Some statistic analysis of yesterdays game

cloodie

Official Ticketer
The fella doing this supports Them but I've always found him to be very fair and he was castigated by many scum supporters at the start of the season for pointing out their signgings weren't great whereas ours had solved every issue that we had last season. Even when the scum were winning he was pointing out there were major problems.

He basically points out we were taking it easy and still strolled the game with them being nowehere near the dominant team (on the day) that many are trying to claim.

I should point out that you need to open the tweet to read the full analysis on the following tweets.

Interesting point about Davis and Brown. How we have made a mistake in offering him another year when he is on the decline as a player. While Celtic have yet to offer Brown anything.

Interesting point about Davis and Brown. How we have made a mistake in offering him another year when he is on the decline as a player. While Celtic have yet to offer Brown anything.
Im fine with us offering Davis a deal as long as it was on a reduced wage and with the expectation that we will hopefully be phasing him out next season with his replacement coming in the summer. So I kinda agree with him regarding Davis. What's also interesting to see is that the stats show Davis performed better than Brown yesterday, despite him getting MOTM (which was a joke)

Last edited:
Good points apart from Davis, hes been phenomenal this year and to compare him to Brown is madness
Don't want to turn this into a whole discussion about Davis but he's comparing how we both proceed, or don't, with an ageing midfielder rather than saying they are both the same. They're different players in terms of style.

Don't want to turn this into a whole discussion about Davis but he's comparing how we both proceed, or don't, with an ageing midfielder rather than saying they are both the same. They're different players in terms of style.
Okay fair point .. Id say he has earned another year with his performances however

I'd love access to wyscout but can't justify spending 250 euros per year to see their data.

Free ones like footballcritic and transfermarkt are good but I don't think they are always accurate.

Im fine with us offering Davis a deal as long as it was on a reduced wage and with the expectation that we will hopefully be phasing him out next season with his replacement coming in the summer. So I kinda agree with him regarding Davis. What's also interesting to see is that the stats show David performed better than Brown yesterday, despite him getting MOTM (which was a joke)
If that is the case I am all for it. Obviously Davis has been in phenomenal form but one eye if not both need to be on the future. I have never seen anything in Brown, ever especially now. How he got Motm is a mystery.

Im fine with us offering Davis a deal as long as it was on a reduced wage and with the expectation that we will hopefully be phasing him out next season with his replacement coming in the summer. So I kinda agree with him regarding Davis. What's also interesting to see is that the stats show David performed better than Brown yesterday, despite him getting MOTM (which was a joke)
Why would you want him on a reduced wage?

A fair analysis, apart from Davis/Brown, pretty much corresponds with my impression of the game.
I had never been so less up for an Old Firm as yesterday's and thought the team pretty much felt the same.
Don't think the Ibrox match will be the same and already looking forward to it.

Why would you want him on a reduced wage?
If we bring in a replacement then I'd see him becoming more of a bit part player. We need to be ruthless going on from here and if Davis is one of our higher earners, and I'm assuming he is having come from the Premiership, then keeping him on that level of wage will reduce the funds available to pay for his replacement.

I'd love access to wyscout but can't justify spending 250 euros per year to see their data.

Free ones like footballcritic and transfermarkt are good but I don't think they are always accurate.
That sounds like something that would be absolutely great to look through for a few hours but buyers remorse would be strong.

It's basically the stats backing up what I was watching yesterday.
At least this guy doesn't seem to be bitterly hurting and squares off his disappointment with criticaly thought out arguments using stats to back up and disprove his points.
It's refreshing from one of them tbh.

If we bring in a replacement then I'd see him becoming more of a bit part player. We need to be ruthless going on from here and if Davis is one of our higher earners, and I'm assuming he is having come from the Premiership, then keeping him on that level of wage will reduce the funds available to pay for his replacement.
Gerrard loves Davis' contribution on and off the pitch - he won't be getting reduced wages.

