So how much do you think we need to spend to compete in the CL.

DonDraper

Seriously, how much do you think we Would need to spend to compete with the 3 teams in our CL group? Also keep in mind if we sign big we need to then pay them big wages, how do we know we can afford their wages in future years if we fail to qualify for the CL with financial fair play in place.

our rivals who got beat 3-0 last night at home…I believe have won 1 champions league group game in 10 seasons.

not wanting a discussion on tonight’s performance, lack of effort etc, we all agree on that.

personally, I think we need 3 years of CL money and gradual improvement before we are in with a chance of qualifying from a group.

It’s not about competing to the latter stages.

It’s about competing momentarily should the stars align, or at least always coming as close as you can with the resources you have.

We are an absolute riot of a club that isn’t set up to succeed.

By compete do you mean qualify or sneak a win?

if you are well drilled you can beat an off form term, or end up getting lucky with an already qualified team.

If you mean getting enough points over 6 games to oust a Liverpool, Ajax, chelsea, Milan or Spurs?

then a fair whack.

We’d proven ourselves to be a very good European side against CL regulars so as much as I didn’t expect us to go any further than the group stage and possibly even finish bottom, I did at least feel we wouldn’t be embarrassed, and that was even without spending money.
Exactly! We should not have humiliated ourselves tonight as we recently beat PSV !

If you think that team is not good enough to compete with Ajax and the likes (not beat) then we are way apart on our estimations on the team.

You don’t need to be the most technically gifted player to run, make sure you are onside, mark players at corners etc.

It’s down to the way GVB is asking the team to play and the running stat says it all. Our boys are about as fit as needs to be it’s just that we try and play a possession based game with holding midfielders and 1 striker which is very hard to get up the park with when against the better teams!

We’d proven ourselves to be a very good European side against CL regulars so as much as I didn’t expect us to go any further than the group stage and possibly even finish bottom, I did at least feel we wouldn’t be embarrassed, and that was even without spending money.
I don’t buy that, playing CL teams in the Europa league is not the same. They are 100% focused in the CL, the EL is a side show for most of them

We could spend hundreds of millions but the issue we have is that we would recruit absolute shite and we would still struggle. The issue we have is that we have a manager that is far too passive and that costs us.
Why the hell have we still not brought in a Box to box midfielder that can carry the ball forward and a right winger with pace and skill?

We have proved its not all about money having reached a European final beating teams how have spent untold millions .

Its the style of play that is the most important thing and doing the basics like defend corners

Do you think that would have made the difference? think we would need about 7-8 players
Who knows how much a difference that would make. There's a lot of things that need changing in the side right now. And a game plan wouldn't go amiss either

Minus 1 year in the 90s we’ve never been a CL team. Spend how many millions ye want you could still end up finishing bottom of this group.

The atmosphere at Ibrox will win/get us points in this group

Seriously, how much do you think we Would need to spend to compete with the 3 teams in our CL group? Also keep in mind if we sign big we need to then pay them big wages, how do we know we can afford their wages in future years if we fail to qualify for the CL with financial fair play in place.

our rivals who got beat 3-0 last night at home…I believe have won 1 champions league group game in 10 seasons.

not wanting a discussion on tonight’s performance, lack of effort etc, we all agree on that.

personally, I think we need 3 years of CL money and gradual improvement before we are in with a chance of qualifying from a group.
The same amount SPL teams should have to spend to compete with us. But a little spent correctly makes you at least more competitive

How much did we spend in comparison to every opponent we faced on our EL run last season?

There are ways to bridge gaps in quality. Heart, Fight, Hunger and Desire are all non negotiable starters. We have shown none for most of this season

I don’t buy that, playing CL teams in the Europa league is not the same. They are 100% focused in the CL, the EL is a side show for most of them
We beat PSV two weeks ago, a team who’ve beaten Ajax this season and only lost the league to them by two points last year.

How do you go from one extreme to the other so rapidly?

Being honest more than we can afford to spend
We have to unearth any scottish talent and supplement with finds like bassey/ aribo and morales and good pros overlooked by teams like lundstrum / Tav/ Borna / Jack
We are shopping at a level where we need to be very lucky or exceptionally skilled at finding the level of players the money we spend is tiny in two to most of the champs league teams - our other opponents in the group have spent more on one player than we have in total
It’s the harsh financial reality of where we play

If you think that team is not good enough to compete with Ajax and the likes (not beat) then we are way apart on our estimations on the team.

