Simple things you miss about the football

Manualy changed half time score boards and checking them against relevant games in the programne also the blue mobility motors that used to park behind the goals at Ibrox

Scoring in the champions league and winning games like we used to

Getting lifted over the turnstile by some complete stranger, although they'd struggle to lift all 14 stone of me these days.

The wee A5 size programmes, I would check the crowd photo from the previous match hoping my face would be circled and I'd win £50...never did win!

Not Ibrox related Although the current way of checking games is a million times more easier and refined I always liked checking or looking at Ceefax results and Vidiprinter results as a kid
As a youngster I always liked going off at 6pm to the newsagents to get " the pink un" which had the results , report on the first half and local games. Down South mind,,, was there a Glasgow equivalent?

Citizen special with colour picture
Then lighting the paper in winter to keep earm

Chipmunk crisps

The gas explosion from the kiosk and we all ducked - height of the troubles

Walking back into town coz you were skint

Painted hard hats

As a youngster I always liked going off at 6pm to the newsagents to get " the pink un" which had the results , report on the first half and local games. Down South mind,,, was there a Glasgow equivalent?
Yeah, the Evening Times did one but stopped it in the early part of the 92/93 season. After that they just had it in the normal evening paper by the time you were back in the city centre after the game.

Incidentally that's just reminded me of another thing. Random folk walking up to you in the street and asking what the score was because they've clocked your scarf. Happened to me a few weeks ago walking home after the Dundee United game - hadn't had that for years.

Missing the old guy who used to shout "Hamburgers, hot dogs now, curry chips" from the food van outside the old stadium bar (now the louden).

That shout was basically a consistent feature to my Ibrox matchday experience growing up, attending each home game.

Last edited:
Standing in the enclosure, enjoying a cigarette and watching Super Ally schooling defenders.

I remember going to a Chelsea match in the West Stand and coming down into the concourse.. something was wrong and it took me a few minutes to work out it was the blanket of smoke that you used to walk into at football ground that was missing.

Folk singing, “Hey you over there, what’s it like to have no hair?” at bald strangers in the crowd.

Collecting vouchers in the programme for Cup Final or Semi Final tickets.

Blue Nose Burgers and Bears Pakora

What I don’t miss is the guy who used to sit in the Govan Rear who farted incessantly. I didn’t go to every game on my grandads ticket, only the mid weeks, but every time I went there was this stenching brown cloud that descended every 4 or 5 minutes. I asked my grandad about it and he said that if the vendor of these vile farts was ever discovered he’d be getting thrown out

Having our own branded channel on the TV guide. I’m sure i remember it being better than it actually was but I remember waiting for the channel to kick in at 7pm, before the days of on demand, internet streaming and the only way to record being VHS.

Seems like a lifetime ago but it was just into the 2000’s - when I moved here I still had to listen to games on the radio.

I was actually driving a few Saturdays ago and listened to radio commentary from an EPL game and loved it for the drive.

Seems like a lifetime ago but it was just into the 2000’s - when I moved here I still had to listen to games on the radio.

I was actually driving a few Saturdays ago and listened to radio commentary from an EPL game and loved it for the drive.
I had to pick my daughter up from something at 9:30pm last night.. so Radio 5 it was.

Hadn’t listened to a game on the radio in years - on MW as well so all the interference you remember!

Back