Shankland worth a punt ?

Looking forward to the lad getting called up for the national team, even a negative coach like ours cant ignore him any longer, just to hear people saying aye but hes no good enough for Brazil.

I'm disappointed we didn't sign him to be honest. He may not be a technically all round brilliant footballer but he appears to do what he does extremely well.

He may have been a goal machine for us, or prove that he was completely out his depth. Worth it for me to have taken a punt.

Worth a punt ? Who knows for sure ,that's why it's called a punt.

Scoring plenty though and if he continues to do well someone will take that" punt".

A really decent striker who will put a high percentage of chances in the net,
Like every other striker the more chances that are created for him the more he will score,

Love it when people say "buy him, try him and then punt him for money in a year if it doesn't work out"

We can't attract a fúcking bid for our own 30 goal striker never mind Shankland. We'd be paying Shankland off to go elsewhere next year. It's what we do. We're hopeless at getting fees because of the wages we're paying players.

The one you speak of is overpaid and comes with baggage. Don’t pay him big dough until he proves himself.

The one you speak of is overpaid and comes with baggage. Don’t pay him big dough until he proves himself.

Overpaid and comes with baggage (mainly down to cheating officiating and Rangers hating media) yet is a top class striker who continually digs us out the shite.

If Morelos played for the bheggars the whole of Scotland would love him and there is no way referees target him.

Overpaid and comes with baggage (mainly down to cheating officiating and Rangers hating media) yet is a top class striker who continually digs us out the shite.

If Morelos played for the bheggars the whole of Scotland would love him and there is no way referees target him.

Wasn’t meaning Morelos and I didn’t think SDF was either.
Re- read the post, I picked him up wrong. Didn’t think we were actively looking to attract bids for the wee man. Whereas we are for Laff.

Just wondering what other people think about Lawrence Shankland as a backup striker , we saw against Aberdeen that when Morelos and big Laff are both out we are worryingly short of options up top. His record this year is superb 35 goals in 38 apps is a good return at any level , and not many current spl strikers would have that scoring rate Playing for Ayr. I know he probably won’t take us to the next level in Europe but would do a job against most spl teams, Before anyone compares him to Nicky Clark ( heard this many times whenever we are linked with strikers from smaller teams ) Clark never had as good a record and doesn’t look anywhere near as good.

Shanklands contract is up in June so even a bid of a few hundred thousand Ayr would struggle to knock back or risk losing him on a free in summer , as a bonus he was apparently a season ticket holder at Ibrox when he was younger so he’d be desperate for a chance at Ibrox , thoughts ?
B2ZfIIA.gif

I said last last year we should've got him,very low risk and potential gold mine. but got shot down,seems like some on here think they're Alex Ferguson when it comes to opinions on players.

We used to sign prospects like this from provincial clubs and coached and trained them to a higher standard making them better players. I think Shankland is one of those rare commodities blessed with a prodigious inherent talent as a goal scorer. (Albeit didn’t cut it at the sheep, which has rightly raised a degree of caution in some of our number)

To that end I think with the level of coaching and fitness which would come with joining us he might well turn out to be another Rangers supporting goal machine. (Definitely worth a punt imho)

Probably the best player in Scotland outside us and them. Would rather him than naismith. Better than the big clogger Aberdeen have imo.

Every team in the SPL knew he was leaving Ayr, every team in the SPL could afford him, and yet not a single team went for him. It's bizarre that folk think he'd be good enough for us when the crap in our league didn't think he was good enough for them.

Every team in the SPL knew he was leaving Ayr, every team in the SPL could afford him, and yet not a single team went for him. It's bizarre that folk think he'd be good enough for us when the crap in our league didn't think he was good enough for them.

Im not sure all the sides could afford him he seems to be on pretty good money at utd, id say they are still a bigger club than maybe half the sides in our league. Also if they are crap as you put it then chances are they have crap managers that are more interested in defending than scoring goals. I couldnt really care less what fans of hearts or hibs, motherwell, think about anything right enough but im sure a good few are already wondering why they didnt go for him. Cant see Scotland ignoring him much longer he has to be in that squad soon.

Im not sure all the sides could afford him he seems to be on pretty good money at utd, id say they are still a bigger club than maybe half the sides in our league. Also if they are crap as you put it then chances are they have crap managers that are more interested in defending than scoring goals. I couldnt really care less what fans of hearts or hibs, motherwell, think about anything right enough but im sure a good few are already wondering why they didnt go for him. Cant see Scotland ignoring him much longer he has to be in that squad soon.
Every single team is out there looking for goal scoring strikers. Despite that no decent teams came in for him. Those managers can't all be wrong. People are getting excited about him scoring 4 goals yesterday but 40 year old Stephen Dobbie was rattling in a fair few hat-tricks last season in that league.

If he is then why did no SPL teams take him??

Id guess thats probably a question that fans and the board at some premiership clubs are asking theres no much doubt the lad is good enough to at least play for any of the diddy sides.

I'm not sure many could have afforded him. I heard he got a bumper signing on fee from someone close to ayr united first team. No idea if the reported fee is true though

Hes not good enough.
A bench warmer if he even made it for us so whats the big fuss.

Play him before alf or defoe .... no chance

Back