Sky to hit the SPFL with £100,000 bill for Dundee call offs

uneasydaz

SKY SPORTS are ready to hit the SPFL with a bill of up to £100,000 for Dundee’s pitch shambles.

And furious beaks will look to recoup some of that from Dark Blues managing director John Nelms as part of Thursday’s disciplinary hearing.

Dundee’s game with Rangers will take place at the third time of asking on Wednesday after Dens Park passed an inspection by ref Don Robertson.

But SunSport understands frustrated TV chiefs want to claw back their costs from the previous two late call-offs.

The broadcaster twice sent fully-staffed outside units to Tayside and booked commentators and presenters for the Premiership clash.

Last month’s original date was called off just 90 minutes before kick off

The rearranged clash last week was also postponed following a second pitch inspection by match official Robertson.

On both occasions, Sky suffered significant losses and they will now ask for that cash back.

The SPFL have opened a disciplinary case against Dundee and Sky’s claim could now feature as part of that.

Dundee had to fork out to St Johnstone to book McDiarmid Park as a back-up for the match.

The SPFL look certain to further hit them in the pocket, while Nelms will also be told to commit to a costly pitch revamp over the summer in a bid to solve their long-standing drainage issues.

The patchy pitch has been given the go-ahead this time and Gers gaffer Philippe Clement said: “The people who decided to play at Dens Park are 200 per cent sure we are going to play there.

“They know the weather forecast and are certain that the pitch will cope with that. It is good.

“It is good for us to know where we will play and we can prepare that.

“I think everybody, the people from Dundee and Rangers, are happy we can finally play this game.”

The SPFL don't give a damn about traveling fans, especially ours, but they can't afford to piss off Sky

If they walk away when the contract ends, where do they go for a TV contract? This might shock Doncaster into doing something

The SPFL don't give a damn about traveling fans, especially ours, but they can't afford to piss off Sky

If they walk away when the contract ends, where do they go for a TV contract? This might shock Doncaster into doing something
Doesn't have to worry, he sold the contract until 2029.

So while every other league can negotiate better terms every other year, we're tied into a deal in 2029 at 2023 prices.

Genius, eh?

I just wish someone would give Doncaster his 2yrs notice. Scottish football has been a laughing stock for a while.
If he'd been served that notice during the covid farce, when he undoubtedly should have been, he'd be long gone.

Dundee fùck up, 5 times no less.
Every other club has to pick up the tab?

Doncaster meanders on, doing the filths bidding and with his 2 year notice still not served.

Tbf Sky have an absolute cheek on them doing that.

Yes, Dundee are a joke but Sky pay Scottish football an absolute pittance and already call a lot of the shots as it is.

Meanwhile normal supporters who travelled, etc can't do anything aboht their costs and just need to suck it up.
That's not Sky's fault.
They negotiated a cracking deal for themselves, why should they be penalised for Dundee's and Doncaster's incompetence ?
Likewise, Rangers costs should be covered by Dundee.

Doesn't have to worry, he sold the contract until 2029.

So while every other league can negotiate better terms every other year, we're tied into a deal in 2029 at 2023 prices.

Genius, eh?
The Sky bosses will remember 2012 and the hassle of setting up in lower league grounds, and how Doncaster and Lawell assumed they would absorb the costs themselves. Now over a decade on, and there are top level teams who can't organise a game in March\April

In 2029, the option might be a reduced contract or none at all, especially when only 2 teams can guarantee decent viewing figures

Yes, Dundee are a joke but Sky pay Scottish football an absolute pittance and already call a lot of the shots as it is.

Meanwhile normal supporters who travelled, etc can't do anything aboht their costs and just need to suck it up.
Sky got a deal that suited them, as is their right. Those running the SPFL basically gave away the rights to the TV money branding it as a success to get more money from them while neglecting to highlight it was more games at a less per game basis.

If Sky have negotiated this with clauses for call offs then good for them. The more that shows Doncaster and McLennan to be a bunch of charlatans the better.

Perhaps incidents like this will make other clubs wake up to the damage being done to football up here thanks to dumb and dumber.

