Sima Is Training Individually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Game tied with 20 to go, tiredness and nerves kicking in and Matondo comes on...nobody can tell me that isn't a substitution that will give us some hope
And them fear. His goal was a cracker and a surprise to the monobrows. I would be tempted to start him just to pin them back a wee bit for fear he breaks away and scores.

What's your thinking with that mate?

Do you think Clement sees him as a viable option wide left or is it as some have suggested, that part of the loan deal is that he has to start a high number of games?
Highly likely he has condition in his loan deal that he has to play a certain amount, if he goes there and starts his diving and rolling about routine again Clement should haul him off immediately. Was an absolute rid neck at Ibrox from a supposed premier league level player.

Highly likely he has condition in his loan deal that he has to play a certain amount, if he goes there and starts his diving and rolling about routine again Clement should haul him off immediately. Was an absolute rid neck at Ibrox from a supposed premier league level player.
Wasn’t that much of a rid neck when he won us a penalty to get us back in the game, then made a tremendous run to set up what should have been an equaliser if the ref and VAR hadn’t fecked us.

Are we in danger of seeing too many ‘luxury’ players start also?

Silva, Cantwell etc. if it’s going wrong quick, it’ll be like playing with a man down.

One of them will clearly start, but I’d be tempted to bench Cantwell to ensure a robust midfield

Wasn’t that much of a rid neck when he won us a penalty to get us back in the game, then made a tremendous run to set up what should have been an equaliser if the ref and VAR hadn’t fecked us.
Youre expecting a hell of a lot more from a guy that has been a big money wonderkid in the premier league though, two decent moments and smart play to win the pen but over the period of his loan he hasn't contributed enough at all. Im referring to his rolling about the ground patter when i say rid neck.

Youre expecting a hell of a lot more from a guy that has been a big money wonderkid in the premier league though, two decent moments and smart play to win the pen but over the period of his loan he hasn't contributed enough at all. Im referring to his rolling about the ground patter when i say rid neck.
I definitely agree he should be doing far more mate, no questions, he has been very average since joining us.

Horrible options tbh.

You can easily make a case for a Gerrard style
4-3-2-1, with Lundstram Diomande and Sterling/Raskin playing centrally, with Cantwell and Lawrence playing narrow behind Dessers.

Tavernier and Yilmaz providing the width.
I would be fine with that. I am not sure you can get make much more out of the squad right now.

Nice and compact in the middle as well, could nullify their mid field three although does compact become narrow and leave Tav overly exposed?

I guess compact or narrow can be overcome if our attitude is correct and we are playing on the front foot. If we have the right amount of fight and want it more the formation becomes less important.

Last edited:

Silva, Cantwell etc. if it’s going wrong quick, it’ll be like playing with a man down.

One of them will clearly start, but I’d be tempted to bench Cantwell to ensure a robust midfield
Agreed. I think it will be Silva or Cantwell, most likely Silva.

McCausland on the right (assuming Sima doesn’t make it) and Sterling as part of a midfield 3 with Diomande and Lundstram.

We need to win be we can’t be carrying passengers and need to be robust in midfield. Pick our moments and we’ll beat them.

Players roll around all the time (Furahashi, Maeda, Johnston and Hatate spring to mind) and Scottish Media still praise them for their play - they say it's just clever play, strange how that changes when it is a Rangers player rolling around.

I definitely agree he should be doing far more mate, no questions, he has been very average since joining us.
I just hope we dont have another Ross Wilson as DOF that gets a hard on for prem players thinking they will come up here and run riot. It just never turns out to be the case as we've seen over and over again lol

Clement had a mare himself in the last game v them with a highly suspect team selection.

Remains to be seen if he’s learned from that

I wasn't overly fussed with the line up last time. I was more concerned with the rabbit in the headlights attitude from the players in the first half more than anything else.

Players roll around all the time (Furahashi, Maeda, Johnston and Hatate spring to mind) and Scottish Media still praise them for their play - they say it's just clever play, strange how that changes when it is a Rangers player rolling around.
I agree with you 100% mate especially in kyogo's case but i think the problem is silva isnt very good at doing it B-)

Personally I prefer the idea of Sterling wide right to help pin their left side that has given Tav nightmares. I do see merit of him in the middle however to mark McGregor but I actually think that job could also be done by Raskin or Diomande.

The main one for me is having Ridvan fit. I think he is key to our current system. He inverts to support when required, has good recovery pace and isn't scared of a battle.

Regardless of where Sterling starts we need a solid midfield line up. For me it's either Sterling in the middle, Cantwell/McCausland off the right or it's Sterling off the right but Raskin comes into the three.

I reckon Silva starts either way off the left.

For me, favoured formations only work if you have the players available who fit that system.
4-2-3-1 relies so much on creativity and goals from the 2 wide players and the number 10, as well as having defensive solidity from the 2 centre backs and the 2 in front of them.

If we had in form, fit and available wingers, our best central defenders playing, and 2 holding midfielders capable of winning the battle, then it would be the way to go. But we don't have any of that

So, we need to use a formation that makes the most of what we do have.