Gerrard loves Davis' contribution on and off the pitch - he won't be getting reduced wages.
I'd genuinely be very surprised if he isn't on a lower deal than the one we required to pay him to get him from Southamption. He'll be 37 next season and realistically won't be going anywhere else. Would be madness to continue paying him at the same rate and there's nothing unusual about a players earnings dropping when they've passed their peak and are coming to the end of their career.

Good points apart from Davis, hes been phenomenal this year and to compare him to Brown is madness

I actually agree with his point about Davis "hitting a wall" at European level. He still strolls through games in the SPFL and is definitely worth another year for what he offers us in the league, but it was clear in the Slavia games - and perhaps others - that physically he has declined too much to impose himself if we're trying to be serious about Europe.

JD wasn't even involved in the European squad this season. Not suggesting we need to do the same for Davis, but we definitely do need more legs in there when we come up against teams of the quality of Slavia. That's when Davis is now being exposed IMO.

Still clearly offers far more than Brown does domestically however, so not quite sure why he was comparing them in that manner.

The fella doing this supports Them but I've always found him to be very fair and he was castigated by many scum supporters at the start of the season for pointing out their signgings weren't great whereas ours had solved every issue that we had last season. Even when the scum were winning he was pointing out there were major problems.

He basically points out we were taking it easy and still strolled the game with them being nowehere near the dominant team (on the day) that many are trying to claim.

That’s actually a very good factual analysis and whether you buy into Gx etc it’s opinions based on data that seem to go against the conventional ‘wisdom’ of the punditry set. The stuff on Brown was interesting. I take his point on Davis to an extent but it’s foolish to compare a donkey to a thoroughbred advancing years or not.

A fair analysis, apart from Davis/Brown, pretty much corresponds with my impression of the game.
I had never been so less up for an Old Firm as yesterday's and thought the team pretty much felt the same.
Don't think the Ibrox match will be the same and already looking forward to it.
He’s saying Davis had a comparable (if not slightly better) impact than Brown based off the stats but the media had Brown delivering an exceptional performance.

I think a lot of that had to to with it being his last old firm game or certainly the last where he’ll look like he’s able to compete at that level still. I expect the home game and possible Scottish cup to be a repeat of the earlier old firm games and he’ll be bypassed.

I actually agree with his point about Davis "hitting a wall" at European level. He still strolls through games in the SPFL and is definitely worth another year for what he offers us in the league, but it was clear in the Slavia games - and perhaps others - that physically he has declined too much to impose himself if we're trying to be serious about Europe.

JD wasn't even involved in the European squad this season. Not suggesting we need to do the same for Davis, but we definitely do need more legs in there when we come up against teams of the quality of Slavia. That's when Davis is now being exposed IMO.

Still clearly offers far more than Brown does domestically however, so not quite sure why he was comparing them in that manner.

Davis is being mentioned as a POTY candidate so it is crazy to mention him and Brown in the same sentence.

Not read the stats but we are not the same team without Davis lately , with jack and arfield both being out injured (later off form since came back too) , we haven’t been able to rotate/rest him as much as usual. That’s before you go into how non existent Joe aribo can be as part of the midfield 3 last few game and 36 year old Davis can’t be 2 places at once anymore to cover that , hence why been overrun

Interesting although wonder why he's cut off the table used to compare Davis and Brown in Europe? I suspect the forward passes etc for Davis vs Brown don't back up his Europe narrative

Really good analysis, in fact not a lot to disagree with.

His point about them being seen as "dominant" when it isn't the case, is exactly why I don't ever want to disavow them of that notion. Let them continue thinking they have better players, are superior etc. It stops them actually trying to improve.

I haven't read the article, however, Davis is a different proposition than Brown.
His body shape is different and from what I can glean so is his lifestyle.
Davis is a thoroughbred, he carries no body fat and by all accounts keeps himself in perfect shape without being distracted by diversions away from his profession.
I don't think anyone has ever photographed Davis bevvied on the street clawing feverishly at a kebab?

I noticed even as they were having a real go yesterday, the Filth still had fewer touches in our box than we managed in theirs.

Back