Should The Term Old Firm Be Banned....

I think the club still refer to it as such.

The bheasts only refer to it as a glasgow derby in their official media to appease their hordes.

It is a term used world wide for our city derby.

We are Rangers fans, of course we hate them, that is the nature of the rivalry.

Say that name anywhere and people know exactly what you are talking about. Not sure how you would go about banning it.

I don't personally care either way.

I think it says a lot about them that they're always going on about it - they need to feel close to us even in hatred to justify their smelly existence. So much so that they're constantly correcting people that say "Old Firm"

They care a lot more about us than we do about them.

I just call it 'The Derby'.

Amazes me that they have hijacked the 'No Old Firm' thing as if it was their idea. In reality loads of people have stopped using it for years.

I always think the Old Firm definition is nonsense. Unless it is suggesting my firm belief that they are the spawn of Satan himself sent as a test of our patience by God the Proddy.

I would, I fecking hate the term.

We should never use it as it associates us with the scum child molesting barstewards.

I'm used to it but I've found myself consciously trying to avoid it so not to get grief from the more staunch element of our support.

Doesn't really bother me one way or the other, don't use the term myself

I never used to use it for some of the reasons outlined above (being linked to them etc.) but now that I see how much it winds up the puddle drinkers, I exclusively use it around them :D They really don't like it

It doesn't in any way mean it's us and them.
It's us against them.

Get it banned?
What's going to happen to anyone who uses it?

If you say "old firm", people around the world know what you're referring to. There's no way sky would stop calling it that anyway.

To me, it's still the old firm.

No, banning it would be daft.

1. It annoys the obsessed mob who refuse to acknowledge we are the same club. Let's keep annoying them, it's fun.

2. It is a term acknowledged worldwide for the Glasgow Derby and we would be ill advised to try and destroy a "brand" that is as immediately recognisable and has such recognition. We are, like it or not, part of that brand and Rangers need to keep hold of anything that helps build our own image, profile and revenue stream globally. If we can do that through association with the well know "Old Firm" brand through the media and elsewhere, we should do so.

3. Our club use the term because they recognise the point made in point 2 above. If it's good enough for our club, I'm happy for us to continue to use the term.

It's an odd thing to get annoyed about.

No one is suggesting that by using 'Old Firm' we are somehow associated with Celtic - it's simply a term used to denote a match between the two biggest and most successful teams in Scotland.

There are numerous derbies across the world which similarly use a collective term to describe their derby.

I try avoid using it when I can, sometimes it's easier to type out old firm rather than Rangers v filth all the time.

Rarely use it when talking now right enough.

I didn't realise it annoyed them so much, so I'll start saying it more often.

It certainly doesn't bother me but I more commonly say the bheast or filth game :D

The mentally challengeds seem to be annoyed by it.

Anything that annoys them and does us no harm is good.

Originally coined as a derogatory phrase in a newspaper to describe how both clubs raked in the cash.
With them charging us 50 quid for the Piggery and us charging them 50 quid for Ibrox I'd say the term is still relevant.

Never use it now, too cuddly for this bear. If im being kind to them, it's filth fc or scum.
I did hear on the old board that the scum have stopped using it for same reason.

It was originally a term used by others to refer to us and them. 'Banning' it (was the OP after a ban for posters using it or anticipating legislation from Holyrood?!) would be a bit irrelevant in that basis.
Is there nothing more important to be worrying about?

Last edited:
Don't use it myself, but it doesn't bother me to see others using it. On the other hand I find it difficult to say or write the word "Celtic", at least without using a sweary word before or after.

As far as I'm lead to believe the term was originally used to convey the fact that Rangers and Celtc had things sewn up in a Scottish football sense. Basically running a cartel with one club backing the other in any important votes of the day. Being the two big fish in the small pond that was Scottish football, I suppose this was inevitable. However since the bastards tried to murder us I would argue that the term The Old Firm is well and truly defunct.

It's the name of the derby/rivalry. I find it petty as %^*& refusing to use it, the fact the time don't use it in their media sums up the pettiness. Same for all this "obsessed" patter. They are our main rivals in every sense of the word and we should always look out for their results to see them slip up etc. It's the way it's always been. Enjoy the rivalry, enjoy hating them and loving Rangers. It's part of the fun.

It is a term used world wide for our city derby.

We are Rangers fans, of course we hate them, that is the nature of the rivalry.

Say that name anywhere and people know exactly what you are talking about. Not sure how you would go about banning it.
You of course can't ban it but if we as a support stop using it over time it will disappear from our vocabulary, it wont change for people outside of Scotland but we can make it clear that there is no link expect the rivalry with the dhims

Eh ? we don't have anything in common with Celtic? What a load of bollocks. Rangers v Celtic is known as the old firm derby so what's changed or annoyed folk to pretend it doesn't exist?
I

Back