders in the world is irrelevant if you're talking about levels.

Because the man trained like a Beast when he wasnt playing due to injury or suspension he didnt patch his responsibilities like some we know .

Plus he was probably fit after every off season and didn’t constantly require the help of sports scientists to ditch extra pounds.

Ramos is a world class defender, we're no making this comparison are we?

Every red he ever took stopped an attack, or took someone important out of the game and Madrid benefited.

I fear for football when Willie Collum eventually retires.
He sees himself as the brightest star, the main attraction and big box office, the game has to be about him.
How will it survive when its star has gone?
It will put a job advert out on all RC school RE department notice boards to alert all prospective "professional mistake makers" of the vacancy.

Back