Should Barker get punted before the window closes?

Doesnt look up to the standard we require. Quite a strange signing altogether for me, management and coaches obviously believed he had the raw talent that they could bring on but not seeing much evidence of that. I imagine he’ll be here til the Summer, 6 months is a long time in football so lets see if hes offered anything by then and if not, move him on.

Shocking technique and strange gait. He’s probably only slept with a footballer. Never one in a million years

I’d say yes. Just doesn’t look that great. Can’t beat a man and for a wide player that’s not brilliant.

A slightly better Grezda but that’s not exactly a glowing compliment.

I'm all for giving players a chance but I really can't see what he has to offer. He couldn't even get into the Hibs team when he was there.

I don't see anything in Barker worth keeping. However, I'm trying to be more patient. Gerrard and Team must have seen something in him. We should also consider Jones performance against Stranraer. Was that rustiness or has he lost something? Neither looked ideal and we do need cover within the squad.

I meant more as an established first team player. Barker is 23, we are his 6th club and he’s never managed more than 30 goals a season.

he was good away in Porto but has never kicked in from it and was awful v Porto at home

I take it that was a typo, because he's never managed more than 3 goals in a season.

Find it strange he seems to be preferred to Stewart. Like others have said, we'd have been as well keeping Hastie as I'm sure he'd benefit more from being in and around the squad.

I’m perplexed with the Barker situation, he wasn’t that good an option in the first place but I‘d hoped the scouting and management team seen something in him to push on to another level But it hasn’t kicked in yet and he’s seen as a better option than Stewart.

I‘ll let the manager decide on this one as he sees the squad in training, I’m just going on fleeting appearances which haven’t been up to much so far.

I think a lot of criticism is flung his way,
He looks to me like a boy who had electric pace, then has had some hamstring issues and isn’t able to rely on that pace anymore. In fact, he looks so one paced it’s unbelievable that he’s the same boy who played against us for Hibs. Add to that he’s shown zero moments of real quality (that I can recall) and it’s looking bleak.
for all the criticism Ojo gets at least he has contributed goals and assists

Yes I’d let him go.
Clearly a Mark Allen signing imo

don’t know how he gets more game time than G Stewart tbh

I don't see anything in Barker worth keeping. However, I'm trying to be more patient. Gerrard and Team must have seen something in him. We should also consider Jones performance against Stranraer. Was that rustiness or has he lost something? Neither looked ideal and we do need cover within the squad.
I think you need to give jones a few weeks of getting game time to shake the rustiness as he was looking pretty decent pre injury. I'd rather recall Hastie for cover if it were an option.

Yes. Not been impressed with him at all, cant believe hes started un Europe and against the scum ahead of the likes of stewart and Jones (albeit Jones was injured)
When did he start against the scum?

And his starts in Europe have been his best games.

Actually when you look at his 4 starts (2x Porto, St Johnstone, Motherwell) they've been his best games for us. Perhaps it's the sub role that he struggles with - takes too long to get up to speed in a match when coming on and have an effect on the outcome, as opposed to the natural feel for a game you get when starting.

From the beginning it felt a bit like a making up the numbers transfer. I haven't seen much of him so will try not to be overly critical. He barely featured when both Kent and Jones were injured and I think that speaks for itself

I struggle to see why Jamie Murphy is out on loan and we have still have Brandon Barker
I said it from the start that I thought he was not the best (pc correct) and nothing he has done has changed my mind

haven’t seen anything to make me think he can contribute to the second half of the season. Would put him out on loan to give him game time.

I think you need to give jones a few weeks of getting game time to shake the rustiness as he was looking pretty decent pre injury. I'd rather recall Hastie for cover if it were an option.
Rustiness is one thing. Jones lacked effort and that is unforgivable.

Rustiness is one thing. Jones lacked effort and that is unforgivable.
Fair point, no excuse for not giving your all, this should be especially true when you know you have competition for the same position. I'll still give Jones a few more weeks yet as he at least showed it pre injury, Barker for me has showed nothing with the exception of 1 game where he was decent but not amazing. If he stays he has really got to pull his finger out and justify the gaffers faith in him. As much as I'm unimpressed by him, I'd be delighted if he were to shut everyone of us doubters up.

1. Jones had a good game v Midtjylland so deserves time. Barker had a good game v Porto. They're about even there.

2. Clearly a Mark Allen signing.
Why? Cause it hasn't worked? Barisic was deemed an Allen signing right up until he came good.

3. He lacks confidence.
Maybe we, as a support, should try supporting whoever is in the jersey then, give them that confidence to go and play? Just an idea. It'll never catch on

4. We can't afford passengers.
I agree entirely. But that's all passengers, not just the whopping boy of the week

5. Murphy should have been kept.
Murphy was a decent player. He's been out for a year with a horrible injury. We don't see what happens on the training pitch, but my guess would be that he's just not showing it. I doubt the manager is going to have someone absolutely ripping it up in training and not play them.

6. He should be punted ASAP. He's had loads of chances.
Barker has played around 450 mins of football for us in 5 months.
Incidentally, JJ has played more despite being injured for 3 months, but people are on record on here saying he deserves more time to prove his worth.

I haven't been impressed with Barker, but he deserves a fair crack of the whip, as does anyone who pulls on our jersey. Others seem to be afforded more patience.

Back