I think that's a 4-3-2-1 which uses the dreaded "two number 10s" that Beale liked, with 3 screening the defence, and width sacrificed to the full backs with the holding players covering them when they go forward.

Something like

Butland

Tavernier
Souttar
Davies
Yilmaz

Sterling
Lundstram
Raskin or Diomande

Cantwell
Lawrence

Dessers

We need to win, so it feels wrong not to play wingers. But we only win if we first take the midfield.

The success we had in these fixtures under Gerrard for me was down to the midfield selection. We done our best work with Davis, Jack and Kamara in there. None of them gifted with flair but you were confident in winning that battle. For that reason Sterling should be played in the centre with Diomande and one of Raskin/Lundstram.

If you want Lawrence or Cantwell in there then play narrow in the attack with both off Dessers, if you prefer width then Mccausland and Silva be the options.

If Silva plays like he did v Benfica away then he's not a luxury. He was like a man possessed. Let's hope he feels he has something to prove tomorrow as well.

What's your thinking with that mate?

Do you think Clement sees him as a viable option wide left or is it as some have suggested, that part of the loan deal is that he has to start a high number of games?

The former, pal. Clement sees him as our best option out there and it would be a shock if he dropped out given he played well last week.

He gave Johnston a hard time in the last game at Ibrox.

For me, favoured formations only work if you have the players available who fit that system.
4-2-3-1 relies so much on creativity and goals from the 2 wide players and the number 10, as well as having defensive solidity from the 2 centre backs and the 2 in front of them.

If we had in form, fit and available wingers, our best central defenders playing, and 2 holding midfielders capable of winning the battle, then it would be the way to go. But we don't have any of that

So, we need to use a formation that makes the most of what we do have.

I think that's a 4-3-2-1 which uses the dreaded "two number 10s" that Beale liked, with 3 screening the defence, and width sacrificed to the full backs with the holding players covering them when they go forward.

Something like

Butland

Tavernier
Souttar
Davies
Yilmaz

Sterling
Lundstram
Raskin or Diomande

Cantwell
Lawrence

Dessers

We need to win, so it feels wrong not to play wingers. But we only win if we first take the midfield.
We don't have any wingers anyway, certainly not any that are fit enough to start by the looks of it so we would just be playing ones further down the pecking order purely for the sake of a favoured shape that won't do us any favours in midfield anyway.

I am on board with the 4-3-2-1 as well because I think it suits us far better in this game, we have the players fit to play it and it allows us the creativity of Cantwell and Lawrence without any of them playing in midfield.

We need to do something different and it's very much a Betis situation of needing to win the game.

I don’t know how anyone could possibly say this based on performances this season. I like Raskin and hope he will come good again but he has lost his way and been poor this season. Whereas Lundstram has been one of our best performers. Mind blowing to suggest Raskin should come in for Lunny. I would bey a significant amount that it won’t even have entered the manager’s thoughts to make that change.
Lundstram struggles immensely in the build up

Raskin for all his faults is a decent bit more comfortable than Lundstram there

It’s not outlandish to say our buildup would be a lot better with Raskin in it

I just hope we dont have another Ross Wilson as DOF that gets a hard on for prem players thinking they will come up here and run riot. It just never turns out to be the case as we've seen over and over again lol
I’m not sure Koppen will go that route. Going by Cortes, I’d say that is a very PSV type signing, young winger from Central/South America looking to be developed, and sold for big money 2 years down the line. Add the names mentioned already, including a player and agent tour, then it looks unlikely. I will also say that a lot of the British names mentioned have been mentioned before, ie McNair, so take that as journalists darts, just chucking another name on another day.

I wouldn't be against going 3-5-2 tomorrow.. Win the midfield battle and we can win the game.
Put Sterling on a man marking job shadowing MacGregor and their midfield out ball is stifled- stand off MacGregor and they will dominate the midfield

Wright's inclusion or otherwise won't see us winning the game. Both wings are hopeless.

Wright has started some of the biggest games we have played the last 2/3 years or so, under 3 or 4 different managers. Leipzig being one.

People's obsession with him and see him as the only reason we fail is short sighted in the extreme.

Suppose people need someone to constantly blame.

Wright has started some of the biggest games we have played the last 2/3 years or so, under 3 or 4 different managers. Leipzig being one.

People's obsession with him and see him as the only reason we fail is short sighted in the extreme.

Suppose people need someone to constantly blame.
What’s the reason for the constant half time subs whenever he starts then?

A clue, he’s not been injured :))

What’s the reason for the constant half time subs whenever he starts then?

A clue, he’s not been injured :))

Having to explain this is tiresome and some of you really need to think a bit further than 'Its pyuuure coz of Scott Wright so it is'

Im no fan of Wright but anyone with even the slightest understanding of football can see he's been entrusted by 4 managers now in a lot of big games. This will likely be because he takes on tactical information well and will work for the team.

Doesn't always work but there's a reason Gerrard, Gio and Clement pick/picked him in more tactical games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back