Six years ago today Stevie G became our manager

Pvt. Hudson

Can’t believe how quickly time has went by since then.

At the time I was unsure about his appointment but at the same time excited because of the huge name that he was. Some very memorable moments from his time in charge and I still can’t believe we had him as our manager. 55 was incredible and let’s hope those days come back very very soon.

Can’t believe how quickly time has went by since then.

At the time I was unsure about his appointment but at the same time excited because the huge name that he was. Some very memorable moments from his time in charge and I still can’t believe we had him as our manager. 55 was incredible and let’s hope those days come back very very soon.
I knew it would work...I knew it would take time to get right. It was spectacular when it all came together.

The good old days :( you just knew it would come right - although I’ll disagree with anyone who disagrees Covid probably saved him from the pressure of the support wanting him gone.

After Hamilton at home everybody I knew who went to the games was saying enough is enough.

All hypothetical but with the team doing their usual bottle crashing after Christmas he was surely a goner.

Its why I’ll never be sad for any of the current main stayers leaving they will forever be remembered at Rangers for failing more than the success the brought to us.

The good old days :( you just knew it would come right - although I’ll disagree with anyone who disagrees Covid probably saved him from the pressure of the support wanting him gone.

After Hamilton at home everybody I knew who went to the games was saying enough is enough.

All hypothetical but with the team doing their usual bottle crashing after Christmas he was surely a goner.

Its why I’ll never be sad for any of the current main stayers leaving they will forever be remembered at Rangers for failing more than the success the brought to us.
Agree with all of this.

First ive seen this.
The appointment of Gerrard was a master stroke.
It could've all gone so horribly wrong but he achieved what he set out to do.
Made us a force in Europe again & stopped Terry Munro.
Results started to slide at the end.
The way he left soured it a little but should be regarded as a Modern Day Rangers Hero imo.

Covid saved his job. I think he was ready to walk as the team had downed tools in the New Year yet again.

Gerrard saved our club though. Make no mistake. We were an absolute cluster %^*& stumbling from one disastrous manager to another.

His leaving left a sour note but history will look back on him fondly & should always be welcome back at Ibrox

The 0-5 at Parkhead was our modern nadir. Jak Alnwick (!) saved it - genuinely - from being 7/8 by the hour mark. The Tims mercifully took their foot off the gas.

To go from that to bossing and beating them at Ibrox in what, seven months? It was an unreal turnaround.

Gerrard’s circumstances cannot reasonably be compared to those of any other Rangers manager. The job he did - including making us the most successful Scottish side in Europe in modern times (by a mile) - should not be downplayed.

It’s the fashion to hate everyone and everything to do with Rangers, but I’ll be grateful to that man for the rest of my days. He pulled us back from the precipice.

A Rangers legend.

People can say what they want now but, just over 6 years ago, we had just lost the title at Parkhead in a 5-0 defeat with still 4 games or so left. It genuinely could have been 10-0 to Celtic that day. Then we appointed Gerrard and went on the most remarkable journey- beginning to remember what it was to be Rangers.

From where he picked us up to where he put us down, there has potentially never been a greater difference made to our whole club by anyone else. Certainly in the modern era. Most Rangers managers just have to come in and keep the place ticking along. He had to drag us kicking and screaming back to the top on and off the field.

I’ll be honest, I hated him when he left. I thought it was a snakey, slimy and scummy thing to do to us as fans and to Rangers. He treated us like a second class club for the fanny dazzling premier league.

In saying that, I thought then and still do now that getting Gerrard as manager was a masterstroke. Everything he did from the second he got here was aimed at making us operate as an elite unit. Everything on and off the pitch mirrored what he was used to and it showed almost immediately.

He brought us great memories and some shite ones, but he won a title unbeaten, he brought pride in the club back on the Euro stage, he hated the green grapes so much and got great results against them, none more so than 2-1 at the midden and our absolute scudding of them at Ibrox as Champions.

He got their number, and would have continued that had he not been dazzled by the bright lights that have subsequently ruined his top flight career, but it is what it is.

Gerrard will be looked upon favourably in the history books for the club, and rightly so. Everyone leaves, that stuff happens and maybe if it happened differently then some maybe feel different towards him, but he gave us the most satisfying league title in generations, and he beat the filth and hated them and that’s always good enough for me.

Loved the whole period under Stevie G.

Wasn't always smooth sailing but you could see he was building something tangible.

Culminating in the fairytale of 55.

Only regret is that we didn't go on to make it 2 or 3 in a row under him as the club were in a position to do so, before some bad decisions.