You don’t need to be the most technically gifted player to run, make sure you are onside, mark players at corners etc.

It’s down to the way GVB is asking the team to play and the running stat says it all. Our boys are about as fit as needs to be it’s just that we try and play a possession based game with holding midfielders and 1 striker which is very hard to get up the park with when against the better teams!
I think when we start with a team that cost around half what they paid for Bassey then yes we are not good enough to compete with an elite team on top form in the CL , will take us 2-3 years of CL money before we get there

The price of two solid central defenders - just for starters.
Full defensive line.

As much as I love Tav and Borna, they are too timid.
I know Borna is going through a purple patch, but he'll no doubt fade as he tends to season upon season, Tav is fantastic moving forward, defensively though is a different matter.
Fantastic servant for the club, but not enough bite for the CL, that applies tonth2 defence imo.

I saw one of our players stamp his presence this evening and he's not a first team player.

King had an Ajax in front of him and he showed him total contempt shoving him out of the way, something Ajax players don't countless times to our players.
The teams weak I guess.

I think when we start with a team that cost around half what they paid for Bassey then yes we are not good enough to compete with an elite team on top form in the CL , will take us 2-3 years of CL money before we get there
It won't because the other CL teams who are miles ahead will have another 2-3 years money...

As has been said, you can't buy heart & desire.

We can't, we just dont generate enough, and would be rapidly pulled up by UEFA FFP if we did get a sugar daddy. UEFA don't want use in the champions League.

Hate to say it but that lot across the city competed with the reigning European champions - not all about spending the money - effort is a great start

Yet Dortmund & Leipzig never took it well last season
Just saying if we had met The two of them in the CL knockout stages I think it would have been a different result. No coincidence that when an elite team play in the Europa league like Barca last season they generally fail to deliver

Not looking like something we need be concerned with in the immediate future. Get a team on the park to win domestically first. Europe has given us some unexpectedly great nights in the past few years but we need to get back to basics.

Not looking like something we need be concerned with in the immediate future. Get a team on the park to win domestically first. Europe has given us some unexpectedly great nights in the past few years but we need to get back to basics.
Generally I agree with that, sort domestic first and qualify for the CL next 2-3 years and we wil, sign a different level of player.

people forget it took a couple of seasons to get to a good level in the EL, the money we received each season took us to a different level gradually, will be the same with the CL, will take 2-3 seasons before we are comfortable at this stage

The sad reality is we will never compete at the real high level in CL.

We could be owned by the Saudi government and get all the best players going, if he plays that way we would be lucky to get our the group and be nowhere near wining it.

Do you think our biggest domestic rivals at least competed last night against the holders.

Qualifying was the toss of a coin this year and we did it brilliantly. We won’t be that lucky 2-3 years on a trot while they get CL money for winning the league.

It's not about money. We completed against top quality last season and the seasons before.

Porto, Besiktas, Dortmund, Liepzig, Frankfurt, PSV etc. All often seen in CL.

Another manager gets more out of that squad than we produced tonight.
We competed against teams in the El, we are a decent El team. It doesn’t matter if they were CL teams, we played them in the EL. It’s like St Johnstone saying they beat us in the Scottish cup so should Compete with us in the league

The sad reality is we will never compete at the real high level in CL.

We could be owned by the Saudi government and get all the best players going, if he plays that way we would be lucky to get our the group and be nowhere near wining it.

Do you think our biggest domestic rivals at least competed last night against the holders.

Qualifying was the toss of a coin this year and we did it brilliantly. We won’t be that lucky 2-3 years on a trot while they get CL money for winning the league.
No I don’t think our rival compted, they got pumped at home and won’t qualify from the group. They will do well to get 3 points. It’s not a coincidence our rival has won 1 champions league group game in 10 seasons

I agree with posters who have commented that with good recruitment, you can get young, physically and technically talented players into the club, who can succeed at a high level. That is what I seen under the Gerrard era. That, allied to good first team management -- and a clear system of play -- should see a level of performance that is at least competative.

I feel that both recruitment and first team management need to improve markedly.

Last edited:
What annoyed me most about this comment was that it's not about competing to win the trophy and winning every game as that level. We as fans know that, we are not idiots.

It's the nature of the failure both today and domestically.

If we fail having left every ounce of energy and our team played to the peak of their abilities more often than not that, then there could be no complaints but we lay down and took it...again.

Back