So it's McGregor for the rest of the season?

nateman

Sticking with him for today's game just shows that there's likely no chance he's ever going to be out of Gio's starting 11.

Doesn't fill me with any deal of confidence honestly - despite having absolutely nothing to do today he still managed to look nervy on 1 or 2 occasions.

I feel we'll be regretting this decision to stick with McGregor come the end of the season.

Unfortunately it looks like it.

I’m wondering if he will even make any more subs this season. Such a strange manager we now have.

Looks like it. Not great for the squad overall when someone has consistently underperformed but no-one gets a look in.

Luckily had nothing to do but still somehow almost managed to cost us with that mix-up.

He has hit an age where self preservation comes into your thoughts. Think that was shown with the Tav incident tonight. There was hesitation where as if he was 10 yrs younger would have cleaned up the ball and their player.

Heart in the mouth every set-piece and that moment of madness with him and Tav.

It's the choice of the manager to stick with him so we need to back him.

Hopefully somehow retires at end of the season with a Scottish Premiership (56) winners medal.

When he went down after getting the ball kicked out of his hands he should have gone straight for the ball instead of looking for the foul

Keeps a clean sheet and is still a target from the posters on here who need a whipping boy every game, take a night of ffs
Or maybe people aren’t blinded to just how bad he is now. Don’t think anyones looking for a whipping boy just concerned that Gio is sticking with him.

Just be thankful his awful decision making didn't cost us tonight.

The one he ran outside his box and cleared it straight to a St Johnstone player with his left foot then the one where Tav was signalling to him but McGregor hesitated and ended up having to punch it.

That’s not even all of them.

- caught a ball edge of his six yard box like he was catching an nfl punt. What happened to high pointing the ball or at least taking it higher to negate ordinary players chances to get a touch.

- the corner Kamara barely cleared and the guy sliced his shot wide. He had all day to walk out and collect the ball with zero st Johnstone players near him and he still stuttered forwards then backwards on his line.

- start of the 2nd half I pointed out to my mates that his sliced bad kick and being anchored to his line gave StJ a throw in bang on line with our box. 3 minutes of football and his poor kicking and positioning gave them a field position their clogger tactics thrive on.

As others have said it was a relative calm mcgregor game compared to others but there were still serious issues.

Couple of early corners were in the air for ages, one inside the 6 yard box. Wasn't blocked but didn't come and collect.

He’s just such a liability now which is a shame considering the level he was at. You can see the whole defence is very hesitant to even pass back the ball under pressure because they don’t trust him.

I’ll reiterate what I said before the match we won’t win the league with McGregor in goals and he will cost Gio his job in the summer.

Keeps a clean sheet and is still a target from the posters on here who need a whipping boy every game, take a night of ffs
You’re on an almighty turd polishing mission tonight man. “3 points, clean sheet, nothing to see here”. Ignorant to the state of the performance and the fact our keeper still looked a liability in a game where he barely had to face a shot.

That’s not even all of them.

- caught a ball edge of his six yard box like he was catching an nfl punt. What happened to high pointing the ball or at least taking it higher to negate ordinary players chances to get a touch.

- the corner Kamara barely cleared and the guy sliced his shot wide. He had all day to walk out and collect the ball with zero st Johnstone players near him and he still stuttered forwards then backwards on his line.

- start of the 2nd half I pointed out to my mates that his sliced bad kick and being anchored to his line gave StJ a throw in bang on line with our box. 3 minutes of football and his poor kicking and positioning gave them a field position their clogger tactics thrive on.

As others have said it was a relative calm mcgregor game compared to others but there were still serious issues.

You can tell the defence have no confidence in him at all. Couple of times Balogun and Tav signalled to him but he was in two minds and it almost cost us.

Why can't Gio see it?

There were several occasions where we were under pressure and could have headed back to McGregor and instead they tried to clear it.

I can’t understand it at all, he has cost us several games

Not filling me with confidence and feeding off his unworldly ability to pull off saves against the scum and good teams but the bread and butter, he gives me the fear.

From our POTY last season to a total disaster this.

He's went from looking like a jungle cat with some of the saves he made last season to a frail old man.

I'm not sure I've ever seen such a drastic drop in an ageing players ability/form.

He made a save tonight and just about spilled it to one of their forwards. The defence looks like it just doesn’t trust him at all, the one near the end with tav just about summed it up. If gio can’t see that mcgregor playing mid probably gonna cost us the league then I can’t see him being manager long term.

Gio watches the gk's. He rates AM the best of them. We clearly have problems that need solved in the summer.

He looks completely devoid of confidence and it’s spreading to the rest of the defence. Really sad to see for a guy who has always appeared such a confident and assertive figure.

Even against a completely toothless St Johnstone side he looked a bag of nerves and could have cost us.

He needs to be having an honest conversation with Gio about his current state. The club must come first.

He made a save tonight and just about spilled it to one of their forwards. The defence looks like it just doesn’t trust him at all, the one near the end with tav just about summed it up. If gio can’t see that mcgregor playing mid probably gonna cost us the league then I can’t see him being manager long term.

He made a similar save against Dortmund. Wasn't even a hard shot but he spilled it.

What I don't understand is that there seems to be a complete disconnect between Gerrard's conditioning team and Gio's.

This is what Gerrard said earlier this season:

“We are going to have to (manage McGregor).

“He’s at that age. He’s made a decision for us to play on, and have had that chat and it was about me saying to Allan at times we are going to have to look after him.

"We want Allan fit for the rest of the season, he is so important for us, but I can’t ask him to go game, game game.

“His body is at a stage where he needs looking after at times.”

Van Bronckhorst would disagree, given he is seemingly the first name on the team sheet. Who is right then? What has changed, exactly?

with his ratio of mistakes at the moment with 9 games to go he only has maybe 2 or 3 gamechanging mistakes left this season, whats the worry?:rolleyes:

Sticking with him for today's game just shows that there's likely no chance he's ever going to be out of Gio's starting 11.

Doesn't fill me with any deal of confidence honestly - despite having absolutely nothing to do today he still managed to look nervy on 1 or 2 occasions.

I feel we'll be regretting this decision to stick with McGregor come the end of the season.
Made a decent save in the first half and made no mistakes.

Wasn't ropey in any way last night.

Take it you didn't watch the game?

Rushed out his box for no reason and nearly gave the ball away with the clearance. Rushed out his box again when Tav wanted to head it back, then he hesitated and went back into his box, only before punching it away instead of catching it.

Basically he's putting us under so much unnecessary pressure. St Johnstone created nothing last night yet he was nearly gifting them moments again.

Back