SKY SPORTS are ready to hit the SPFL with a bill of up to £100,000 for Dundee’s pitch shambles.

And furious beaks will look to recoup some of that from Dark Blues managing director John Nelms as part of Thursday’s disciplinary hearing.

Dundee’s game with Rangers will take place at the third time of asking on Wednesday after Dens Park passed an inspection by ref Don Robertson.

But SunSport understands frustrated TV chiefs want to claw back their costs from the previous two late call-offs.

The broadcaster twice sent fully-staffed outside units to Tayside and booked commentators and presenters for the Premiership clash.

Last month’s original date was called off just 90 minutes before kick off

The rearranged clash last week was also postponed following a second pitch inspection by match official Robertson.

On both occasions, Sky suffered significant losses and they will now ask for that cash back.

The SPFL have opened a disciplinary case against Dundee and Sky’s claim could now feature as part of that.

Dundee had to fork out to St Johnstone to book McDiarmid Park as a back-up for the match.

The SPFL look certain to further hit them in the pocket, while Nelms will also be told to commit to a costly pitch revamp over the summer in a bid to solve their long-standing drainage issues.

The patchy pitch has been given the go-ahead this time and Gers gaffer Philippe Clement said: “The people who decided to play at Dens Park are 200 per cent sure we are going to play there.

“They know the weather forecast and are certain that the pitch will cope with that. It is good.

“It is good for us to know where we will play and we can prepare that.

“I think everybody, the people from Dundee and Rangers, are happy we can finally play this game.”
This will see Doncaster extend the current Sky deal by a year or two - with any possible claim for compensation being the price of the extension

Dundee are a joke I agree but I cannot and will not support any corporation that dictates kick off times to suit its audience and not supporters, pays such a pitiful amount to Scottish football and employs Chris Sutton in any role with a financial claim.

Rangers and in particular Rangers fans however SHOULD be compensated for the situation that was caused by Dundee refusing to invest in that one important part of football - a bloody pitch

That's not Sky's fault.
They negotiated a cracking deal for themselves, why should they be penalised for Dundee's and Doncaster's incompetence ?
Likewise, Rangers costs should be covered by Dundee.

Its not the supporters fault either though yet no thoughts given there.

Given the pittance they pay, sky have a brass neck asking for that. It's probably their budget for biscuits down south! But it's a contract that the spfl have signed. If anyone bar Dundee have to pay a penny towards it, it's a disgrace.

If I could get compensation for all those games I travelled to back in the 60s and 70s that were called off then I'd be a rich, rich man.:confused:

Can't say I've heard of any League body, or FA, compensating travelling fans after a game has been called off. I've know the odd club do it but not a governing body.

I hope there are more compensation claims as wasn’t the weather, it’s probable negligence. And at the end of the day I hope they go into admin. Underhanded rats.

Dundee are a joke I agree but I cannot and will not support any corporation that dictates kick off times to suit its audience and not supporters, pays such a pitiful amount to Scottish football and employs Chris Sutton in any role with a financial claim.

Rangers and in particular Rangers fans however SHOULD be compensated for the situation that was caused by Dundee refusing to invest in that one important part of football - a bloody pitch
They couldn't afford to have every game on at the same time plus it would cut their audiences for the games down as everyone would only be able to watch one game at a time.

I agree with all your other points but if every game had the same KO time SKY or whoever would not be interested which would financially affect our game.

You omit a very important line there in that Scottish football accepts this pittance of a deal, with the contracts details as they are, from Sky.
They can always say “no” if they can get a better deal elsewhere.

Well we hear that the clubs make the rules (no laughing at the back about Liewell) however should their be a rule, three cancelled games, and any thereafter games forfeited 3nil to away team?

The bill should be passed straight to Dundee, topped up by money wasted by our club and fans. And if it sends them into administration, tough shit.

Separately, who the hell writes ‘furious beaks’ in an article in 2024.
same ones who have called European teams "cracks" since the early 80-90s

the scum will probably pay for their pals and look for more favours down the line

Back