Reactions: TQ3
Saturday morning cans ma’man? :))
MNB.gif

I'd never rule it out.

He will be back one day. Mark my words ;)

Forever thankful Stevie G being our manager and the thing was after the first game against the Tim’s 1-0 he said we would never play that way against that lot again and he owned them in that fixture every time after the 1-0 jack game never worried about playing that lot

Done a very good job. Gets forgotten aswell it was his first job in management. He would have been sacked/resigned if not for Covid though I have no doubt. I dont think he can be considered a great or legend as some have him. But he is a very important manager in our history.

The 0-5 at Parkhead was our modern nadir. Jak Alnwick (!) saved it - genuinely - from being 7/8 by the hour mark. The Tims mercifully took their foot off the gas.

To go from that to bossing and beating them at Ibrox in what, seven months? It was an unreal turnaround.

Gerrard’s circumstances cannot reasonably be compared to those of any other Rangers manager. The job he did - including making us the most successful Scottish side in Europe in modern times (by a mile) - should not be downplayed.

It’s the fashion to hate everyone and everything to do with Rangers, but I’ll be grateful to that man for the rest of my days. He pulled us back from the precipice.

Legend in Liverpool. God in Glasgow. We can never underestimate what he did for us. Halfwits going "Ha ha ha 1 trophy in 9" just don't get it.

Gerrard was exactly what we needed. A guy who reminded those running the club what Rangers standards should be. We were drifting aimlessly until he showed up.

It's easy to forget just how bad a situation he inherited - 3rd in the league, 7 home defeats that season, FIFTY(!) goals conceded in the league, Celtic slapping us about for fun, a manager who had a breakdown on the touchline and was virtually in tears in post match interviews, players being grassed to HR by those in charge. We were an utter shambles.

He is the only guy we've had who showed that mob zero respect and had no fear of them. From being absolutely terrified of them to smacking them 4-1 and running their captain, manager and CEO off their premises. Gerrard owned them to the extent he was beating them with his feet up on the couch by the end.

Whatever hold we had over that mob walked out the door with him. What I'd give to get that back.

That was the start of their 10 in a row dream dying and they didn't see it coming. Gerrard took us from mediocrity to undefeated champions and made us a force in Europe, the job he done for the club really shouldn't be underestimated.

Only lost 3 games against Celtic in 3 and a half seasons. Whilst things weren't always rosy, that's not a record to be shot down considering how much we've lost since

It's very possible that we might lose that or more in just one season this year.

One of the most famous cup finals and managerial appointments in our history happened on my maw's birthday. I remind her of that every year but it never registers B-)

I remember getting zero work done that afternoon waiting on the announcement and his press conference. That's behind the scenes video is one of the best bits of content RTV have ever put out.

The man is a Rangers hero
Not only did he drag the level of the football club up not just on the pitch but off it also

And he treated Them with utter contempt and that flowed right through the team

Legend in Liverpool, God in Glasgow. His appointment put us back on the European stage in a proper manner and delivered 55 as a high point.

I was as gutted as anyone when he left; both in terms of a timing and manner however, time is a healer.

One day I hope he returns to Ibrox as a fan and gets the heroes welcome he deserves from the support.

We’ve missed him.
He will know himself it was a mistake to leave now
It's only a mistake with the benefit of hindsight. If things had worked out at Aston Villa he would be getting ready to take over from Klopp at Liverpool, his dream job.

Finished early in Paisley on the Friday, train back to Glasgow Central and subway to Ibrox.

Stood in the Louden till the big yellow breaking news bar came up and the place emptied en route to the stadium.

After the almost unbearable two years of being back in the Premiership, it was very surreal witnessing Stevie G as our manager.

55 was worth every single minute of waiting.

I've been saying this for a long time. He showed them absolutely zero respect, his teams weren't scared of them.

To go from that, to Gio and Beale (particularly Beale) sitting off...

Absolutely infuriating.

Hopefully PC has figured these cu*ts out by now...

Reactions: TQ3
To go from that, to Gio and Beale (particularly Beale) sitting off...

Absolutely infuriating.

Hopefully PC has figured these cu*ts out by now...
Initial signs on this specific area aren’t too promising, if we’re being totally honest.

Initial signs on this specific area aren’t too promising, if we’re being totally honest.

I'm a huge fan of Clement and I do think there are mitigating factors to his old firm games so far. Injuries and the freak goal after a few seconds.

But overall I just don't see the same disregard for them that Gerrard had.

Back