Shankland

Hold up, are you saying that buying players 'with a view to selling for a hefty profit' has worked for us over the past 5-6 years?

This mythical player trading model is almost entirely contingent upon winning leagues and European success.

Nobody is going to buy second rate duds from the SPFL at inflated prices. Whoever we are buying has to be part of a title winning side or a side that is consistently excellent at top level (i.e. European), else they need to be the second coming of Laudrup to be sold at huge profit.

Whether you want to buy to sell, or buy to win, we still need players that win us leagues and a core squad who are here for the long term to sustain that success.

The idea we're going to sign 3 or 4 Calvin Basseys every year, win the league and punt them for £10m profit is ludicrous.

I'm not saying Shankland is the difference between winning or not winning the league, but if we can sign someone that can easily score 15-20 goals, who is around the national side, has 3-4 good years left in him and is a Rangers man, it's kinda a no-brainer to have a guy like that in the squad.
The filth have done reasonably well over the past few years with that model.

This thread is really proof - if it were needed - that some fans know very little about what’s needed to win a title in Scotland.

Can’t really blame them given the last 14 years in fairness.

Weirdly, my son and I were talking about this today. I wonder if we'd still be ahead if we'd signed him, given the chances we create but don't have the strikers to finish them.

Wins player of the year. Top scorer in the league. And some fans wouldn’t want him.

In some ways I actually get it. If you’re 20 and under you don’t know really know what it’s like to see a successful Rangers win titles let alone the bedrock of the club being built on successful Scottish players.

Wins player of the year. Top scorer in the league. And some fans wouldn’t want him.

In some ways I actually get it. If you’re 20 and under you don’t know really know what it’s like to see a successful Rangers win titles let alone the bedrock of the club being built on successful Scottish players.
Michael Higdon won player of the year and was top scorer. Did you want us to sign him?

Bedrock of a successful Rangers side is a striker that has in his entire career at now 28 years old has nly once scored more than 12 goals from open in a season in top flight football? One that has an average of 8 goals from open play a season in top flight footbal? And has now gone nearly 3 months without a goal from open play?

Since Shankland last scored form open play, Dessers has scored 7 and Dessers is not the answer long term either.

He's had one purple patch of goal scoring from open play, which is finished, and has padded his stats outwith that massively with penalties, of which he wouldn't take for us.

He's nowhere near good enough.

This thread is really proof - if it were needed - that some fans know very little about what’s needed to win a title in Scotland.

Can’t really blame them given the last 14 years in fairness.
A striker with one purple patch and has an average of 8 goals from open play a season in his top flight career at 28 years old? That's what it takes?

Or one who in his best every season, purple patch of you will, goes from February onwards without a single goal from open play until now? That would sure help?

When did we last win a title with a first choice striker who contributes that little from open play?

Last edited:
I don't think that is the model. It's true that every player has his price and can be sold if the price is right. But every team must have a blend of potential and experience to be successful. If you only buy players for their future potential value you'll have a squad who will get better in the future - but what about NOW? The best recent example is Davie Weir. He was 37 when he joined us on a short term contract. His transfer value was modest but he played 162 games for us over 5 years. Now there aren't too many of him around but it shows the principle that experienced players with little sell on value create their own value within a squad. Greegs is another example. Rejoined us at 36 and played 141 games with a low resale value. They of course are the minority, no team should be stacked with players of a similar ilk. But a couple is not a problem indeed it's probably necessary for success.
We were told that we would be looking at getting younger players in with a sell on value. Personally, as long as they're good enough and the experienced players have actual experience of being successful, i dont mind. Not a guy who had one purple patch in his career.

There were folk on here who wanted us to sign Kevin Van Veen based on one season where he had a purple patch. He currently can't get a game for Killie.

I'd sign Shankland, preferably as third choice striker behind Danilo and another. He's out of contract in 2025 so you'd hope to get him for £1M - £1.5M rather than £3M - £4M (which would have been too rich for us in January anyway).

On one view, he'd be playing against jobbers dropping deep and sitting with 9 - 10 men behind the ball so he wouldn't have the same space he gets at Hearts. On the other hand, he'd get more chances. His finishing with his head and feet are good, and he knows the league and the opposition well.

Weirdly, my son and I were talking about this today. I wonder if we'd still be ahead if we'd signed him, given the chances we create but don't have the strikers to finish them.
He's not scored form open play since February, he's missing more sitters than Dessers including the one Vs the filth just past.

I'd sign Shankland, preferably as third choice striker behind Danilo and another. He's out of contract in 2025 so you'd hope to get him for £1M - £1.5M rather than £3M - £4M (which would have been too rich for us in January anyway).

On one view, he'd be playing against jobbers dropping deep and sitting with 9 - 10 men behind the ball so he wouldn't have the same space he gets at Hearts. On the other hand, he'd get more chances. His finishing with his head and feet are good, and he knows the league and the opposition well.
Danilo, that's a woww

We were told that we would be looking at getting younger players in with a sell on value. Personally, as long as they're good enough and the experienced players have actual experience of being successful, i dont mind. Not a guy who had one purple patch in his career.
Yes but no one said that all the players would be younger with an increasing sales value. An optimum model could be to sell 2 or 3 higher value players each season. In a successful player trading system that could bring in £20/30m, perhaps more, a year without disrupting the squad too much. In a first team squad of say 20/22 players that’s an average player cycle of between 7 to 11 years. To reduce that cycle, player turnover would need to be much higher and we know it can take a while for new players to settle in.

Oh look at you my fancy stats that’s seen us never dominate Scottish football lol
Wanting us to sign a jobber with one half of a good season Infront of goal, excluding penalties in his top flight career says you might have forgotten what it takes to win titles. We've never had a successful side, with a main striker as poor and as unproductive Infront of goal as him.

Not only is he slow as a week in jail, he rarely assists and has scored more than 12 only once in the top flight in a season excluding penalties and averages 8 goals a season in outwith penalties in the top flight too.

He's also not scored since February outwith penalties.

In no way at all is he someone who'd see us any closer to dominating Scottish football.

After Clements comments a few weeks back regarding our January transfer business it was clear there was no funds available for permanent deals.

FWIW if we could do a deal for Shankland this Summer in the region of 1.5m and the wages were right I would do it. We need a reliable backup and I think he would offer this.

The filth have done reasonably well over the past few years with that model.
Post figures of their net spend and wages please and back your claim up. Remember to include the likes of Barkas, Shved, Klimala, Ajeti etc. Otherwise you're havering.

Back